Hermes closed boutiques in Rennes and Toulouse in France

castiel

O.G.
Nov 9, 2009
Strangely enough, hermes closed two boutiques in France permanently, looks like hermes is decreasing boutiques in France all these years no more new store, that's really weird, anyone knows the reason behind ?

Reactions: Flowerlily
Were these H owned boutiques, or franchises? I'm not super familiar with all French boutiques, but I believe there are still a number of franchise stores (Tours for now I believe). H has slowly been taking over franchise stores globally to better control sales channels, but it may be in this case that the franchises either ran out or the franchisees decided to close stores, and H didn't see a business case in maintaining a presence in these towns.

Were these H owned boutiques, or franchises? I'm not super familiar with all French boutiques, but I believe there are still a number of franchise stores (Tours for now I believe). H has slowly been taking over franchise stores globally to better control sales channels, but it may be in this case that the franchises either ran out or the franchisees decided to close stores, and H didn't see a business case in maintaining a presence in these towns.

Hermes Toulouse is franchised, but Rennes is owned by the company directly.

Rennes is my home town and I never failed to visit the local boutique whenever I am there (usually for Christmas). It was definitely owned directly by H and not a franchise. I was really sad when I receive their letter announcing their permanent closure. The SAs were absolutely charming and every visit was a real pleasure. The boutique was tiny, with limited stock but I always got what I was looking for. High-end brands have never really lasted long in Rennes which could be the result of the relative proximity of Paris (1h30mn by high speed train) and Nantes. I read that H head-office explained that they were “forced to close because the lease had not been renewed”. They would not comment on any plan to reopen in the future.

I also learnt they are closing the boutique in Bern, switzerland as of march next year...Not my local store.
So sad.. I dont think it is a franchise but not sure. It is a small boutique..