Hermes - incorrect date code on sangle? Is this possible?

Hi. I am in the process of trying to purchase a vintage Hermes Kelly. I requested the seller get an authentication by Bababebi. Well, the Kelly came back authentic, but it was noted that the date code on the sangle was wrong. For example, the date code on the sangle was stamped Circle E—1975, and BBB said the details of the bag were such that it was actually made in 2001 and, therefore, the sangle should have been stamped Square E—2001. She commented, "Craftsman error in stamp; should be Square E based on Kelly manufacture details." I am very confused. I am more concerned that if I buy this and want to sell it down the road, I will have issues. Has anyone heard of an incorrect date stamp like this before (this is a difference of 26 years?) Has anyone had issues with BBB, and perhaps this authentication service is incorrect? Thank you for any thoughts.

Last edited:
Hi. I am in the process of trying to purchase a vintage Hermes Kelly. I requested the seller get an authentication by Bababebi. Well, the Kelly came back authentic, but it was noted that the date code on the sangle was wrong. For example, the date code on the sangle was Circle E—1975, and BBB said the details of the bag were Square E—2001. She commented, "Craftsman error in stamp; should be Square E based on Kelly manufacture details." I am very confused. I am more concerned that if I buy this and want to sell it down the road, I will have issues. Has anyone heard of an incorrect date stamp like this before (this is a difference of 26 years?) Has anyone had issues with BBB and perhaps this authentication service is incorrect? Thank you for any thoughts.

It seems unlikely that an artisan working in 1975 would use a stamp from 26 years in the future.
Which 'she' commented on the stamp discrepancy?
Has it crossed your mind that the seller sent you the wrong authentication?
i.e. the problem is with your seller not BBB

authentication issues are not normally discussed on here, but this is a bit different

It seems unlikely that an artisan working in 1975 would use a stamp from 26 years in the future.

authentication issues are not normally discussed on here, but this is a bit different
Hi thank you. I think it is the opposite way. The bag was stamped Circle E (1975) and it should have been stamped as a 2001. Meaning that it was made in 2001 and by mistake it was stamped Circle E - indicating it was made earlier. Does that make sense? Thank you! It is DEFINITELY the correct BBB cert.

Last edited:

And thankyou for pointing out authentication issues not being discussed. I guess if we can't discuss authentication-----is it likely that a craftsman in 1997 by ACCIDENT stamped it circle E instead of what they should have done and stamped Square E? I have never heard of this. Thank you

I would not normally comment. I did this bag yesterday. The bag of OP is 1997 based on details of construction. My certificate says bag has circle A stamp but due to error by craftsman in should be square A.

I have seen it before. If you know the evolution of details in a Kelly it’s blindingly obvious that it was made in 1997.

Why poster is saying circle E I have no idea they are confused.

I would not normally comment. I did this bag yesterday. The bag of OP is 1997 based on details of construction. My certificate says bag has circle A stamp but due to error by craftsman in should be square A.

I have seen it before. If you know the evolution of details in a Kelly it’s blindingly obvious that it was made in 1997.

Why poster is saying circle E I have no idea they are confused.
Yes thank you. It is a bag I’m looking at. I changed details slightly for posting because I was uncomfortable posting about this, but yes, this is that exact bag.

I’m so grateful you caught this but it concerns me if this kind of mistake (by craftsman) really happens or why a bag (through pictures) really is 1997 and a sangle obviously wrong.

It begs the question if you were sent pictures of another bag EXCEPT the sangle picture. Also, If a craftsman is stamping every bag in 1997 with a square how in the world do they make a mistake and stamp ONE bag with a circle.

To me, too many questions. I want a clean bbb certificate as you are the BEST!!!

I don't know how the artisans are provided with date stamps;
are they issued with a complete set: all the letters in all the surrounds;
the appropriate stamp for a given year? - why would more be needed?
certainly why issue a set for twenty years in the future?

Regardless of whether it is genuine or not, I would not want to buy an item that needs so much explanation.

I don't know how the artisans are provided with date stamps;
are they issued with a complete set: all the letters in all the surrounds;
the appropriate stamp for a given year? - why would more be needed?
certainly why issue a set for twenty years in the future?

Regardless of whether it is genuine or not, I would not want to buy an item that needs so much explanation.
Thank you for your response. I have passed on the bag. But I think you are mistaken with understanding the facts. It is a 1997 bag (BBB) and made in 1997. The issue is that the sangle says 1971. It isn't a "future" issue. It is that it was made in 1997 and supposedly the sangle was stamped incorrectly----to a year EARLIER (1971). It has nothing to do with a future issue. In any event, I so appreciate you responding and I have moved on past this bag. Thank you

Reactions: A bottle of Red
Thank you for your response. I have passed on the bag. But I think you are mistaken with understanding the facts. It is a 1997 bag (BBB) and made in 1997. The issue is that the sangle says 1971. It isn't a "future" issue. It is that it was made in 1997 and supposedly the sangle was stamped incorrectly----to a year EARLIER (1971). It has nothing to do with a future issue. In any event, I so appreciate you responding and I have moved on past this bag. Thank you
I think you made a wise decision; personally I'd always be second guessing the wrong date stamp and especially if you ever want to sell it in the future , it would give people pause & be a harder sell.

I think you made a wise decision; personally I'd always be second guessing the wrong date stamp and especially if you ever want to sell it in the future , it would give people pause & be a harder sell.
So kind of your response. It is definitely a learning experience. I had put a deposit down and now I have to try and get it back. It is just not a good situation all around. And I trust Bababebi with any authentication. Thank you again.

Reactions: A bottle of Red
Thank you. That is absolutely correct: I had completely misunderstood the facts about the dates.
No wonder it seemed implausible to me.