History of the CDC?

Luvquality

Artisanal rules!
O.G.
Nov 19, 2011
Does anyone know anything about the CDC's history, i.e., when it was introduced, the story behind its design, whether it is handmade, etc? I love it, but other than that it is by H. and translates as 'collar of the dog', I haven't read anything else about it! Since both the Kelly, the Birkin (and the scarves too, for that matter) have histories in their design, maybe the CDC does as well?

Does anyone know anything about the CDC's history, i.e., when it was introduced, the story behind its design, whether it is handmade, etc? I love it, but other than that it is by H. and translates as 'collar of the dog', I haven't read anything else about it! Since both the Kelly, the Birkin (and the scarves too, for that matter) have histories in their design, maybe the CDC does as well?

yes, it has a history (of course!) but I dont remember it exactly. You might be able to find the info in the original CDC thread in Clubhouse. I do know that it goes back to at least the 1920s (yes, THAT old) and that it was adapted from a dog collar, hence the name.

seton, There is nothing about its history in Clubhouse, other than fabulous photos. But it is amazing that the CDC's origin goes back as far as the 20's! That it has such a long history with Hermes is really interesting. You know the little metal piece that fits into one of the four openings to secure the bracelet? It has a hole in it and looks like something should be put into it. Like a lock or a cadena. Does anyone else wonder ( or know) about that?

Here are a couple photos of very old Hermes dog collars for an actual dog. There are other ones out there if you search. I believe these are where the idea for the CDC bracelets and accessories originated from. I've seen other ones as well.

19140250.png

cdcold.png

These photos are both from 1st Dibs.

Last edited:
My SA told me that it was designed in the 1920s for dogs to wear when they would go hunting. The reason for the spikes was if the dog got attacked by whatever it was they were hunting (I think she said foxes) the spikes would protect the neck. I guess when foxes would attack the dogs they go straight for the neck so the spikes and the metal protect the dogs neck. From then the dog collar was adapted into a belt first (1960s, i think) and then the bracelet, not sure when.

very old most of the story has been told some rumors say a lady actually tied one on with a scarf and purchased it as belt................ that said ...... i love them they are still hand made or managed im not sure about the stitching but i love that they are not part of Hs Licensing deals so its true H and i love it !!!.

if you are interested of seeing it in the past james Bonds Goldfinger at the gas station in switzerland Tilly Soams or Tilly Masterson is wearing one looks sooo chic..... DH is a Bond fan !! and i spot my H LOL !!!

very old most of the story has been told some rumors say a lady actually tied one on with a scarf and purchased it as belt................ that said ...... i love them they are still hand made or managed im not sure about the stitching but i love that they are not part of Hs Licensing deals so its true H and i love it !!!.

if you are interested of seeing it in the past james Bonds Goldfinger at the gas station in switzerland Tilly Soams or Tilly Masterson is wearing one looks sooo chic..... DH is a Bond fan !! and i spot my H LOL !!!

birkel, you are just an amazing fountain of H knowledge! i am in awe. :smile:

your story reminds me of last weekend. my DH and I were watching a movie and all of a sudden he got very excited screaming, "honey, look! a cdc!!!" he even re-played the scene to show me. he was very proud of himself for recognizing one. it was very cute.

Wow, it is so amazing that the cdc dates back to the 20s, hermes is so timeless...i sont understand how hermes does it, but every single item of hermes is classic and everlasting,unlike other brands. Also, you guys are amazing with your knowledge, i learn a lot feom reading this forum.

Wow, I had no idea it went back that far! Thanks for posting the Bond photo - I just showed it to DH who is a fan. Birkel, fascinating info about the studs. Maybe I should wear one around my neck when I go hiking, just in case I get attacked by wolves or bears!