Holiday Party Outfits

preppie

O.G.
Jun 19, 2007
Now that the holidays are upon us, I am sitting on a dozen holiday party invites and struggling to figure out what to wear. Most of cocktail or “festive” dress, with a lot of overlapping attendees leaving me in the position to find multiple outfits this year.

How is everyone handling their holiday dressing this year? Does it feel like everyone is having parties this year after a few quiet Covid seasons or is that just me?

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
Yes agree. This is why I prefer separates that can be combined to look like different things, like gaucho pants that look like either pants or a long skirt or a sleeveless off the shoulder top that can be added to a skirt to resemble a dress or pants for a pantsuit look

It’s also easier to combine things if I restrict my color palette.

Have fun!

ETA: even with overlapping attendees, I don’t mind wearing a few favorites multiple times JMO

Last edited:
Yes, parties are back! I have several with overlapping attendees. My approach is to map or plan it all out in advance, so that I don't repeat an outfit to the same group of people in the same year, or at the same event from year to year. People will see the same outfit season to season but, it will be at different events, X's party vs Y's party vs one I host myself. This works best with separates. I like to pair black pants with a sparkly jacket, sometimes velvet, sometimes silk or even wool. Shoes depend on how much standing or walking I will be doing. I keep it all in a notebook and can refer back to see what I have worn when. My feeling is that if you are hanging around at these functions with leaders and managers, people will notice you.

Yes, parties are back! I have several with overlapping attendees. My approach is to map or plan it all out in advance, so that I don't repeat an outfit to the same group of people in the same year, or at the same event from year to year. People will see the same outfit season to season but, it will be at different events, X's party vs Y's party vs one I host myself. This works best with separates. I like to pair black pants with a sparkly jacket, sometimes velvet, sometimes silk or even wool. Shoes depend on how much standing or walking I will be doing. I keep it all in a notebook and can refer back to see what I have worn when. My feeling is that if you are hanging around at these functions with leaders and managers, people will notice you.
I am going to have to do this with a spreadsheet to understand how many interchangeable piece I am going to need at this point. The one hand, happy parties are back, on the other I am already stressed just thing about it! My guess so far is I have one three events with no overlap, so I think I need a bit in outfitting. I just ended up buying two pairs of shoes (Amina Muaddi Lily and a new pair of MB Hangisi) that I think would work for all 12 events (and if not, gonna have to pull something else I already own.)

This biggest issue is since the last big party season I have gained 25 pounds (combination of pandemic and health issues) so almost no evening or cocktail attire in my closet will fit. I have to start from scratch! I may have to focus on a few LBD or interchangeable bits that may work outside of holiday to make the cost per wear worth it.

I am going to have to do this with a spreadsheet to understand how many interchangeable piece I am going to need at this point. The one hand, happy parties are back, on the other I am already stressed just thing about it! My guess so far is I have one three events with no overlap, so I think I need a bit in outfitting. I just ended up buying two pairs of shoes (Amina Muaddi Lily and a new pair of MB Hangisi) that I think would work for all 12 events (and if not, gonna have to pull something else I already own.)

This biggest issue is since the last big party season I have gained 25 pounds (combination of pandemic and health issues) so almost no evening or cocktail attire in my closet will fit. I have to start from scratch! I may have to focus on a few LBD or interchangeable bits that may work outside of holiday to make the cost per wear worth it.

Your shoes sound fabulous. If you don’t mind my saying so, I’ve been 25 pounds heavier, and an A line longer skirt ( like dior) creates a slimmer look and the illusion of an hourglass figure.

I personally think MGC at dior cannot be a feminist bc her waists are really not forgiving, but that’s just my sour grapes bc I have a large waist for my size.

Another thing that has helped me is relying on structured tops that skim the figure rather than knits that hug.

Although the one exception are knit tops by courreges. They are really flattering IDKW or how.

Happy shopping :smile:

ETA: a wider pant can be flattering if it’s cut correctly and is fitted through the waist. A legging, when I am at the sad top of my weight range, can look sausage like. When I am heavier, I avoid scarves bc they make me look hobbit like it like a top heavy mushroom

Last edited:
Reviving a year old thread as party season is upon us already…

I have a Christmas party on the 14th December and another on the 19th, something on the 28th etc.

Last year was very quiet in comparison ..this year the shops are full of sequins or sequins (I’ve never worn sequins).

I wanted to be able to dance and didn’t want to spend thousands as obviously it’s not exactly a wardrobe staple.

I’ve bought

Zara black sequin jacket in XS

Commando black sequin leggings in XS (from Net a Porter)

With a Skims ruched bodysuit, Tods mock croc patent shoes, evening bag and jewellery and my hair done.

Please post your holiday partywear!

Attachments

• 06DA8B65-6CE9-453A-9041-6494E92E8E9F.jpeg
    06DA8B65-6CE9-453A-9041-6494E92E8E9F.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 9C3166FB-B551-4E55-AD55-F53F6C91DFC2.jpeg
    9C3166FB-B551-4E55-AD55-F53F6C91DFC2.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 9
Over the years I've accumulated a collection of little black dresses, so useful for the overlapping attendee situation because people can't really remember if it's the same one as the last party or not (and I can't either !!)

I love LBDs, I could wear them 80% of the time. I have to stop buying new ones.

Reactions: cecchetti
I'm not going to many parties this year due to unforeseen circumstances, those that I'm going to will be on my own for work (brunch) or small annual/bi-annual get togethers lunch or cocktails.

I've gone off sequins, glitter and high-shine this year, I think because I'm seeing this as prescriptive party-wear everywhere. Seeing my list I think leather seems to a be a recurring theme. Some hardy perennial co-ord separates, a classic LBD and maybe the a fantastic segment piece will be perfect any/every year.

So far, I've worn:
1. Longer length, double breasted Saint Laurent Le Smoking (black) with pink python shorts (black opaque tights) and Fratelli Rossetti blk suede high-heel boots, cap.
2. Black velvet shorts, white shirt, H tie, vintage Chanel lamb waistcoat, black/gold suede/leather SL Lou ankle med-heel boots, cap.
3. New Chinese designer lamb leather/silk brocade waistcoat (think sleeveless jacket) over vintage SL jacquard, rose print blouse, H Zebra Peg 90 silk scarf (bambou matched my bag) and black leather shorts and DM boots (weather!) Gucci cap.
4. '70s theme bday party I wore blue/green/grey modernist maxi dress and bright blue/green/grey H 90 self (Carré Sur mon Carré) scarf, old Terry de Havilland silver/black leather/suede wedges.

Monday, I have a brunch at work, followed by not-sure-yet. It will depend on the weather, but I'd like to wear my black Balmain leather zipped dress, probably with a Cos polo-neck under to make it more day-friendy, I've had it a year and I've worn it only twice.

Last edited:
I'm not going to many parties this year due to unforeseen circumstances, those that I'm going to will be on my own for work (brunch) or small annual/bi-annual get togethers lunch or cocktails.

I've gone off sequins, glitter and high-shine this year, I think because I'm seeing this as prescriptive party-wear everywhere. Seeing my list I think leather seems to a be a recurring theme. Some hardy perennial co-ord separates, a classic LBD and maybe the a fantastic segment piece will be perfect any/every year.

So far, I've worn:
1. Longer length, double breasted Saint Laurent Le Smoking (black) with pink python shorts (black opaque tights) and Fratelli Rossetti blk suede high-heel boots, cap.
2. Black velvet shorts, white shirt, H tie, vintage Chanel lamb waistcoat, black/gold suede/leather SL Lou ankle med-heel boots, cap.
3. New Chinese designer lamb leather/silk brocade waistcoat (think sleeveless jacket) (as above) over vintage SL jacquard, rose print blouse, H Zebra Peg 90 silk scarf (bambou matched my bag) and black leather shorts and DM boots (weather!) Gucci cap.
4. '70s theme bday party I wore blue/green/grey modernist maxi dress and bright blue/green/grey H 90 self (Carré Sur mon Carré) scarf, old Terry de Havilland silver/black leather/suede wedges.

Monday, I have a brunch at work, followed by not-sure-yet. It will depend on the weather, but I'd like to wear my black Balmain leather zipped dress, probably with a Cos polo-neck under to make it more day-friendy, I've had it a year and I've worn it only twice.
Thinking of you and your husband this Christmas -my Mum has dementia so it’s a quiet one for me…luckily my Dad is healthy so I’ll be going to my parents for a day, but it’ll be quite low key..I won’t be in my sequins that day..just my black Lycra “Tour de France”(as my Dad calls it) look, bearing food..❤️❤️

This is what my outfit ended up looking like(I hadn’t tried it on together in advance)- with a Skims ruched camisole bodysuit under the jacket and black bag and shoes.

Attachments

• IMG_0230.jpeg
    IMG_0230.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 31