How aware are you of FIV and FeLV?

saz123

Apr 25, 2007
My gorgeous cat Mini, (adopted cat his mother was a stray) after a large number of visits to the vets over the past year, was diagnosed in April with both FIV and FeLV. The majority of the vet visits were due to biting incidents which were treated, I had unfortunately no idea, or informed how prolific and devastating these diseases can be to the cat population. These diseases are fatal and suppress the immune system on the cat, similar to HIV in humans. Please please, learn from my lack of knowledge.:heart: Vaccinate your cats against FeLV and neuter/spay. On a positive note, since I had to get the rest of the cats tested (mostly feral cat population) everyone was clear and Mini had to move house to my Mums, his is doing quite well, although hes a little bored being housebound, he's thriving tho! Has made friends with my mums mini Schuanzer Tina.

I hope he has many good months to come, but he'll always know how much I love him:heart::heart::heart::heart:

^You should really get the others tested again in six months. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes a while for a positive test (almost like HIV). FIV is passed through sex and deep, penetrating bites. FeLV is passed through saliva - including food bowls.

When I was growing up our pet cat (who was also an outside cat) died from FeLV and it was absolutely devastating. We didn't find out until it was way too late (two days before he passed) and, like you, we knew nothing of either disease and we learned the hard way.

I am so sorry to hear about Mini. If Mini stays healthy, she can live quite some time! She may be bored but keeping her in and away from other cats will prolong her life. :yes:

I volunteer for a no-kill cat rescue and placement center. One of our shelters has been designated solely for rescued FeLV and FIV positive kitties. They are sometimes adopted but, for the most part, they live out the rest of their lives there. They are treated like royalty (no cages whatsoever) and boy do they deserve it!

Yeah they should be retested in 12 weeks, which they have been and there fine, two of my cats are indoors cats and they haven't been outside since they were very young.
The disease is said to be more prevalent in young male cats that wander. Unfortunately I found out because the week before he was diagnosed i got him neutered, because he was always coming home with bites , which had to be treated at the vets, so bad on one instance where the wound had to lanced. The vet however never told me that cats with bites should be tested 4 months after the instance. Any way after he was neutered he was on a course of antibiotics, while giving him the tablets i discovered his raised glands, and then took him to the vets.
I felt that the vets were not entirely happy that I wanted to take Mini home, and they only wanted the euthanised route. But I didnt feel that was an option, hes a true star, I have been reading about the disease and it is estimated that FeLV cats can live up to 51 months after diagnosis, so heres hoping, with TLC and as many toys inside the house as he can handle, he'll have a very happy life.