Scarves Hermès scarf colors

Here's Harnais de Cour in a similar CW:
harnais-de-cour-scarf-90--001624S%2020-flat-1-300-0-2048-2048-q40_zps2trfjyfp.jpg

Reactions: momasaurus
Les Voitures a Transformation
les-voitures-a-transformation-scarf-90--003156S%2015-flat-1-300-0-2048-2048-q40_zpseysq95gc.jpg
An interesting scarf ... very effective of color. The border is not dark pink - it is medium pink with raspberry dots - the effect is dark pink at the resolution above. I think the carriage top pink is actually the same medium pink (as on the border) ! And some of the (same medium pink) carriage tops near the central yellowish wicker appear to be yet another shade

VAT is a masterful use of just a few colors - 10 to 15 are printed ? - but I see many shades of colors due to juxtaposition - some of the colors are optical illusions of sorts
They used to use 3-4 shades of gold - to get that real 3D effect, now they juxtapose complementary colors (orange, lime, yellow) to get more of a multicolor effect (but on a flatter looking design)

Last edited:
Reactions: Holsby
Here is a closeup of my classic VAT cw with 2-3 shades each of blue, green , gold - very realistic 3D look to the wheels - in the end probably close to the same number of screens as the new ones. The gold braid and wheels are very 3D. Sadly, I dont have a new one for comparison of close-up photos. The braid and wheels are entirely different looking - flatter but perkier.
1985 SPIS 90cm  (2).JPG

Hi MT! Now I don't feel so lonely over here! It's kind of been my little playpen the last couple of weeks. I wish others would contribute their favorite CWs of scarves.

I love looking at color, and I am afraid I misled you... the color "breakdown" is just something I did from the picture, in photoshop. I am designing more of my own scarves and have just been exploring what colors appeal to me and why. Photoshop just breaks down the color of an image to a chart, and I dictate how many colors.

I DID, laboriously, sample colors on the Hermès website, for the Fall Preview, just for the heck of it (that is back a little ways).

I am happy you are here; I can learn a lot from you. I had not really noticed the border on VaT until you pointed it out. On one scarf I designed, I used that overlay of color to excruciating effect to get the number of screens down. I did my own indexing, and gave (Talbots) only 18 screens for a Peacock scarf (which they have yet to print). It was a fun puzzle though!

Hi MT! Now I don't feel so lonely over here! It's kind of been my little playpen the last couple of weeks. I wish others would contribute their favorite CWs of scarves.

I love looking at color, and I am afraid I misled you... the color "breakdown" is just something I did from the picture, in photoshop. I am designing more of my own scarves and have just been exploring what colors appeal to me and why. Photoshop just breaks down the color of an image to a chart, and I dictate how many colors.

I DID, laboriously, sample colors on the Hermès website, for the Fall Preview, just for the heck of it (that is back a little ways).

I am happy you are here; I can learn a lot from you. I had not really noticed the border on VaT until you pointed it out. On one scarf I designed, I used that overlay of color to excruciating effect to get the number of screens down. I did my own indexing, and gave (Talbots) only 18 screens for a Peacock scarf (which they have yet to print). It was a fun puzzle though!
I figured you worked from the photo - the 1680 x 1680 one from Hermes. But, you decided on 28 (or so colors). so, the 28 was an a priori decision not a result of the analysis.
I wish I had a 3000 x 3000 pixel photo of the revised VAT, so I could count colors manually.
I have no written record of the number of screens for VAT, and of course, the number is different for each issue. But, when my hands are clean I will count the screens on my 1987 issue.
Must play today with Photoshop ! I may have to PM you later - fun!
As to the dotty border on the latest VAT, I had not noticed the optical effect (it can look darker solid pink or look like light pink with dots) until yesterday. And the dots are NOT circles - they are squares on the diagonal (like square diamonds). I am sure that was deliberate - to get an effect like Magic Kelly
My expertise is not designing scarves but rather I have designed shipping labels (ho hum yawn) in an exact specified pantone color of red - where my customer will get out a colorimeter to check it is the right red.

Reactions: mcl1818 and Jahna
It is badly overcast today and it is impossible to do a top notch job of discerning colors, but I tried ...

Both of my VATs have about 13 colors - 1987 special issue cw (not the similar cobalt green cw from the regular issues) in 90cm & VS70 2008.
2008 VS70 in teal and pink - 5 blues, 2 greenish beige, 1 ecru, 3 pinks, 1 black = 12 colors
1987 90 cm in cobalt green & yellow - 1 black, 5 blues, 2 greens, 5 yellow / golds = 13 colors
I may have miscounted by a bit but am confident the number is below 15 nowhere near 28
The 1987 scarf is - to my eyes - obviously redone screens - NOT the 1960s screens, the rope on the 1987 border is too regular (computer generated ?) to be from 1960s
The finesse screen (black) does different things on each - it outlines the cushions on the 1987 one while the 2008 one has a fuzzy cushion (hmmm ... due to vintage silk fabric ? due to digital printing ? different palette ?)
In general, the 90cm design is crisp and the (smaller) VS70 is fuzzy looking

Reactions: Jahna
I figured you worked from the photo - the 1680 x 1680 one from Hermes. But, you decided on 28 (or so colors). so, the 28 was an a priori decision not a result of the analysis.
I wish I had a 3000 x 3000 pixel photo of the revised VAT, so I could count colors manually.
I have no written record of the number of screens for VAT, and of course, the number is different for each issue. But, when my hands are clean I will count the screens on my 1987 issue.
Must play today with Photoshop ! I may have to PM you later - fun!
As to the dotty border on the latest VAT, I had not noticed the optical effect (it can look darker solid pink or look like light pink with dots) until yesterday. And the dots are NOT circles - they are squares on the diagonal (like square diamonds). I am sure that was deliberate - to get an effect like Magic Kelly
My expertise is not designing scarves but rather I have designed shipping labels (ho hum yawn) in an exact specified pantone color of red - where my customer will get out a colorimeter to check it is the right red.

It is terrific to have someone with whom to talk "shop"!

I have only come lately to designing scarves (as a result of a 30+ career in NYC illustrating for magazines and newspapers); I tried "retirement"- BORING! So I have gotten back on the computer exploring my love of Hermès. Lucky for me I have gotten some commissions for scarf design, and my obsession with Hermès has come in ... handy? (not the right word! ... too, uh, mild.)

I am now selling most of my collection of 150+ scarves to finance my scarf designs.

Re: Photoshop, ask any time! If I can't answer the question (the program is so deep now), it will push me to learn more. BTW, I have a lot of hi-res images I have taken over time, should you need them. Geoff quite often "steals" them, which is perfectly fine, especially since I learned most everything from him (online...never met the guy).

RE: your label design. I thought Pantone was going to die years ago with the advent of computers, but it seems it has only gotten stronger. Which Pantone red is it out of curiosity? I have been on the track of the perfect white paint for a room, and read about "Elliyah" in the New Yorker. See this website: https://www.incolour.life

I'm a little insane about color, lol!