Hermes Scarf Shawl Twilly Tag variations

Oct 16, 2018
Hello All,
I'm sure most of the long term H collectors are aware that Hermes is an inconsistent company. There are times when a long discontinued leather or color would randomly pop up at some H boutique in the world. There are times when a craftsmen forgets to stamp a bag. There have even been times a palladium bag came with gold hardware feet. They are just full of surprises.

Hermes has been very popular the recently few years and there are now a dramatically increased amount of new collectors. It recently occurred to me that some of the new H collectors are not very familiar with the H surprises. They have no idea that there are many different versions of retail tags and packagings for Hermes silk collections. As with all fashion retailers, Hermes makes changes to their retail packagings from time to time. Their packaging materials also could vary from region to region, duty free stores and franchise stores. I realize the other H surprises have already been covered in the other part of TPF. I can't seem to find a thread that has this information. I thought this information would be helpful for the newer collectors of H silks, in case they want to find an older season or HTF silk item online.

2018 Hermes made a lot changes to their fabric tags. Here are some of the variations. I'm sure there are other versions that are not in this photo.
2018tags.jpg

These are some of the tags from 2017 and before.
tags2017.jpg

These are the tags from China Hermes boutiques. It has a extra hang tag that has the content information in Chinese. Please note I'm just letting you know these tags exist. H China boutique may or may not provide you with these paper tags. Japan store could also provide a extra hangtag that has the information in Japanese. I will update that photo later.
chinatag.jpg

The variation tags of the Dip Dye collection. These are only the ones I have seen. This photo may NOT contain all Dip Dye tags.
dipdyetags.jpg

2017 and 2018 GM shawl tags. There are definitely more variation of GM shawl tags. Especially in 2018 there are more new tags, refer to the first photo above.
shawltags.jpg

2017 and 2018 Twilly tags. There are definitely more variation of Twilly tags. Especially in 2018 there are more new tags, refer to the first photo above.
twillytags.jpg

Most paper tags we have seen over the years are the yellow ones. Many people do not know there are other variations. This photo does NOT contain all variations for paper tags.
papertags.jpg

There are paper tags like the one below that does not contain the scarf name. This one is for a dip dye scarf.
RtnDownloadFile.png

These are the tags we have bought from Hermes boutique all over the world. I'm sure there are other ones exist that I have not seen. Please feel free to add on this thread.

The point is if an H bag can have different colors of hardware mistakenly installed onto the same bag, is it surprising that there are inconsistent versions of retail packaging like these?

I would be happy to contribute other H information on this forum if there's any suggestions.

This is a FABULOUS idea for a reference thread.

I will see what I have, my collection goes back to 1998 but I only really started taking good photos around 2001.

Don’t forget that years ago certain stores (like Bonwit Teller, I believe) carried Hermès so there may be additional store tags, too.

Reactions: Julide
Hi, about the scarves paper tags, on the colorway line, does anyone know what the first 2 letters stand for? TD, YU, RE, BR, RM, HG, PD, EC, QC, etc. I'm attaching some examples. Are they color abbreviations? On some tags the full color names are listed, on others those 2 letters appear (and btw, on some tags the scarf name is truncated, it most probably depends on the available space). I can never really figure out what color they would refer to, so I'm really curious about their real meaning. Thanks!

1682666402.jpeg1682278721.jpegs-l500 copy.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi, about the scarves paper tags, on the colorway line, does anyone know what the first 2 letters stand for? TD, YU, RE, BR, RM, HG, PD, EC, QC, etc. I'm attaching some examples. Are they color abbreviations? On some tags the full color names are listed, on others those 2 letters appear (and btw, on some tags the scarf name is truncated, it most probably depends on the available space). I can never really figure out what color they would refer to, so I'm really curious about their real meaning. Thanks!

View attachment 5771821View attachment 5771820View attachment 5771822

They're definitely not color abbreviations. As you can see below, the colors listed on h.com for Cliquetis and Le Carnaval des Animaux are just the ones that are fully spelled out on the above labels...

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 14.30.04.pngScreenshot 2023-04-28 at 14.30.28.png