Arts & Crafts Here's What Has Been Keeping Me Busy!

kmccrea

Designer At Large
Apr 28, 2006
Here are a few projects I've completed! Since I am not very photogenic, you don't get to see all of me...just my clothes:biggrin:
I hope you enjoy the pictures!
2435858950026641850S425x425Q85.jpg

This is a silk knit top and skirt. It's everyone's favorite, including mine! For me, it's kind of sexy.
2106056100026641850S425x425Q85.jpg

This purple knit dress features shaping darts and contrast trim. Very quick project.
2791131000026641850S425x425Q85.jpg

The hot pink number started with the same pattern as the purple one, but I eliminated the shaping darts by turning them into princess seams. The shaping darts are just too much a hassle for me.

Thanks!
The print shows off my figure nicely. I've another outfit in the works. The skirt is finished. Just the top remains to be stitched together.

Well done, you've done a great job! :woohoo::ps:

I'm still flat out sewing in a straight line (though a couple of beers help, heheh!), so sewing clothing and having it hang right seems a million miles away to me! :wacko:

Hi, Frankie!
First off, make sure you're using the right fabric for the intended garment and that it's on grain! Make a little snip in the fabric about an inch from the end and then tear it the rest of the way, your fabric should be on grain from that end. Steam the fabric back into shape and lay out the pattern piece from the torn end.
On knits, you have to do something different. Take one end of the fabric and fold it so the selvages meet. Hold it up and raise or lower the layer of fabric closest to you until you see no diagonal folds and pin it in place unless you're confident enough to get it to the cutting table with losing the grain again. Cut the fabric so that the ends match up.
As far as making your first garment, try some t-shirts! They are super easy, give you all the basic skills (except closures) and nobody cares if you have a million of them! Don't let those sleeves scare you, just tack the top of the sleeve to the shoulder seam and the rest will flow from there. T-shirt sleeves don't need to be gathered (don't get the patterns which do require that) so that's one less scary process.
Good luck and let me know if there's anything else I can do to encourage you along the path of garment sewing!