How bad do Balenciaga's fade?

sbogata

O.G.
Dec 29, 2006
I've been debating on jumping into the Balenciaga craze, but have been discouraged about the leather fading. I take fairly good care of my bags, but I don't want to buy one that I'm going to have look after frantically while I'm using it. I've read about owners covering their bags while driving and having the bag in the passenger seat. So how easy and fast does a Balenciaga to fade? I'm looking in to a Raisin, Charcoal, or Black City bag. Any advice would be appreciated!

Some specific colors from past seasons say: cornflower, french blue and 06 lilac are now known to be easy "faders" - that said: if you keep them out of the sun (i know i know) then perhaps it wouldn't happen as fast.

With the darker more recent bags I think it's best to keep direct sunlight to a minimum and some people think that treatments such as a rain or stain protection spray might decrease the fading issue. Just like any other luxury item: it's all about how you take care of it.

HTH

The lighter bags fade more than the darker bags. I doubt raisin will fade that much if at all. Black bags can sometimes turn a greenish black color. I also don't think that Charcoal/ anthracite fades that much but I could totally be wrong - I am no Balenciaga expert.

The bags that I have noticed that fade considerably are the lighter colors: light blues, light picks, light greens, creams/ beige colors etc..

I am sure a Bal expert will come along and help out further. You can also search and I am sure you find all kinds of threads on the subject. Hope this helps!

Any bag with some sort of bluetone in it might be prone to fading... French Blue, Violet, Turquoise (newer maybe 08, not 05) have all had issues. Haven't seen too many complaints about the reds, and the browns all seem pretty solid.

i think every color has some fading issues if you put them under the sun...
if you are really in love with a color that has potential to fade, i think you better get one that you wont mind even if it has faded! some faded colors will make the bag unique and add character to it!

i have both violet and sapphire, my violet is still new, but i can see it has potential to fade, but i do not mind about it. while my sapphire did not fade, but somehow the front just went darker...i don't know why...so for raisin...i think it will look great as long as it is not hugely faded!

same for anthra, i think even if it fades, it will look good, as long as you don't see any yellowing...

for black, sometimes i think it is like gambling if you buy the current season black...cause you never know it will turn green or not until maybe after a couple months of use...

Thanks everyone! I've looked through previous threads and have found that fading does vary by color. I think I'm focusing on Raisin and Charcoal now. Keep the advice coming. Also, do any of you have methods to prevent fading, besides avoiding sunlight? Thanks again!

Well, I do keep my bags very well and do moisturise, but the 08 Sapphire has faded in an uneven way. At the corners and even, unevenly, on the bag itself.

This is how bad mine had faded that i dyed it black.

IMG_0495.jpg

As beautiful as they are, stay away from blues and light colors. Both my french blue and turquoise bags faded. Magenta is another color that doesn't wear well. The corners tend to turn bluish....

But I've never had an issue with my darker colors and Apple Conditioner and really been helpful.

As beautiful as they are, stay away from blues and light colors. Both my french blue and turquoise bags faded. Magenta is another color that doesn't wear well. The corners tend to turn bluish....

But I've never had an issue with my darker colors and Apple Conditioner and really been helpful.

my turquoise PT faded and i am sick sick sick. i took it in to get the corners touched up (which i had done on my amethyst city and it was amazing) and there must have been some miscommunication because he dyed them and now the top and bottom corners are dark and the rest is still faded! i don't know if i should just have him dye the rest of the bag or what. UGH. disaster. i don't know what to do.

I have a pre-loved Cornflower Purse and it had definitely faded before I got it but I have to say it is my fave Bal bag. It is the softest thing ever (I can almost roll it into a ball); I think the fading/usage makes it look very cool and vintage.

I get lots of compliments on it, whereas my Truffle City--no one looks at twice. I doubt it will ever fade. Except for the corners, it looks very very new, even the tassels. :shrugs: