Hermès and Ethics: Sustainability, Animal Testing and Treatment, Corporate Social Responsibility

I am so glad I came across this thread and thank you to op for creating it. I’d like to know more about the actual standards for animal welfare and slaughter for h leather goods. Anyone know where those docs can be found eg do calves get let out of their pens? What are they fed? At what age do they get slaughtered? What are the stunning practices? Are facilities regularly inspected? What is done to ensure the comfort of these animals?

As a general comment, I’ve seen too many videos and read too many articles (and not peta ones) that show ill treatment and abuse of animals used for meat and for hides. I see fluff words when luxury companies talk about humane treatment of animals. I’m one that likes to see the standards and the proof.

I am not opposed to slaughtering animals for meat and hide but it needs to be done humanely and I want assurances of ethical treatment.I avoid buying leather products (and wish others would too) made in countries which are known to have no or essentially non existent or largely unenforced animal welfare laws. I also think that reducing meat consumption and purchase of leather products is something everyone should strive for, for the betterment of the planet.

I am so glad I came across this thread and thank you to op for creating it. I’d like to know more about the actual standards for animal welfare and slaughter for h leather goods. Anyone know where those docs can be found eg do calves get let out of their pens? What are they fed? At what age do they get slaughtered? What are the stunning practices? Are facilities regularly inspected? What is done to ensure the comfort of these animals?

As a general comment, I’ve seen too many videos and read too many articles (and not peta ones) that show ill treatment and abuse of animals used for meat and for hides. I see fluff words when luxury companies talk about humane treatment of animals. I’m one that likes to see the standards and the proof.

I am not opposed to slaughtering animals for meat and hide but it needs to be done humanely and I want assurances of ethical treatment.I avoid buying leather products (and wish others would too) made in countries which are known to have no or essentially non existent or largely unenforced animal welfare laws. I also think that reducing meat consumption and purchase of leather products is something everyone should strive for, for the betterment of the planet.
I would start with the Hermès annual report. What you really need is the tanneries' practices, though, and H uses more than one. France does have pretty decent animal welfare laws.

I would start with the Hermès annual report. What you really need is the tanneries' practices, though, and H uses more than one. France does have pretty decent animal welfare laws.
I looked through the report but didn’t see standards or where they can be located. If anyone is familiar with animal welfare laws in France that would be helpful. I wish there was more transparency about this. So many people don’t pay attention to where and how leather is sourced. They only care about the end product. Me I care about start to finish.

Reactions: smallfry and LKNN
I looked through the report but didn’t see standards or where they can be located. If anyone is familiar with animal welfare laws in France that would be helpful. I wish there was more transparency about this. So many people don’t pay attention to where and how leather is sourced. They only care about the end product. Me I care about start to finish.

This article doesn't have everything, but I think there's enough information here to allow you to find the exact answers you're looking for.