Hermes Cafe Bon Temps~Good Times Cafe

The idea of being able to not snack, ever, but instead to eat "a square" of chocolate and a "small scoop" of ice cream every day fills me with. . . .a sort of bemused contempt for society. Absolutely NO offense intended to you, prepster (you know I love ya) and I agree that moderation is the key to success at many things, but it seems to me that the sort of "moderation" pushed on women (primarily) is a lot more like "abnegation." We as a society (gross generalizations coming down the pike, so beware) admire, or, at least, publically tend to praise and promote women who go to the extremes in some areas. Insanely high heels? Super constricting/revealing clothing? That's generally viewed as at least unremarkable, and often as praiseworthy. On the health front, social media feeds are chock full of fitness bloggers who claim they live for exercise and can't stand a day without some vigorous physical trial, and I suspect our culture would be loathe to criticise any woman who said she just can't get enough kale. Extreme "health"? Yup, that gets applause. But chocolate, ice cream, and anything else that is--gasp!--mildly indulgent and pleasurable? Quelle horreur! There is a reason eating disorders are most prevalent among women. Female self-denial is enshrined in most cultures, frankly.
Just sayin'.

Last edited:
On the topic of food, had a last minute overnight getaway to a local beach town on Sunday and had some delicious seafood!

View attachment 3796431
Brunch upon arrival - bacon, eggs and waffle for DH and salmon hash for me.

View attachment 3796432
Half a dozen of oysters for me to start dinner... :drool:
View attachment 3796433
Beer battered cod with chips and salad for LO, smoked salmon with bread and salad for DH and half a baked lobster with chips and salad for me.

View attachment 3796434
And a scrumptious breakfast - bacon and egg sandwich for LO, gluten free breakfast for DH and vegetarian breakfast for me (though no, I'm not vegetarian but enjoy eating vegetarian options every so often.)

And here's some pretty English roses to share. :flowers:
View attachment 3796436 View attachment 3796437 View attachment 3796438
All of your pictures are just fantastic! All that food! It all looks wonderful and I don't think you will need to eat for month after eating all of that!

Love the roses! My roses are pumping out a few more flowers as we speak, but the glory bloom period is way over.

I bought these this morning while getting groceries. I thought they were so unusual and pretty. I love the glossy, pink berries! They were labelled Hypericum which is St. John’s Wort.

View attachment 3797337

View attachment 3797340
Beautiful! I love different floral decorations! They will last a while I hope. With the heat here, I don't buy flowers in the summer because even in the A/C they don't do well.

Beautiful! I love different floral decorations! They will last a while I hope. With the heat here, I don't buy flowers in the summer because even in the A/C they don't do well.

I agree, it's fun to stumble upon unusual flowers and plants! :smile: My local grocer only carries organic flowers, so I mostly just admire, but these were very reasonably priced. I looked them up when I got home, as I was so curious about them. Info I found said they'd last up to two weeks! They have woody stems, and I guess these are really more like berries than blossoms, so maybe that helps with longevity. I thought maybe the berries were more like buds and would break open later to reveal flowers, but info did not say they will. Will keep you posted! :biggrin:

Reactions: prepster
I agree, it's fun to stumble upon unusual flowers and plants! :smile: My local grocer only carries organic flowers, so I mostly just admire, but these were very reasonably priced. I looked them up when I got home, as I was so curious about them. Info I found said they'd last up to two weeks! They have woody stems, and I guess these are really more like berries than blossoms, so maybe that helps with longevity. I thought maybe the berries were more like buds and would break open later to reveal flowers, but info did not say they will. Will keep you posted! :biggrin:
For fun, you could stick in a few white roses or other white flower like a calla lily. I think it would be pretty.

I bought these this morning while getting groceries. I thought they were so unusual and pretty. I love the glossy, pink berries! They were labelled Hypericum which is St. John’s Wort.

View attachment 3797337

View attachment 3797340
These are fantastic! The pink "fruits" look so cute! It's interesting that it's St. John's Wort. Its extract is supposed to be a remedy for depression and anxiety. I think by just looking at them can sooth you, isn't it? :smile::smile:

I must confess that I actually don't snack very much at all! :amazed::amazed: very occasionally I would eat some dark chocolate bought by my SO. Once in a full moon I will eat some ice cream. I quite like dried mango but that's about it. I eat some fruits in the morning with breakfast and I don't snack on crisps or biscuits. I don't have a sweet tooth at all and my body just don't crave anything in-between meals. But I can't skip meal either. A lot of people at work say "oh, I am so busy so I skip lunch". I can't do that. I would be in a very bad mood if I did that. I think it's due to how I was brought up. I never really snacked when I was little. 3 proper meals a day and I am all set. :smile::smile: