Horrible USPS Guy!

kcarmona

Feb 21, 2013
Let me start off with the fact that my USPS guy is horrible. I live in a town home community and there is a mailbox area for everyone's mailboxes. There are also larger mailboxes that he leaves keys for when you get a package.

Anyways, he's never gotten my signature for signature confirmation packages. About 6 packages this year and not once has he gotten my signature. He either leaves the package in a box or leaves the pink slip when I KNOW I was home. I think he's just too lazy to walk/drive to my house specifically.

Tonight I was expecting a Chanel bag from eBay. Signature required. As usual, he just leaves it I presume because it says Delivered and there was a key in my box. I go to retrieve the bag from the corresponding lockbox and lo and behold it is EMPTY.

The tracking originally said delivered but I checked it again after finding the empty lockbox and now I just checked the tracking again and it has been changed to "Notice left, no authorized recipient."

My package was stolen. I checked the front door and he left the pinkslip for the package, but he ALSO left the package. (I don't understand that?) Anyways, the package was RIPPED into and the bag was stolen. The weird this is that 1. He left the package AND the pinkslip saying he couldn't deliver it. 2. The confirmation number on the pinkslip is different than the one I've been using, but I know it is the same package because of the sellers name on the pinkslip.

None of this would of happened if he would of just WAITED TO GET MY SIGNATURE! This is obviously USPS's fault. What should be my course of action? Thanks.

Last edited:
Let me start off with the fact that my USPS guy is horrible. I live in a town home community and there is a mailbox area for everyone's mailboxes. There are also larger mailboxes that he leaves keys for when you get a package.

Anyways, he's never gotten my signature for signature confirmation packages. About 6 packages this year and not once has he gotten my signature. He either leaves the package in a box or leaves the pink slip when I KNOW I was home. I think he's just too lazy to walk/drive to my house specifically.

Tonight I was expecting a Chanel bag from eBay. Signature required. As usual, he just leaves it I presume because it says Delivered and there was a key in my box. I go to retrieve the bag from the corresponding lockbox and lo and behold it is EMPTY.

The tracking originally said delivered but I checked it again after finding the empty lockbox and now I just checked the tracking again and it has been changed to "Notice left, no authorized recipient."

My package was stolen. I checked the front door and he left the pinkslip for the package, but he ALSO left the package. (I don't understand that?) Anyways, the package was RIPPED into and the bag was stolen. The weird this is that 1. He left the package AND the pinkslip saying he couldn't deliver it. 2. The confirmation number on the pinkslip is different than the one I've been using, but I know it is the same package because of the sellers name on the pinkslip.

None of this would of happened if he would of just WAITED TO GET MY SIGNATURE! This is obviously USPS's fault. What should be my course of action? Thanks.

I'm not sure exactly what the protocol in the US would be, but if this happened to me ( I'm in Canada), I would think that if I opened a dispute with ebay, the seller would have to provide a signature in order to prove you received it. Without your signature, ebay would have to side with you in a dispute would they not?

Last edited:
I'm not sure. Would eBay refund me even though it is USPS's fault? I can't imagine them getting money from the seller. It's not the sellers fault. The seller put Signature Confirmation so this wouldn't happen, and the delivery guy blatantly ignored that.

Sorry this happened to you :sad:. I'd keep the package and notify the seller as presumably this was insured? I don't know if you would file a claim or the seller. Also, you may want to move this thread to the eBay forum since this was an eBay purchase.

Can you stop at the post office and see if they have the package? If so, at least this shipment will have a signature.

While you are there you may want to mention the shoddy service you are receiving.

Sorry this happened to you :sad:. I'd keep the package and notify the seller as presumably this was insured? I don't know if you would file a claim or the seller. Also, you may want to move this thread to the eBay forum since this was an eBay purchase.

I believe it is only insured for the $50 that comes with priority mail. I have no idea what to do since technically it was not the seller's fault. She did the right thing by adding signature confirmation, and the USPS guy ignored that and left it anyways. Btw - I paid with an American Express so I am hopefully covered there if not through eBay or USPS.

Can you stop at the post office and see if they have the package? If so, at least this shipment will have a signature.

While you are there you may want to mention the shoddy service you are receiving.

This is the weird thing. The notice left is definitely for the package that was left at my door. So I doubt there is anything at the post office. But I am going to take the ripped box, pinkslip, plus a print out of the tracking that states that is WASN'T delivered when it in fact was.

Btw - I paid with an Amex. Does anyone know if I am covered with them if all else fails with USPS and eBay?

Yes, you will be covered. However, as stated, your seller will likely be SOL. The USPS doesn't seem to care if they do their job or not and neither will EBay. I am hoping the seller would be able to file an insurance claim, but you are saying the package was not in their hands when rifled so, it is not likely. I feel horrible for your seller.

Yes, you will be covered. However, as stated, your seller will likely be SOL. The USPS doesn't seem to care if they do their job or not and neither will EBay. I am hoping the seller would be able to file an insurance claim, but you are saying the package was not in their hands when rifled so, it is not likely. I feel horrible for your seller.

I feel very bad for them too! I hate that this is happening and it is a horrible situation for everyone :sad: So what should I do? After I take everything to USPS tomorrow and they (probably) do nothing for me, should I contact eBay? Or the seller directly? or Paypal?

Or should I go straight to the CC?

This is so bad and for you and your poor seller!!! Do you know if your seller purchased insurance for the package? Are you saying that there is no signature on file - instead it just says that you haven't picked it up? Also, the tracking was changed from "Delivered" to "notice left"? This is really shady - it sounds like your postmaster may have been blatantly involved in the theft which is pretty serious.

I hope others with more experience chime in but this is what I would do

a) go to the post office to make sure that the package isn't there. I would also complain about your horrible service while you are there and let them know that you checked the tracking and it changed from "delivered" to "notice left" meaning someone made a conscious effort to change the tracking. I think they need to investigate your usps guy.
b) After verifying that the package is not at the post office, I would contact the seller with a pic of the package and your story to see if she can file a claim with the post office.
c) I would also file a claim with the postal system for mail fraud

Definitely keep the packaging and take a picture of it to show the seller as it may help them with their claim. I certainly hope the seller purchased insurance. If the package doesn't show a signature and it says you didn't pick it up, you may be out of money. However, if the seller didn't purchase insurance and there is no proof of delivery, she/he may be out of money. Either way, someone loses money and doesn't get the bag. Even if you file a claim with your credit card, you will be protected but the seller is SOL. I'm so sorry this happened.

I feel very bad for them too! I hate that this is happening and it is a horrible situation for everyone :sad: So what should I do? After I take everything to USPS tomorrow and they (probably) do nothing for me, should I contact eBay? Or the seller directly? or Paypal?

Or should I go straight to the CC?

If nothing pans out at the post office, I'd contact the seller first so that she can initiate an insurance claim with the post office. make sure that you save all of the slips / packaging so that she can do this.

Insurance claims take FOREVER, so she may have to refund you before she gets anything back from the post office. I'd give her as much time as possible, but if need be, file an INR claim with PayPal to get your money back; the CC chargeback should be a last resort.