Hermes guilt in the midst of congress's bailout plan

kittykelly

Jan 31, 2008
as i wore my adorable H scarf and belt and poitron birkin around to work today while searching ebay for my next purchase - be it a 28 or 32 cm kelly - i couldnt help feeling a bit guilty as the CNN broadcasts keep streaming through to my desk asking congress to approve &700 billion in taxpayers money. i feel like an Hermes addict - and
I JUST CANT STOP!!!!!

KK: I understand how you feel... I was thinking about the same thing this morning when I heard about WAMU... When times are bad, IMHO it's best to be sensitive to people's feeling surrounding us... Not everyone is so lucky (And yes, I do consider all the member of the tPF'ers are relatively lucky compared to a lot of people out there)...

As one of the ladies at the sale pointed out, her Hermes collection is now probably worth more than her stock portfolio! That being said, it probably is a good time to be prudent.

Not so much guilt, but empathy for those that are really suffering. At times like this, I am thankful for all that I have and family and health being top two on the list...

KK: I understand how you feel... I was thinking about the same thing this morning when I heard about WAMU... When times are bad, IMHO it's best to be sensitive to people's feeling surrounding us... Not everyone is so lucky (And yes, I do consider all the member of the tPF'ers are relatively lucky compared to a lot of people out there)...

Well said, xiaoxiao. Sensitivity to someone else's circumstances or plight is, well - classy. And the opposite, to be insensitive is, you got it, classless. You are certainly the former!

AuthenticLux, that is the most adorable little boy you have!!! Those eyes!!! He will get by with murder using them!

Yes, family and health are always top on the list of "gratefuls", aren't they. All the Hermes bags in the world can never take their place.

All this upheaval is certainly making me rethink my plan for an Hermes extravagance (MY level, not what most would consider "extravagant"!) when I go to NYC. I found some sensational Mazza shell earrings today and I may get them instead - LOTS cheaper and will hold their value and not wear-out the way a wallet will eventually.

Hermes will probably have a bounce in sales of their lesser known designs as their regular uber wealthy clientele, that refuses to compromise on craftsmanship, gives a nod to the hard times.

Personally, I've put away my "obvious" Hermes items. My under the radar Hermes pieces are now in daily rotation, and I feel more comfortable being "incognito".

I have certainly been giving more thoughts to my purchases and have opted for things that are more "under the radar"...including asking my SA to give me a plain white shopping bag instead of the orange bag. I also cancelled a chinchilla coat purchase last week since I would not feel right wearing such a coat knowing these are difficult times for so many people.

as i wore my adorable H scarf and belt and poitron birkin around to work today while searching ebay for my next purchase - be it a 28 or 32 cm kelly - i couldnt help feeling a bit guilty as the CNN broadcasts keep streaming through to my desk asking congress to approve &700 billion in taxpayers money. i feel like an Hermes addict - and
I JUST CANT STOP!!!!!

hello kittykelly!! Don't be dear! This is the time when to spend to help boost the economy;)

Very nicely put, XiaoXiao. I think it's important to enjoy your collection (in my case, only a little one!) too though... it's a useful tool for cheering-up in the midst of all the gloomy economic news and Hermes tends to be quite a discreet brand anyway.

It is really unfortunate about all the loss in the economy. But if my bills are paid and I have some extra cash, no guilt in treating myself with a little H. After all, I've done my part to help out with the $700 billion bailout...I'm a tax payer, just like everyone else!