Hermes Cafe Bon Temps~Good Times Cafe

That is so sweet! Dogs are great ambassadors and ice-breakers. I had my youngest with me the other day when I swerved in for an impromptu stop to get my car emissions tested. He went into the gas station with me and before long all of these big, burly guys and rough-looking dudes were petting him and talking to him with that high-pitched talk-to-a-puppy voice. :biggrin:
I can just imagine those macho men getting soft and everything with a pup!

There is a TV program here about bailiffs going to debters' houses to collect high court debts and those guys are ex police bouncers etc. And wouldn't take no for an answer. It's my SO's guilty pleasure tv show. I remember this one episode where they went to a house who lived there had a retriever. While one of then was negotiating with the debter, the other was completely ignoring his duty of checking the house for valuable goods and was just playing with the dog!

I can just imagine those macho men getting soft and everything with a pup!

There is a TV program here about bailiffs going to debters' houses to collect high court debts and those guys are ex police bouncers etc. And wouldn't take no for an answer. It's my SO's guilty pleasure tv show. I remember this one episode where they went to a house who lived there had a retriever. While one of then was negotiating with the debter, the other was completely ignoring his duty of checking the house for valuable goods and was just playing with the dog!

:lol: Love this, so funny and cute!

Here's a website that walks one through clarifying butter, with a video. I think it's pretty common practice with Chefs because it has a richer, nuttier flavor and higher smoke point that regular butter.

https://toriavey.com/how-to/how-to-clarify-butter/

I clarify butter when I make blinis but this recipe does it more perfect with the cheese cloth. Thank you for the link [emoji106]

Reactions: prepster
Interesting! I have never seen coconut oil on sale here in that format before. It's always sold as a hair product in the liquid format. There is a new organic green grocer opened up in my now neighbourhood. Next time when i pop in, i will look for it. As I don't take real butter, this could be a great alternative to margarine.

Holland and Barrett sell it, shelves of the stuff. I use it on my face before hill walking as a wind barrier and it's also good to promote healing if you've cut/burned yourself as an anti-bacterial and emollient. I don't use it in cooking and I prefer other seed and other nut oils blended raw (although it's much better at staying fresh).

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/food-drink/coconut/coconut-oil/

I bought the inexpensive Vita from H&B because initially I bought it for my cats (cats can't tolerate many antiseptics). I would say it's not so refined as many others but good if you prefer it very ';coconutty'. I thought I'd have to coax them to eat it but they love it more enthusiastically than their commercial treats. It's great for dogs too!

There is a lot of hype surrounding this product generally which makes me think it must have a huge mark-up. It is preferable to many other products that are less natural - avoid margarine at all costs (DH comes from a town where they have a margarine factory, and OMG, you would not want to stand down-wind of it, makes me wretch!!! Can't even get the memory of that rancid, putrid, chemical smell out of my memory :yucky:

Holland and Barrett sell it, shelves of the stuff. I use it on my face before hill walking as a wind barrier and it's also good to promote healing if you've cut/burned yourself as an anti-bacterial and emollient. I don't use it in cooking and I prefer other seed and other nut oils blended raw (although it's much better at staying fresh).

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/food-drink/coconut/coconut-oil/

I bought the inexpensive Vita from H&B because initially I bought it for my cats (cats can't tolerate many antiseptics). I would say it's not so refined as many others but good if you prefer it very ';coconutty'. I thought I'd have to coax them to eat it but they love it more enthusiastically than their commercial treats. It's great for dogs too!

There is a lot of hype surrounding this product generally which makes me think it must have a huge mark-up. It is preferable to many other products that are less natural - avoid margarine at all costs (DH comes from a town where they have a margarine factory, and OMG, you would not want to stand down-wind of it, makes me wretch!!! Can't even get the memory of that rancid, putrid, chemical smell out of my memory :yucky:
Good old H&B! Thanks for letting me know. The truth is I secretly do love the taste of real butter but my body just couldn't deal with the consequences. For cooking I have all angles covered but spread is always bit of a problem. Good news is i really don't use spread very often. Like several times a month max. But I'd like to have some good options when I do.

Reactions: papertiger
Good old H&B! Thanks for letting me know. The truth is I secretly do love the taste of real butter but my body just couldn't deal with the consequences. For cooking I have all angles covered but spread is always bit of a problem. Good news is i really don't use spread very often. Like several times a month max. But I'd like to have some good options when I do.

I have a problem with my stomach (born with it - I'll bore you with it another time) and can't digest rich dairy fats like butter or take more than a touch of cream. If I really want a little 'something' on my bread I'll use a thin layer of real mayonnaise (low acidity and not light/diet). I know a lot of people say "hold the mayo" but a little goes a long way and seems easier to digest. Not saying it would suit you too but it's something I found works for me - and coconut won't work with everything

I have a problem with my stomach (born with it - I'll bore you with it another time) and can't digest rich dairy fats like butter or take more than a touch of cream. If I really want a little 'something' on my bread I'll use a thin layer of real mayonnaise (low acidity and not light/diet). I know a lot of people say "hold the mayo" but a little goes a long way and seems easier to digest. Not saying it would suit you too but it's something I found works for me - and coconut won't work with everything
I LOVE mayonnaise!!! One of my favourites! I cannot take cream at all! Makes me really ill. I too have a delicate stomach.
So I went to Planet Organic yesterday. I didn't find coconut butter but I found coconut yogurt and some almond butter. Will give them a try.

Reactions: Meta and papertiger
You see that's why I am the ideal audience of this recipe because I LOVE coconut taste! :smile: I also like coconut flakes as you can imagine.
Soya product is still the most established dairy alternative here and there is soya ice ream available. I have also tried almond milk but the forula formula is quite thin. There is also oat milk which I haven't tried. I find myself the older I get, the less tolerant of cow's milk I am. :annoyed:

xiangxiang, I may have mentioned this before, but I make nut milk once or twice a week. It’s so much better than the boxed variety! And you can control the thickness by the quantity of nuts you use. It’s also so delicious made with a mix of a few types of nuts, which is what I do.

Regarding the sensitivity, I find the same. But, as I really prefer the nut milk, I don’t mind. However, I would be distressed if I couldn’t have my yogurt, kefir, etc...! I also find I’m more sensitive to artificial fragrance. Not sure if things are just more strongly scented now, or if I’m just more sensitive, but I have to avoid as much as possible! :oh:

Hey ladies, sorry for jumping in with some useless info as this is a topic close to my heart - the reason cow's milk causes problems is because it is inflammatory for humans. Cow's milk is meant for... baby cows hehe. Also, many cows today are subject to hormone injections, GMO feed, stressful living conditions etc.

I was forced to change my diet and lifestyle when I was poisoned by steroids hidden in skincare (we sued). I spent 3 years recovering (rashes, allergies, eczema from face to body, nose running, itching everywhere, all sorts of fun stuff, basically immune system going nuts). When our immune system is not as strong as before (for example, when we were younger and yet to accumulate exposure to all the toxic things today), foods may cause problems when they didn't before, because our body is less resistant. A cow has 4 stomachs and humans have one. Yoghurt is not as bad because of the fermentation. But plant based is still a better choice.

Coconut oil is antibacterial, so you can even apply it on abrasions and minor wounds if you don't like that alcohol sting. I put it on my skin daily to prevent eczema relapse. For the face, it may cause break outs for some people but for the body it's amazing. I also use it to cook, and I sometimes brush my teeth with it. I quite like frying certain vegetables with it, especially kale and broccoli. You can put it in tea or coffee if you have an electric blender. You can also put grassfed butter in tea/coffee the same way. It may seem strange but tastes pretty good and is good for your health. :flowers:

On the subject of soy, I would only accept organic non-GMO soy, and sparingly because of phytoestrogen content. If you read labels on packaged food, you may find soy derivatives in many things, and these are usually made from GMO soy. If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I read this), 80% of the world's soy supply is GMO.

I find soy milk really weird in coffee so I'm happy to avoid it pretty much altogether hehe

@lanit I'm tagging you here because I don't want to derail the scarf thread. If you're on the desktop version of the forum, scroll all the way down to the end of the page and you'll see Help.
Screenshot from 2018-01-26 20-02-04.png
Click on that and you'll see on the left tab there's Smilies. You'll be able to find most of the smiles from previous interface on there.
Screenshot from 2018-01-26 20-02-41.png

Alternatively, you can also find a list we compiled back here before we knew the Smilies was hidden under Help. :P

:dothewave:

Reactions: FizzyWater
@lanit I'm tagging you here because I don't want to derail the scarf thread. If you're on the desktop version of the forum, scroll all the way down to the end of the page and you'll see Help.
View attachment 3946997
Click on that and you'll see on the left tab there's Smilies. You'll be able to find most of the smiles from previous interface on there.
View attachment 3946998

Alternatively, you can also find a list we compiled back here before we knew the Smilies was hidden under Help. :P

:dothewave:
Omg WeN you are a godsend! thank you!!!!:heart::heart::heart: ok now why isnt it working.ack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta
Hey ladies, sorry for jumping in with some useless info as this is a topic close to my heart - the reason cow's milk causes problems is because it is inflammatory for humans. Cow's milk is meant for... baby cows hehe. Also, many cows today are subject to hormone injections, GMO feed, stressful living conditions etc.

I was forced to change my diet and lifestyle when I was poisoned by steroids hidden in skincare (we sued). I spent 3 years recovering (rashes, allergies, eczema from face to body, nose running, itching everywhere, all sorts of fun stuff, basically immune system going nuts). When our immune system is not as strong as before (for example, when we were younger and yet to accumulate exposure to all the toxic things today), foods may cause problems when they didn't before, because our body is less resistant. A cow has 4 stomachs and humans have one. Yoghurt is not as bad because of the fermentation. But plant based is still a better choice.

Coconut oil is antibacterial, so you can even apply it on abrasions and minor wounds if you don't like that alcohol sting. I put it on my skin daily to prevent eczema relapse. For the face, it may cause break outs for some people but for the body it's amazing. I also use it to cook, and I sometimes brush my teeth with it. I quite like frying certain vegetables with it, especially kale and broccoli. You can put it in tea or coffee if you have an electric blender. You can also put grassfed butter in tea/coffee the same way. It may seem strange but tastes pretty good and is good for your health. :flowers:

I’m so glad you unravelled your health issue, dragonette! Certainly can be a challenge to find the root cause, and the best help. For many years, I’ve had a passion for using and learning about various natural healing modalities. Your perseverance paid off, you look healthy and vibrant!

On the subject of soy, I would only accept organic non-GMO soy, and sparingly because of phytoestrogen content. If you read labels on packaged food, you may find soy derivatives in many things, and these are usually made from GMO soy. If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I read this), 80% of the world's soy supply is GMO.

I find soy milk really weird in coffee so I'm happy to avoid it pretty much altogether hehe

I'm also not a fan of soy!

Reactions: dragonette
I LOVE mayonnaise!!! One of my favourites! I cannot take cream at all! Makes me really ill. I too have a delicate stomach.
So I went to Planet Organic yesterday. I didn't find coconut butter but I found coconut yogurt and some almond butter. Will give them a try.

We love almond butter! We also love pecan butter and cashew butter! :heart: Hope you enjoy your new treats!