High-Quality Fakes!

lagensi

Dec 19, 2007
From what I've heard, some counterfeiters are using the exact same exotic materials Chanel uses for their for their more expensive range - snake skin, crocodile skin and the like. And by increasing their quality of manufacture; they would be 99.99% identical to their real counterparts - and fakes can only be found by Chanel's line own experts.
Of course, such high quality fakes are often quite expensive in their own right. (50% of their real counterparts) and demand for such hasn't taken off. (To our relief..)

I've attached a few photos of some of the more convincing fakes being manufactured - besides the blatant fake Chanel tags, and dodgy care booklets; some these bags seem could easily be passed off as the real thing if not closely inspected.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 195
I agree with the consensus that the fakes are still fakes. What scares me is that to the untrained eye, they seem like the real thing and folks are being scammed for even more $. It breaks my heart to think of all those women who think they are getting authentic Chanel, and are not. I mean, it is one thing to pay $50 for a bag...you know you are not getting "REAL" Chanel (well, unless you score at Goodwill!!). But if you spend $600-$800 for a bag, maybe you THINK it is real, and just a good deal. It is appalling to think that the counterfeiters are getting even more sneaky!!!!! Why can't the authorities do something about it?

what you "heard" is probably wrong. . . they're NOT using the "exact same materials" Cchanel is using unless they're charging $1k/bag. Exotics are VERY expensive, no counterfeiter is stupid enough to make and try to sell a $1k + fake. . . it doesn't even make sense.
Don't post photos of fakes here again though please:tdown:

I think people who have chanel bags may think they are real for a split second or from a distance but you can tell they are not the same since the colours and linings are wrong and they do not look as good quality.

The first one I fooled me for a moment, then I saw the lining. Ew.

I am probably a lot older than most of you. In the 1970's I lived in NYC and began my interest in Chanel. At that time, their bags cost approximately $500-$800, a bit too much on my meager secretary's salary. Through the grapevine of my friends, I found out that a woman was selling "very high-end copies from a secret source" (!) out of her apartment. Being intrigued, I went to Chanel and number of times and studied what real bags looked, felt and even smelled like. Armed with my knowledge, I made an appointment to see the copies. I have to say they were incredible to my eye. The leathers were rich and gorgeous, the colors true, the patterns matched up, etc. They were also expensive for that time, $200-$500 so they weren't much cheapier than the real thing. But my moment of truth came...I could not buy a copy even if I myself couldn't tell the difference. I was tempted and didn't actually buy my first Chanel for a few years after that (I saved and saved and actually shook and hyperventilated when I handed over my money, ha ha). Over the last couple of years, I've actually thought about those bags again because of the resurgence in popularity of "vintage" items. I've seen a lot of beautiful looking "vintage" Chanels on ebay and wonder if a few of those from my hours in that apartment, aren't showing up and getting a lot of money now. (I sure hope not).

Another interesting thing...I was on a flight recently and watched an interview with Karl Lagerfeld and he was asked his opinion on all the fakes out there. His answer surprised me. He feels that the fakes are flattering and it doesn't bother him at all. But what does make him annoyed, are OTHER DESIGNERS that rip him off and can't think for themselves. Funny right? We are more ticked off than Karl himself!

I am probably a lot older than most of you. In the 1970's I lived in NYC and began my interest in Chanel. At that time, their bags cost approximately $500-$800, a bit too much on my meager secretary's salary. Through the grapevine of my friends, I found out that a woman was selling "very high-end copies from a secret source" (!) out of her apartment. Being intrigued, I went to Chanel and number of times and studied what real bags looked, felt and even smelled like. Armed with my knowledge, I made an appointment to see the copies. I have to say they were incredible to my eye. The leathers were rich and gorgeous, the colors true, the patterns matched up, etc. They were also expensive for that time, $200-$500 so they weren't much cheapier than the real thing. But my moment of truth came...I could not buy a copy even if I myself couldn't tell the difference. I was tempted and didn't actually buy my first Chanel for a few years after that (I saved and saved and actually shook and hyperventilated when I handed over my money, ha ha). Over the last couple of years, I've actually thought about those bags again because of the resurgence in popularity of "vintage" items. I've seen a lot of beautiful looking "vintage" Chanels on ebay and wonder if a few of those from my hours in that apartment, aren't showing up and getting a lot of money now. (I sure hope not).
Oh, that's so interesting! I started buying Chanel (in the Boutique!) in the '80s. I never heard of fakes/replicas being offered at small parties, or inside someone's house... so I assumed there weren't any being made, at that time. I did begin to hear of "secret source" bags at the beginning of the '90s though. Of course, NYC would be ahead of the game!

It never occurred to me that some of those vintage eBay bags could be fakes. Thank you for sharing that story with us! :yes: