Hermes Cafe Bon Temps~Good Times Cafe

The "literary" type of short story scares me, nicole. These are often relatively non-narrative--more about evoking a moment or a mood. Lots left unsaid. And I always feel I've missed the point.

If you have a weather related lay over or something that is going to extend your connection or possibly force the airline to cancel your flight and rebook, go to the Admirals Club immediately. You can get a 1 day membership for about $100, and they will really take care of you. After a ugly weather shutdown at Reagan, we we something like 7th on the standby list and the woman behind the desk used her connections and made us first on the list. If she had not done that we probably would have had to wait 12 hours to get out.

Besides in weather related debacles, everyone's flight is screwed up and the airports are packed. The Admirals club is an oasis in hell.

Another AA idea..While on the plane they will offer you a credit card. If you fill out the application in flight and turn it in, they give you about 40,000 miles signing bonus. DH and I both applied for one last summer. We already have AA card, so I didn't think they would give us another, much less two, but they did. 80K miles for 5 minutes effort.

And for something to do in Miami--go to Hermes in Miami and Palm Beach and report back to us.

One more edit: Download the AA ap. You will be as informed as the gate people on any delays.
Hey Corde thank you for these great tips!
Would we be able to apply for the credit card as we are not US citizens?
I downloaded the app earlier this week, looking forward to plugging our flight numbers in and seeing what it does.
Hope we don't have delays, coming home DH has to be back at work next day, we are already going when we shouldn't as it is in term time!
Really looking forward to this trip, I am storing all the great suggestions.
:hugs:

Reactions: lulilu and prepster
Lol! We had a little bird nesting in a large pot near the front door and I wouldn't let anyone use the front door until her little birdies were hatched and had flown away. Every little bit helps. :smile: Hopefully she'll repay the favor by eating a mosquito, or fly or tick so they won't bite me.

RE: Miami
When I'm in Miami I like to stay at the Ritz-Carlton on Key Biscayne. DH likes it there because he likes to play golf at Crandon. If you like golf, it is a par-72, and supposedly (I say because I don't play golf) one of the top 100 courses. It is about 10-ish minutes from Miami Beach, but more low-key (pardon the pun).
Hey prepster thank you.
Xiang mentioned the Ritz Carlton at South Beach, I wonder if it is the same one.
My DH is not a golfer, there are no engines involved with golf, unless you count the buggy, but that is probably electric thinking about it.
I bet Miami is glorious for playing golf, beautiful spaces and endless sunshine.

Reactions: lulilu
Hey prepster thank you.
Xiang mentioned the Ritz Carlton at South Beach, I wonder if it is the same one.
My DH is not a golfer, there are no engines involved with golf, unless you count the buggy, but that is probably electric thinking about it.
I bet Miami is glorious for playing golf, beautiful spaces and endless sunshine.

Hi, The RC at South Beach is a different hotel, but also nice, on the South Beach "strip." The one on Key Biscayne is on Grand Bay Drive and is a few minutes away from South Beach and is more resort-ish. If you don't stay there but decide to go out to Key Biscayne to see the SeaQuarium or the lighthouse, or take a sea plane tour, there is a good place at the hotel for burgers on the beach, very low-key and casual--I think it's called Dune.

For anyone who was interested in the louboutin Cadrilla shoes, the Ones that I preordered arrived. I'm deciding whether I like them. The shape is a bit odd. They are square toed but cut low. They are very comfortable. They run a bit large. I'm a 38 in other brands, a 38.5 in louboutin. I might have to exchange them for a 38 if i want to keep them. What do people think?

View attachment 3739049View attachment 3739050
Sorry but I agree with others, not loving these on you.
Although if they are comfy then it is worth it.

Reactions: lulilu
The "literary" type of short story scares me, nicole. These are often relatively non-narrative--more about evoking a moment or a mood. Lots left unsaid. And I always feel I've missed the point.

I think my favorite type is somewhere in the middle, not completely abstract, but with a minimal plot, more about evocative, as you say, or suggesting a truth.

Definitely have breakfast/coffee at News Cafe one morning, I used to be in Miami often for work and wouldn't stay in fancy hotels but I was always walking distance to Ocean Drive and would love to sit at News and people watch while having Huevos Rancheros. Actually all of South Beach is amazing for people watching.

I'm not sure if dive bars are anyone's style but The Deuce on 14th Street is a mostly locals spot and it's a nice respite from $25+ cocktails at all the hotels although it was made famous by all the tattoo shows in Miami and may not be so cool anymore. I haven't been in a few years. Fair warning, it's the antithesis of the Ritz or the Delano!
Wasn't the News Cafe where gianni Versace got his brew and papers? I/We never thought of people watching, what a great idea. I go primarily for antique shows, visiting a different H, and the bright sunny colorful days.

Hi xiang that sounds wonderful I love Deco buildings.
Thank you for the tips!
Looking forward to checking them out.
In the 80s we were on a tour of Miami which included buzzing past the pastel Deco buildings. There was a cluster of them and they stood out from the rest of the architecture. If you want to know what they looked like before the rest of the area got built up watch the early scenes in Scarface, the movie. It's not a big panoramic view of them but then in the 80s they weren't really a big panoramic view, anyhow.

I think my favorite type is somewhere in the middle, not completely abstract, but with a minimal plot, more about evocative, as you say, or suggesting a truth.
I generally avoid fiction in favor of history or biography. I wanted to read The Remains of the Day and wound up instead with another Kazuo Ishiguro novel, An Artist of the Floating World. I sat up all night to finish that sucker. I'm not sure I really understood it for all that. This is what fiction does to me: I gotta see the end right away. With nonfiction, I already know the ending. I can take my time, read it thoughtfully, or better, just dip into whatever section I feel like reading whether it's in chronological order or not.

Would we be able to apply for the credit card as we are not US citizens?

I think so. Credit is pretty international. The worst that can happen is they would not approve your application. So all you lose is about 5 minutes of your time on a long flight.

I didn't think they would approve us since we already had one. They approved both of us so now we have 3 citibank cards with different account numbers. You have to spend about $2,000 on them before they give you the miles. We pay for absolutely everything by credit card to get the miles and pay off the full balance each month so we have no finance charges.

I generally avoid fiction in favor of history or biography. I wanted to read The Remains of the Day and wound up instead with another Kazuo Ishiguro novel, An Artist of the Floating World. I sat up all night to finish that sucker. I'm not sure I really understood it for all that. This is what fiction does to me: I gotta see the end right away. With nonfiction, I already know the ending. I can take my time, read it thoughtfully, or better, just dip into whatever section I feel like reading whether it's in chronological order or not.

That is a really interesting perspective. I never thought about it that way!
I rarely read nonfiction other than work-related, but have enjoyed what I have read. Did you read Devil in the White City? That was really engaging.

Reactions: prepster