Hermes Bolide zipper

jayheez

Sep 27, 2019
Hi,

I am a proud new owner of a beautiful Bolide 27 in epsom gold. I absolutely love the bag but had some questions about the zipper in hopes the community could help me out.

I found that when the zipper is fully closed the zipper head touches the leather (please refer to attached pic). I am afraid that repeated closings of the bag will eventually wear out the edge seal of the leather. Can you please help me by letting me know if your Bolide's zipper head touches the leather when in the fully closed position, and if so how is the edge seal holding up? I don't have too many bags with zipper openings, but the ones that due I've noticed that there is always a tiny gap between the zipper head and handbag material.

Another thing I noticed with the zipper is that when it is in the fully closed position (i.e. zipper head fully covers the little rectangular zipper stops), it takes a little bit more effort (more than "normal") to move the zipper head out of the closed position. The rest of the zipper movement is very smooth; it's just the initial movement from the fully closed position takes more effort.

Any help is appreciated, especially pics! Thank you!

bolide_open_zipper.jpgbolide_closed_zipper.JPG

Hi,

I am a proud new owner of a beautiful Bolide 27 in epsom gold. I absolutely love the bag but had some questions about the zipper in hopes the community could help me out.

I found that when the zipper is fully closed the zipper head touches the leather (please refer to attached pic). I am afraid that repeated closings of the bag will eventually wear out the edge seal of the leather. Can you please help me by letting me know if your Bolide's zipper head touches the leather when in the fully closed position, and if so how is the edge seal holding up? I don't have too many bags with zipper openings, but the ones that due I've noticed that there is always a tiny gap between the zipper head and handbag material.

Another thing I noticed with the zipper is that when it is in the fully closed position (i.e. zipper head fully covers the little rectangular zipper stops), it takes a little bit more effort (more than "normal") to move the zipper head out of the closed position. The rest of the zipper movement is very smooth; it's just the initial movement from the fully closed position takes more effort.

Any help is appreciated, especially pics! Thank you!

View attachment 4854319View attachment 4854320
Congratulations on your new bag, I love my Bolide. I rarely close the zipper but tested mine to see if I experienced the same thing, and can confirm I do. I guess it needs to close closely enough should you wish to use the lock, which means it will touch the leather, which is sealed on mine so I don’t think would cause a problem. I also notice a stiffness of action when reopening, I just think it’s the action of the zip over the square end rather than the narrower teeth? Anyhow, I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about...

Congratulations on your new bag, I love my Bolide. I rarely close the zipper but tested mine to see if I experienced the same thing, and can confirm I do. I guess it needs to close closely enough should you wish to use the lock, which means it will touch the leather, which is sealed on mine so I don’t think would cause a problem. I also notice a stiffness of action when reopening, I just think it’s the action of the zip over the square end rather than the narrower teeth? Anyhow, I don’t think it’s anything to be concerned about...

Hi paul24jen, thank you so much for your reply! I'm glad to hear that you are experiencing the same, which to me confirms that things are normal. Although I realize Hermes handbags are handcrafted and each bag has their own "personality", I can't help but be paranoid at times on details that may not seem normal (especially at these price points).

I agree with your assessment on the stiffness of action when reopening. It may even be by design. I was concerned at first because the zippers on my non-Hermes handbags opened a lot smoother. And because the Bolide is pretty much the only fully zippered Hermes handbag, there was nothing to compare it too.

That's where I'm thankful for this community and members like you. We can help each other out and enjoy our beautiful bags for what they are.

I’ve never had a problem with the zipper wearing down the edge. The two problems I’ve had with a Bolide are: 1. the fabric of the zipper getting dirty and 2. the hooks from the straps leaving black marks near the rings where they attach to the bag.

I’ve never had a problem with the zipper wearing down the edge. The two problems I’ve had with a Bolide are: 1. the fabric of the zipper getting dirty and 2. the hooks from the straps leaving black marks near the rings where they attach to the bag.

Thanks for the advice Giuliana! I'll lookout for those things in the future.