Hints and Tips for a Ban Urgently Required!

Ditzy, saving for your own home is so exciting =) I've become a total household ecomonics freak this year since deciding to save up for two big purchases and save more on my future house account. There are so many great tips out there for how to save money and become aware of your spendings.

-Buy food once a week, do a weekly menu and write a shopping list.
-Browse through your account history to see what you've spent money on and which purchases were unneccessary.
-Set up a little budget, look at how much you'll need to spend on food, rent etc and try to save as much as possible of the money left.
-Check out alternatives for cheaper insurance etc.
-Think carefully on what you want to spend money on, a holiday or a quality coat. Perhaps make 2011 a frugal year and allow yourself to relly kickstart the saving?
-Go to a junior hairdresser
-Stop buying coffee here and there, magazines, get nails done, buy drinks on clubs.

Hmm, surely there are more useful tips but this is all I could think of atm :P

Best of luck =)

heheh, the trick is to not go shopping :P And if you must, have a list and buy what you needed.

I make myself sound so angelic, I do know how to spend money too! I'm just trying to have a really good 2011! And since we're already in May (where did March and April go?:shrugs:) I might succeed! We decided to not take any weekends away shopping this year and stay in Norway for the summer (go home and to the summer house), which means money that would otherwise go towards tickets and hotels can be saved. ;)

Oh Thea, you sound so sensible and wise with the saving plan. :smile:

I have found one trick that may stop me from buying in a compulsive manner: an inventory of all the clothes I have (this time summer clothes). It will be easier (or should be easier) to see what you need to buy if anything.

My shopping was out of control from February to April, but now I am getting more organised and disciplined. I know from experience that total bans just don´t work for me, so I allow myself a little budget that I can spend on clothes.

heheh, the trick is to not go shopping :P And if you must, have a list and buy what you needed.

I make myself sound so angelic, I do know how to spend money too! I'm just trying to have a really good 2011! And since we're already in May (where did March and April go?:shrugs:) I might succeed! We decided to not take any weekends away shopping this year and stay in Norway for the summer (go home and to the summer house), which means money that would otherwise go towards tickets and hotels can be saved. ;)

Oh Thea I wish my DH was like you. We were not going to go away this year and save some money after paying off our credit card. Now he has decided we are going to Egypt on a diving holiday in Oct and it's so expensive. We do have the funds, but for the first time ever for me, I wanted to be frugal and save even more. His argument is you only have one life and if we have the money, we should enjoy it now while we can......:rolleyes:

Oh Thea, you sound so sensible and wise with the saving plan. :smile:

I have found one trick that may stop me from buying in a compulsive manner: an inventory of all the clothes I have (this time summer clothes). It will be easier (or should be easier) to see what you need to buy if anything.

My shopping was out of control from February to April, but now I am getting more organised and disciplined. I know from experience that total bans just don´t work for me, so I allow myself a little budget that I can spend on clothes.

Good idea!
I have sort of done the same thing. Though I've written down all the items I want it my Ideal Wardrobe. If I was to do an inventory of my summer clothes it would be both short and depressing :P

Oh Thea I wish my DH was like you. We were not going to go away this year and save some money after paying off our credit card. Now he has decided we are going to Egypt on a diving holiday in Oct and it's so expensive. We do have the funds, but for the first time ever for me, I wanted to be frugal and save even more. His argument is you only have one life and if we have the money, we should enjoy it now while we can......:rolleyes:

Well, there's always next year ;) And he makes a valid point, though I think your original plan to save up more sounded great too. Diving sounds like so much fun, you must see some amazing plants, reefs, fish etc when you're doing a dive! I only did some snorkeling when my family and I were in Sharm el Sheik a couple of years ago and it's such a magical world =)

Thea, i agree its better to stay in Norway during the summer. I hate traveling when its high season and whats better than Norway in summer (weather permitting, he-he)

Thanks for the support ladies! I just find it ironic that I left tPf to try and avoid temptation, still shopped a bit but no where near the amount I had been, and then when I go on a complete ban I come back to the forums! I think I'm testing myself... :P

Ditzy, saving for your own home is so exciting =) I've become a total household ecomonics freak this year since deciding to save up for two big purchases and save more on my future house account. There are so many great tips out there for how to save money and become aware of your spendings.

-Buy food once a week, do a weekly menu and write a shopping list.
-Browse through your account history to see what you've spent money on and which purchases were unneccessary.
-Set up a little budget, look at how much you'll need to spend on food, rent etc and try to save as much as possible of the money left.
-Check out alternatives for cheaper insurance etc.
-Think carefully on what you want to spend money on, a holiday or a quality coat. Perhaps make 2011 a frugal year and allow yourself to relly kickstart the saving?
-Go to a junior hairdresser
-Stop buying coffee here and there, magazines, get nails done, buy drinks on clubs.

Hmm, surely there are more useful tips but this is all I could think of atm :P

Best of luck =)

Those are some great tips, Thea, thank you! I think you truly are the good angel on all of our shoulders.

As for the above, I've promised myself an "end of winter, welcome spring" pedicure this week but otherwise I'm going to be good. I've already started to dye my hair at home again as opposed to the salon, I hardly go out to the pub anymore and the only thing I will not cut out of my spending is my morning coffee (I would literally collapse without it, haha).

And speaking of that, I'm curious. When you decided to do all this for yourself and your budgeting, is there one thing you couldn't bear to give up? For me, I'll spend my two dollars and sixty cents on a coffee and biscuit every day. That's my exception. Anyone else?

the only thing I will not cut out of my spending is my morning coffee (I would literally collapse without it, haha).

I used to get a Pret each day, because it was next to where I worked and I liked the coffee. 4 years ago I changed jobs, and there is no coffee shop nearby. I started grinding my own beans at home and making a cup with my cafetiere. It actually saved me loads of money, and if I wanted a biscotti I can buy them in the supermarket too.

Good idea!
I have sort of done the same thing. Though I've written down all the items I want it my Ideal Wardrobe. If I was to do an inventory of my summer clothes it would be both short and depressing :P

I hear you. It isn´t so much different in southern Finland, but after long and cold winter there is risk of going a bit crazy with the sumer wardrobe. I love lists, but I haven´t been as organized as you. Have to consider it!

Good idea!

Well, there's always next year ;) And he makes a valid point, though I think your original plan to save up more sounded great too. Diving sounds like so much fun, you must see some amazing plants, reefs, fish etc when you're doing a dive! I only did some snorkeling when my family and I were in Sharm el Sheik a couple of years ago and it's such a magical world =)

Thea it is another world down there. He is right in some ways though so I think we will go as we do need the break. Give diving a go if you get the chance, it's wonderful.;)

Thea, i agree its better to stay in Norway during the summer. I hate traveling when its high season and whats better than Norway in summer (weather permitting, he-he)

I much prefer staying in Norway during the summer, a bit backwards that so many Norwegians feed the country once it gets beautiful! City breaks are so much fun and I find those much more exciting during spring/autumn/winter when the temperatures are bearable =) I'm fine with a holiday in more exotic and warm countries every 3-4 years actually (and a city break preferably twice a year!)

And speaking of that, I'm curious. When you decided to do all this for yourself and your budgeting, is there one thing you couldn't bear to give up? For me, I'll spend my two dollars and sixty cents on a coffee and biscuit every day. That's my exception. Anyone else?

It's important to keep enjoying life and not becoming a prisoner of one's own rules! We're not that cheap :P I wouldn't cut back on the wines we buy. Not that we drink a lot, but wine is a passion of ours! Also, if there's something I really want and know I'll enjoy and get lots of use out of, I'll buy it. I'm not on a strict total ban, just a total ban - if you get me :P Knowing that if I buy that thing, I'll have to wait even longer untill I'll have saved up for my watch, will make me think it through twice. We do nice things together such as go out to see a movie, or to the theatre. But not so much eating/drinking on cafees/restaurants/clubs/pubs - but then again we enjoy making food at home and cracking a nice bottle of wine!

I've made a little chart for each month and divided it into categories (food - monthly expenses - shopping - necessary purchases - unnecessary purchases - saving). In Jan I tried calculating how much I'll be spending on each category this year, but it turns out to be tricky to get the shopping, necessary and unnecessary posts right! (Also I'm still undecided if wine goes under the category food, necessary or unnecessary :P).

I hear you. It isn´t so much different in southern Finland, but after long and cold winter there is risk of going a bit crazy with the sumer wardrobe. I love lists, but I haven´t been as organized as you. Have to consider it!

Summers in northern Norway vary a lot. Oslo and southern Norway usually have stabile and good summers. I read about this book, and thought it looked rather fun, will order it once I finish my exams! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1379271/Lessons-je-ne-sais-quoi-Muse-supermodel-Ines-la-Fressange-reveals-secrets-Parisian-chic.html

Thea it is another world down there. He is right in some ways though so I think we will go as we do need the break. Give diving a go if you get the chance, it's wonderful.;)

I will definitely try it, if I get the chance!

We've decided to spend our Summer holidays in Ireland too and have booked a house by the seaside for two weeks (must do our bit to support the national economy!) If the weather is fine, it will be magical, if not I see a miserable family :P. I'd love a city break to London though!