Hermes for the rich only?

danilux

Aug 27, 2015
So..I recently met someone who said something I personally found extremely offensive and judgmental. We got to talking about handbags and our fav brands, and knowing I’m a career women, she causally mentions how she believes that luxury brands should only be for rich women who don’t have to work. I was FLOORED. I mean it’s 2019!? Good for women who get to stay home and not work and still purchase luxury items, but what about us hard working women who have nice taste and splurge on ourselves?! Luxury brands and beautiful bags should be for anyone who wants them. I work hard for my bags and I’m just as worthy as someone who doesn’t. Rant over. Just needed to share

So..I recently met someone who said something I personally found extremely offensive and judgmental. We got to talking about handbags and our fav brands, and knowing I’m a career women, she causally mentions how she believes that luxury brands should only be for rich women who don’t have to work. I was FLOORED. I mean it’s 2019!? Good for women who get to stay home and not work and still purchase luxury items, but what about us hard working women who have nice taste and splurge on ourselves?! Luxury brands and beautiful bags should be for anyone who wants them. I work hard for my bags and I’m just as worthy as someone who doesn’t. Rant over. Just needed to share

I don't get why OP would get so offended.
People can hold whatever view and they can voice their opinion.
You can say something offensive back to her face too, if you prefer.
If you don't want to say anything, just smile politely and move on to the next person, maybe your luck would be better this time.
We all know her words can't change your spending habits, and you cannot change her view.
ps: I don't get the title of your post-- "Hermes for the rich only?"
In my opinion, hermes is not for people without disposable income, regardless he/she's working or stay home. Rich is a relative term, but yes, if you can spend 15k+ on a calf skin bag, you must doing pretty good.

I agree with the above posts. When you let others’ ignorant remarks affect you, you are giving them power over your emotions. Write it off to ignorance, jealousy, or some other equally ridiculous attitude. Don’t waste your energy or time judging her character flaws. “Living well is the best revenge”....and I don’t mean financially. Move on and enjoy your life.....

Full disclosure: I’m old. I don’t worry about anything I can’t control or change....which has removed most of the stress from my life. When I was younger, I was more easily offended....

Last edited:
I would not worry about it. But give a person has to have a certain amount of disposable income to afford luxury brands, they likely are well off or have saved a long time to make the purchase.

Reactions: saskiamoet
I’m sorry that your friend offended you, and like others have said, just ignore and be confident in your own decisions. If she’s a good friend, then most likely the intent wasn’t to offend you.

I am curious about something after reading your comments, though. Is a woman only hardworking if she earns a paycheck?

I find that question quite inflammatory.

As a mother of four children who are now fully grown I would say that how a woman contributes to her family and society in general is subjective.

I'd tread lightly with questions like this. It makes people defensive about their own insecurities, decisions and lifestyle choices.

N/B: My value/contribution did not come from a paycheck but from the example that I set for our children by pursuing my professional and personal goals and growing as an individual, always. A paycheck was just a byproduct of my success.

I’m sorry that your friend offended you, and like others have said, just ignore and be confident in your own decisions. If she’s a good friend, then most likely the intent wasn’t to offend you.

I am curious about something after reading your comments, though. Is a woman only hardworking if she earns a paycheck?
I believe a person regardless of age or gender is hardworking when they work hard to maintain both professional and personal responsibilities (and those two areas overlap in many ways). Specific to a woman, paycheck and my experience - I was raised by a single parent when my father passed at a relatively young age. I watched my mother not only work hard financially but also take care of things that no monetary value can be placed. Oh, she was a hardworking person who was worthy of so much more! I love the strength she instilled in me. Thanks for letting me share my sentimental side.

So..I recently met someone who said something I personally found extremely offensive and judgmental.
Happens every day. Everywhere.
The world does not bow to personal whims & opinions.
You must deal, sorry.
I deal by ignoring & smiling slightly--not enough to encourage more words, but with lingering "whatever you think, who cares?" vibe.

But does she work? Since she's in to bags and brands and all? Wouldn't she automatically disqualify herself from her own presumptuous behavior?

I find that question quite inflammatory.

As a mother of four children who are now fully grown I would say that how a woman contributes to her family and society in general is subjective.

I'd tread lightly with questions like this. It makes people defensive about their own insecurities, decisions and lifestyle choices.

N/B: My value/contribution did not come from a paycheck but from the example that I set for our children by pursuing my professional and personal goals and growing as an individual, always. A paycheck was just a byproduct of my success.
I think she meant it ironically , quite the opposite of how you interpreted it.