Hermes Vintage BBK28?

Margot S

Dec 28, 2017
I too need a sense check from this wonderful group. Seriously thinking about SO 2011 Kelly 28 retourne. Black box exterior, rouge vif interior, palladium hardware. Very good to excellent condition. Has been spa’d at hermes. Asking price $21K. Thoughts please. Have to make a decision very quickly.

I too need a sense check from this wonderful group. Seriously thinking about SO 2011 Kelly 28 retourne. Black box exterior, rouge vif interior, palladium hardware. Very good to excellent condition. Has been spa’d at hermes. Asking price $21K. Thoughts please. Have to make a decision very quickly.
$21K USD?? You can get a brand new one for less.

Great combo but you can find similar for much less at auction or established reseller.

Reactions: Veritybelle

$21K USD?? You can get a brand new one for less.

Great combo but you can find similar for much less at auction or established reseller.
To be fair, SOs in Box calf are not that easy to find and not currently possible, nor is Box calf retourné available in boutique right now. Even Box calf palladium is hard to find at resale.
It's still an insane price though. If these are the only specs you will accept (Noir box, rouge interior, retourné, palladium) I'd at least look in the rest of the resale/auction world first.
ETA: Is it definitely SO with HSS?

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. It is definitely a special order being sold by very reputable auction house. I saw the bag in person. I have been a customer of Hermes for more than a decade and have not been (and do not expect to be) offered a special order. Hence my hunt in the resale market. I have seen many other bags that do not compare in specs or quality. But it is an insane price….

Reactions: Cmpb33 and step2005
I think for that price you would expect excellent condition (not just VG to excellent) at a minimum. It does sound like a rare combo, and quality K28 retourné in black box are pretty hard to come by in the secondary market (I see far more BBK selliers in the vintage market at the moment), but unless you want exactly this combination of specs, I think something else will appear, if you are patient, for a much better price. To give you a reference point, I picked up a gorgeous vintage K28 retourné in black box GHW in December last year in excellent condition for about USD10k.

I think for that price you would expect excellent condition (not just VG to excellent) at a minimum. It does sound like a rare combo, and quality K28 retourné in black box are pretty hard to come by in the secondary market (I see far more BBK selliers in the vintage market at the moment), but unless you want exactly this combination of specs, I think something else will appear, if you are patient, for a much better price. To give you a reference point, I picked up a gorgeous vintage K28 retourné in black box GHW in December last year in excellent condition for about USD10k.
Following all your wise advice and my own gut reaction, I decided to pass on this bag. Patience is not my strong suit, but I will be patient and keep on looking.

Following all your wise advice and my own gut reaction, I decided to pass on this bag. Patience is not my strong suit, but I will be patient and keep on looking.
It can be hard to pass on something so gorgeous (I know that feeling well! :lol:) but I’m sure your patience and self-discipline will be rewarded in the end. Good luck with the search! :flowers:

ETA I recall the retourné style being very unpopular in the late 90s to early 2000s, to the point that I once read what must have been the nastiest comment ever written in a Tatler column (even allowing for it to have been wholly tongue-in-cheek), that retourné was for “losers”. 😟 Proud “loser” here! :biggrin:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: tinkerbell68
ETA I recall the retourné style being very unpopular in the late 90s to early 2000s, to the point that I once read what must have been the nastiest comment ever written in a Tatler column (even allowing for it to have been wholly tongue-in-cheek), that retourné was for “losers”. 😟 Proud “loser” here! :biggrin:
Proud loser here too 😉…my K32 in box is retourne and tbh I really don’t like the sellier style in either Kelly or Birkins. It reminds me of my grandmothers’ bags and seems far too mature for me!

It can be hard to pass on something so gorgeous (I know that feeling well! :lol:) but I’m sure your patience and self-discipline will be rewarded in the end. Good luck with the search! :flowers:

I think this is so interesting - those years were so much about showing power in women through fashion - and a sellier Kelly is a bag that just is there - very present with those clear cut, clean geometric lines, it does not scream but just has a very strong presence. Especially in box. A Retourne just softens this appeal.

Some of my favourite ever (sellier 😂) bags are from the end of the 90s and I would love to add a K retourne for this period as well because of the leathers and craftmenship. Let’s see if I get lucky some day….

Proud loser here too 😉…my K32 in box is retourne and tbh I really don’t like the sellier style in either Kelly or Birkins. It reminds me of my grandmothers’ bags and seems far too mature for me!
I like it in smaller Ks (28 and 25) but I think it can be a bit much on a 32 and above (except for Mou). I thought I didn't like it in a B, but I'm slowly coming around, even if it's really only for a B25 aizome! :lol: :loveeyes:

I’m glad you decided to pass. It’s an insane price. Since box leather can be spa-ed to great effect, and reseller prices are coming down, I think you will be able to find other BBK28 retournes for a far better price. During covid SIP, I picked up a beautiful BBK28 retourne, phw brushed, for 7K USD. I doubt prices will dip that low again, but there are many better deals.

But, list price on a sellier BBK28 is currently over 16K USD as a point of reference if you decide that you must have that exact bag in the future

Where did you get such a good price?? I’ve not seen prices that low for good condition.