HELP! Re-dyed red lambskin!

Fennie

O.G.
Apr 12, 2012
I just redyed my red lambskin bag due to color transfer and such at Chanel. The bag came back with a similar red but lost the lambskin gloss and isn't "shiny" anymore. Has anyone experience this with their redye process from Chanel? Should I bring it back to them and let them know? Is there any way to restore the lambskin glossy look? Thank you for answering!!

Yes, that's pretty much the outcome when your recolor leather bags... :smile:
they won't be as buttery soft as before... but with use it will be better....
One thing I notice they don't stain easily after recolor and easily cleaned with cadillac leather care...
Despite the texture the color of your bag gorgeous again!

p/s: I recolored my Miu Miu Coffer and a couple of my vintage channels (due to loss of color and stain) all of them was very light colors... light beige and blue...

Do you mind posting your black chanel lambskin so I can do a comparison? Thank you!

Per your request, here is one of my favorite Chanel bags for you to compare. The picture is not very good, the leather is buttery and not glossy. Though, it was refurbished long time ago. :smile:

Attachments

• photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,552
Per your request, here is one of my favorite Chanel bags for you to compare. The picture is not very good, the leather is buttery and not glossy. Though, it was refurbished long time ago. :smile:

She looks great! How long has it been since the refurbishment? My bag came with no mark that was originally there, not as glossy as it use to be, 95% identical in terms of color, a bit stiff and no color transfer (I rubbed a piece of white paper all over the bag to test it) Chanel did a great job. I hope that through time and use the bag will become less stiff and as gorgeous as yours!

Before sending her in

Attachments

• image-1932805627.jpg
    image-1932805627.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 1,437
  • image-4212885566.jpg
    image-4212885566.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 1,391
  • image-2348837697.jpg
    image-2348837697.jpg
    525.6 KB · Views: 1,405
  • image-3198784772.jpg
    image-3198784772.jpg
    542.5 KB · Views: 1,386
Before sending her in

After:

The lighting in my room makes the red a little different but they're very similar in color before and after. Marks are gone, my only worry is the stiff part that resulted from it. If anyone has redyed their lambskin and have inputs regarding the results of my bag whether its similar to what you've gotten done please let me know!

Attachments

• image-1577727669.jpg
    image-1577727669.jpg
    525 KB · Views: 1,399
  • image-1770216319.jpg
    image-1770216319.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 1,399
Yes, that's pretty much the outcome when your recolor leather bags... :smile:
they won't be as buttery soft as before... but with use it will be better....
One thing I notice they don't stain easily after recolor and easily cleaned with cadillac leather care...
Despite the texture the color of your bag gorgeous again!

p/s: I recolored my Miu Miu Coffer and a couple of my vintage channels (due to loss of color and stain) all of them was very light colors... light beige and blue...

Thank you for your input! I posted a couple of pictures of the before and after. The black stain on the corner of my bag was the only problem, I think I shouldve attempted to clean it off myself before sending her in but I didnt want to ruin the bag and then the color would be uneven so I sent it in. Can you tell me more in details how the bag would become better with use? It's good to that they dont stain easily after the redye process since I dont plan on doing it again anytime soon. May I ask how you clean your lambskin with cadillac leather care? I have a couple of Chanel but she's my only lambskin, caviar is a lot less of a maintenance but this red was to die for.

Thank you for your input! I posted a couple of pictures of the before and after. The black stain on the corner of my bag was the only problem, I think I shouldve attempted to clean it off myself before sending her in but I didnt want to ruin the bag and then the color would be uneven so I sent it in. Can you tell me more in details how the bag would become better with use? It's good to that they dont stain easily after the redye process since I dont plan on doing it again anytime soon. May I ask how you clean your lambskin with cadillac leather care? I have a couple of Chanel but she's my only lambskin, caviar is a lot less of a maintenance but this red was to die for.

Yeah, I saw the pics, they were great! Thanks for posting them! The damage was pretty marked so the recolor was necessary since the leather was quite abraded so they needed to smoothen it back again... You made the right call to get her to professionals.... :biggrin: The result is superb... I've seen blotchy job where the dye became flaky... :O
Overtime as you carry your bag, it makes it less stiffer if compared to the first time you use it after recolor... My leather restorer who recolored my bags explained that the leather dye absorbs into the leather and also forms a film on top of leather too... that is why you don't feel the initial buttery soft texture your bag had before...
I just use a soft clean cloth and a bit of cadillac lotion, dampen the cloth a bit and just wipe/buff lightly... it helped to clean the color transfer and soften the leather of my recolored bag. Because I do get it dirty anyway with my jeans or some other thing :P so I need to clean them from time to time.. It is gentle enough to be used on caviar too! I like it very much :smile: (But with this bear in mind to try at a small conspicuous area first before doing the whole bag, since not all leather are the same) ;)

I'm sorry I only have my Baby Blue Large Miu Miu Coffer that was recolored about 1-2 years back.... I wear her with dark jeans... and clean her immediately after since there is always color transfer... I don't worry too much about my bags... I gotten over it now... there's a lot of remedy out there :graucho:

Attachments

• IMG_0934.JPG
    IMG_0934.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,254
Yeah, I saw the pics, they were great! Thanks for posting them! The damage was pretty marked so the recolor was necessary since the leather was quite abraded so they needed to smoothen it back again... You made the right call to get her to professionals.... :biggrin: The result is superb... I've seen blotchy job where the dye became flaky... :O
Overtime as you carry your bag, it makes it less stiffer if compared to the first time you use it after recolor... My leather restorer who recolored my bags explained that the leather dye absorbs into the leather and also forms a film on top of leather too... that is why you don't feel the initial buttery soft texture your bag had before...
I just use a soft clean cloth and a bit of cadillac lotion, dampen the cloth a bit and just wipe/buff lightly... it helped to clean the color transfer and soften the leather of my recolored bag. Because I do get it dirty anyway with my jeans or some other thing :P so I need to clean them from time to time.. It is gentle enough to be used on caviar too! I like it very much :smile: (But with this bear in mind to try at a small conspicuous area first before doing the whole bag, since not all leather are the same) ;)

I'm sorry I only have my Baby Blue Large Miu Miu Coffer that was recolored about 1-2 years back.... I wear her with dark jeans... and clean her immediately after since there is always color transfer... I don't worry too much about my bags... I gotten over it now... there's a lot of remedy out there :graucho:

Thank you very much for your advice!:biggrin: I'll definitely purchase the cadillac lotion to give the bag a bit of moisture and clean it with. Your bag looks great after re-dye and constant use! I feel a lot better after seeing the results of some redye bags here.