Help with my Hermes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me get this. You got offered a Kelly 28 by the Hermes store in a gorgeous color and hw combination (which you must like too, because you brought it home). But you are having doubts because of the year stamp? Why? What’s the problem? Is there an issue with 2016? Don’t get it...
:shocked:
OP asked a valid question and wanted advice.
Members here should be respected not judged.

Valid skeptics as well. Checking blind stamp after bringing home the bag? I have more question marks

Why would you question this?
As an ancient Hermes buyer I have never stood at the counter when picking up my bag and checked for the year of production. Most people look over the bag for any obvious flaws, either love it or hate it, refuse it or buy it.

In this case she purchased it and then checked the bag more closely when she got home. Nothing peculiar there.

As an ancient Hermes buyer I have never stood at the counter when picking up my bag and checked for the year of production. Most people look over the bag for any obvious flaws, either love it or hate it, refuse it or buy it.

In this case she purchased it and then checked the bag more closely when she got home. Nothing peculiar there.

Why would I not question this? As an Hermes buyer, I always check through the bags everything incl. flaws, zipper, stamps, handles, stitching, resins, hw, crochette... then make the decision accept or not. I believe 100 people would have a 100 different buying habits, some more careful and logical, some more emotional, some micro focus, some macro, etc. While someone ask not to judge, am I being judged for raising my skepticism? But having said this, I’m happy to take questions and be judged if I have genuine interest in getting advise here. I constantly remind myself the pitfalls of double standards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bereal

This! Some bags I’ve never looked at the stamp even when I got home. Granted, they weren’t b/k/c.

My only inspection at the store would be if I loved the color and hardware combo and there are no flaws that I see upon looking it over - popped stitches, corner/hw wear, visible scratches to leather, etc.

I’d really feel awkward to check stamps right there - it’s not like I’m an expert and wouldn’t like to come across to my SA as a wannabe. It’s a fine line between being seen as an enthusiast or a wannabe know it all, at least to me.

But back to OP’s question - if upon further inspection you found that the only thing wrong with it was the date - there wasn’t any sign of wear or anything like that - maybe you can ask your SA about it? It’s a lot of money to have any doubts.

If a member would like to open a new thread on the various H shopping/inspecting habits of H customers that'd fine and quite interesting but I believe the OP's question(s) was/were fairly clear. Personally, I've bought new bags at H without even knowing where the date stamp is located.

It's also not against any rules to investigate the questioner a little further if all is not clear from the post for clarity. It is unusual for someone to secure a highly sought after H bag and then think of returning because the date stamp is not this year's ad the OP's post was very brief. However, as in a previous thread it was evident that in our bag-collector's world there is increasing consciousness about date stamps and depreciation in the resale market place (eve though this may not be what the OP had in mind). It's very hard to return an H bag after sometime or being used and a faulty return would not automatically be put back into circulation, so if those may be the worry then rest assured.

Let's just try to not argue among ourselves

@andilovechanel

1. It's not that uncommon to have a bag/SLG with a stamp date of the previous year or even the one before last. So it's not exactly common for K or Bs but it isn't unheard of either.

2. If you return for a later model you will usually not get the same seasonal colour. I would certainly not exchange it because of a previous year stamp.

just want to share my experience because i'm fairly in the early part of my addiction to hermes and, as pointed out, we all have different shopping habits as well as motivations for purchasing. i think it's both fair to be concerned about something (OP's question) and be skeptic about it (some responses). However we can do this KINDLY and without being rude to others. :flowers:

I took home my first H (B30 - Blue Electrique) just a month ago. When I was offered the bag, i checked for what is common to the eye, defects/flaws, and decided whether the color and size fit my lifestyle. That's it. i didn't look for the stamp or what not. i'm not a reseller but honestly, i think it's a good idea anyway to know these things. In the grand scheme, it doesn't matter to me but since the info is out there -- it makes someone like me, paranoid especially when you're a bag newbie. i absolutely trust an H store and trust my SA but I am a walking paranoid person and think a bad bag (exchanged) can infiltrate a system and everyone can make mistakes. Not heard it happen but anything is possible.

i did ask my SA about the leather type when we were at the boutique and I remember Taurillon something something... and i asked care/whether the leather is easy to maintain and SA said oh yes this is a good leather, just don't ever get the bag wet. That's all i really needed to know. It felt light in my hands too which is what i mostly care about.

Fast forward a month later.. I can't remember the bag leather type. I still love my bag and would never dare return/exchange it, no matter what leather it is. The box and receipt do not state the leather type and i'm clueless as to how to find out what exactly it is, especially after reading and poking around that hermes offered a new type of taurilon leather this season. so i wanted to know which of those I had, as it may matter to me down the line. :confused1:

I just wanted to point out that what is trivial information to someone, can be important to someone else. or sometimes we forget things. :angel:

OP - if you got it from a boutique, and the bag is in new condition, i would not worry about the date stamp! Love your bag for what it is.

Sideline - does anyone know how i can figure out the leather of my bag? Sorry to high jack your thread OP

Status
Not open for further replies.