Hostess gift for the wealthy boss with everything?

Feb 26, 2007
Hello fabulous peeps,

I have received an invitation from the owner of the company I work for to attend a Christmas party at this home. There will probably be 50-100 from the company attending, and I have no idea what to take as a hostess gift. It's safe to say his family is wanting for nothing given they're one of the wealthiest families in the country, so I'm really stumped. They're Jewish, so I'm not sure if they celebrate Christmas as such, but nor do I know if they're Jewish like I'm Catholic (main holidays celebrated but a bit of a hethan otherwise! :biggrin: ).

A few things I've thought of so far:
- Candle (something like Cire Trudon)
- A nice silver Christmas bauble engraved with a quote or something and the year
- Bottle of wine (yawn...I'm sure whatever I bring won't even come close to matching what he probably drinks from his cellar every day!)
- Flowers (yawn, again!)
- Fresh Christmas wreath (but not sure it they'll even celebrate Christmas)
- Homebaked something (but maybe he's so wealthy he has a taster who tries all food to check it's not poisoned, and it will go straight in the bin! Ha ha)

I'm conscious that if even half the employees bring a gift they'll probably receive 25-100 things of varying usefulness. I also don't want to go over the top with spending lots of money as it almost seems ridiculous to spend lots of money on something they probably don't even want and could have bought themselves 100 times over if they did want it. I was considering not taking anything at all??! But is that the height of rudeness?

Politics, politics. All this for a man who probably wouldn't recognise me if he ran over me in his Rolls Royce :P

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

x

I would only go with alcohol - wine, scotch, port, etc. I would not buy anything Xmas related since you don't know if they celebrate it.

I would only go with alcohol - wine, scotch, port, etc. I would not buy anything Xmas related since you don't know if they celebrate it.

this. not only might they not celebrate xmas, but if they do they probably have a fancy home with very particular decorations.

alcohol or a box of fine chocolates from a high-end chocolatier. sure they'll get a lot of these things, but they are useful, they will be consumed. (or re-gifted, which is fine too, it's the not-showing-up-empty-handed that counts.)

I know someone who can buy anything they want, price is no object. Trying to ding a gift is so hard because they have everything. You know what I was told is the best gift they enjoy-my fancy homemade chocolate chip cookies using the Tate bake shop recipe. :smile: sometimes when you have everything it may be the simple things that have some meaning because time was put into a gift. How many bottles of wine, ect. Can a person need. Many people may not even drink or have drinking problems.

I also have given beautiful plants which can be nice because flowers die within a week. Hubby has sent wealthy clients smoked salmon from Ireland/Scotland. That was a gift that always was a big hit.

Are they Kosher? I wouldn't buy them food.

With alcohol, they can serve it at the party if they don't want it for themselves.

I think with a coffee table book you would need to know their interests and it doesn't sound like you do.

Honestly, them having a lot of money is irrelevant :smile: They're just like everyone else and would appreciate any gift you bring IMO.
I'd choose a nice bottle of wine and swath it in a swanky cover :yes:

Bring a nice bottle of wine with a thank you note attached. Most likely they will have it opened for the guests to enjoy. Its not about giving them something they are going to use it is about appreciating their hospitality.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the suggestions. I think the message is that it's the thought that counts! I was worried that I'd turn up with a bottle of wine that would immediately be put on a table with the 50 other bottles that everyone else came with, but at the end of the day, I don't really know them so trying to do anything super special is going to be tough.

Thanks again!! :smile:

alwaysinvogue said:
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the suggestions. I think the message is that it's the thought that counts! I was worried that I'd turn up with a bottle of wine that would immediately be put on a table with the 50 other bottles that everyone else came with, but at the end of the day, I don't really know them so trying to do anything super special is going to be tough.

Its a party. They are opening their home for people to come together and enjoy. A table full of wine and food is all good. And sharing wine with other guests who also brought wine is part of the fun.

alwaysinvogue said:

The more wine the better!