Help! Slight home haircolor mishap!

treegap

Feb 17, 2008
I have colored my hair several times at home (never at a salon) with various drugstore brand dyes, but I'm really quite a newbie. I've always gone darker from my natural dark brown so I've never had a problem. Today I decided to go one shade up to medium brown since my hair generally gets naturally a little lighter in the summer with some reddish highlights, etc. I tried Garnier Nutrisse 535 Chocolate Caramel and while it has given my hair a nice reddish golden tint, it also lightened my roots much more than the length of my hair. They're almost pink! :wtf: It could be from my own uneven application, I don't know, but I know that I don't like them! Any advice? Could I use one of those root touch up products just on the roots in a darker color, or, at least... how long do I have to wait to re-color a darker shade (i.e. back to my natural color). Any advice is greatly appreciated! TIA!

Blech. I definitely left it on long enough. I think I probably should just get it fixed by a pro. It's not horrid looking (despite "pink" sounding nightmarish)- it's just lighter at the crown of my head (probably where it's naturally lighter). I guess I learned my lesson. :sad:

I think one of the problems was that your darker hair would not get lighter with a lighter color but your uncolored roots would take color. For them turning pinkish it almost sounds like the color was not left on for the right time or your hair grabs colors/reacts to color. I have medium dark brown hair but cut short and if I dye it a very light blond it takes color great but if I try to dye it darker blond it gets very dark to where it looks like I dye it brown.
If you don't want to go to a salon I think one of those natural instinct colors in a medium brown will fix the root problem. I am sure their are some professionals here that might know what went wrong.
Good luck.

oh dear...yes this is a common problem with at home hair dye application. first of all, normally with hair dye, the lengths of your hair take longer to dye than the roots of your hair.

If you've been dying your hair, then it's a whole other scenario. if you dye often, the box of most brands gives you 'touch up dye directions' as opposed to 'regular "first time" hair dyeing instructions. one your hair is dyed, the folicles on it get opened up, have dye go under the hair folicles, and then the conditioners they give you reseal it. if you dye a lot, it damages your hair and you have to go through certain steps to ensure you get the right color.

dying darker is always easier, going lighter is a whole different story. when you go lighter, usually you need to get a toner to make sure the residue from previous dye jobs gets removed first, allowing you to create a 'base' to dye on, and lighten.

for example, you dyed your hair a dark ash brown. you're naturally a medium brown. now you dont like the ash brown, and you want to be a honey blonde. you have to first put red toner over the ash brown, to counterbalance the color. if you dont, you hair is going to end up greenish brown.

from what you describe (and i hate garnier anything with a passion :yuk:smile: it sounds like the dye had some bleach in it. normally when you bleach brown hair, you get shades of weird pinky orange....it sounds like maybe you left it on too long as well. It treated your roots (undyed hair) differently than the rest of your hair which already has a ton of dye residue from past dye jobs.

i would do the following to fix this:
* wash your hair immediately with dishwashing soap. this has detergent agents in it that will get rid of a lot of the hair dye you just put in. dry and wait a day.
*NOW depending on what color you want to go to, either buy a light ash blonde to minimize the brassiness (that sounds like what color you have now, that pinkish color you're refering too) or a medium golden brown and redye. try to get a semipermanent by 'herbal essences', 'revlon casting' color or if you want to go permanent, go 'feria'.

can you take pics? this would help a ton, and then maybe i can help you with color numbers to use from these brands...

or if you dont want to stress, you can try going to a professional, but i have seen them royally screw up color correction as well and charge an arm and a leg

OP: I almost would suggest some type of rinse instead to balance the color. Unless you totally know what you are doing (which you said you are a newbie) I would be careful putting another permanent/semi permanent on top so soon. Sometimes you have to let the color "sit" and "age" to get the true idea of what it looks like.

It almost seems like you may have allowed it to process too long. When going darker, you can do that, but not when going lighter...time is of the essence.

OP: I almost would suggest some type of rinse instead to balance the color. Unless you totally know what you are doing (which you said you are a newbie) I would be careful putting another permanent/semi permanent on top so soon. Sometimes you have to let the color "sit" and "age" to get the true idea of what it looks like.

It almost seems like you may have allowed it to process too long. When going darker, you can do that, but not when going lighter...time is of the essence.

Yes, I'm pretty sure now I probably left it on a tad too long and it's all hot at the roots so it processes faster anyway. I guess I'll try to live with it for at least two weeks or maybe try a color deposit product on the roots just to be safe.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Next time I'll be going darker, or going to the salon!