HELP! Personal SA and Item Search

Sep 2, 2013
Hi,

During lunch, I called the LV boutique closest to me (the one I frequent and is a couple of hours away) in search of a specific Made in France SLG. The CSA asked me which LV location I was closest to so she could check their inventory.

I guess the call was directed to the main 800 line?

Pardon if that is common knowledge. I typically visit an LV boutique (either a standalone one or inside a department store) in person. I've never really called any of the locations or the main 800 number. I've never ordered online, either.

The CSA told me that the nearest boutique ("my" boutique) didn't have the item at all. So she asked me if I wanted her to check with the Bloomingdale's and Neiman Marcus close to this boutique.

I don't know if that Bloomingdale's didn't have it, either (she didn't tell me), because she transferred my call to the Neiman Marcus location. I spoke with an SA there. He confirmed that he had what I wanted and he is holding it for me.

How long will he hold it? I've never asked for an item to be put on hold.

I really wanted one of my favorite SAs at "my" boutique to get the credit if I make this purchase. It's in the same mall as the Neiman Marcus. The Bloomingdale's is just across the street at the other mall. I was under the impression that "my" boutique could ask for the item to be transferred.

I should have contacted my favorite SAs in the first place, but I made the call during my lunch break, and I was rushing. I thought calling the boutique directly would connect me to one of the SAs on the floor, then I was going to ask if one of my favorite SAs were there to assist me.

I'm relatively new to LV. In that short time, I've always received great service at this boutique, which is the reason it's my favorite.

Thanks for any wisdom you can share with me. [emoji5]

A call to any of the LV stores now automatically redirects to the 1-866 team. They can the connect you directly to the store but don't like to do so unless absolutely necessary. Department store boutiques and stand alone boutiques don't share inventory and even have different sales/returns policies sometimes. When the boutique holds an item for you, it is typically for 48 hours, I'm not sure what NM policy is. Since your store didn't have the item, I don't believe there is any circumstance where your SA would have received "credit" for the sale, or even if that matters (to my knowledge they aren't commission based and it's not even clear if they have sales goals). They wouldn't have transferred the item to the LV boutique, your only other option would have been a charge-send where they ship the item directly to you from a boutique that has it in stock in store.

Reactions: BlackGrayRed
A call to any of the LV stores now automatically redirects to the 1-866 team. They can the connect you directly to the store but don't like to do so unless absolutely necessary. Department store boutiques and stand alone boutiques don't share inventory and even have different sales/returns policies sometimes. When the boutique holds an item for you, it is typically for 48 hours, I'm not sure what NM policy is. Since your store didn't have the item, I don't believe there is any circumstance where your SA would have received "credit" for the sale, or even if that matters (to my knowledge they aren't commission based and it's not even clear if they have sales goals). They wouldn't have transferred the item to the LV boutique, you're only other option would have been a charge send where they ship the item directly to you from a boutique that has it in stock in store.

Thank you for your prompt reply!
I appreciate it!

Is this policy new--calls being redirected to the 1-866 team? And why do they prefer not to transfer calls to the stores?

Hmmmm...so I had it wrong then.

I thought they were able to transfer items.

And I thought every boutique (standalone or department store) can search the entire inventory, if not worldwide, then nationwide. Do I call the 1-866 number directly for this information? I've read TPFers sharing stories when they said they bought the "last one" in the country. How would they know that?

I also thought my SA would receive "credit" if she was the one to close the sale, per se.

Yes, I was thinking of doing a charge send. I'm not certain when I'll be able to make my next visit, with it being two hours away and my busy work schedule.

This purchase would be included in my LV records, correct?

Another reason I wanted one of my favorite SAs to assist me with this is that the SA who helped me today over the phone (at NM) was a bit snotty. I don't know how comfortable I'd be asking him to closely inspect the SLG before sending it to me. Maybe when I call tomorrow, a friendlier SA would be the one handling my purchase over the phone.

Should I need to exchange or return this item (or need any repairs in the future), I can go to any LV boutique, right? Since the client records are centralized at LV (even if the purchase is made in a department store)?

If I want to exchange or return, do I have to mail it back to the same NM location? Can I do this in person at any NM with an LV boutique or any standalone LV boutique?

Lots of question, I know.

Thank you, again!

Last edited:
Thank you for your prompt reply!
I appreciate it!

Is this policy new--calls being redirected to the 1-866 team? And why do they prefer not to transfer calls to the stores?

Hmmmm...so I had it wrong then.

I thought they were able to transfer items.

And I thought every boutique (standalone or department store) can search the entire inventory, if not worldwide, then nationwide. Do I call the 1-866 number directly for this information? I've read TPFers sharing stories when they said they bought the "last one" in the country. How would they know that?

I also thought my SA would receive "credit" if she was the one to close the sale, per se.

Yes, I was thinking of doing a charge send. I'm not certain when I'll be able to make my next visit, with it being two hours away and my busy work schedule.

This purchase would be included in my LV records, correct?

Another reason I wanted one of my favorite SAs to assist me with this is that the SA who helped me today over the phone (at NM) was a bit snotty. I don't know how comfortable I'd be asking him to closely inspect the SLG before sending it to me. Maybe when I call tomorrow, a friendlier SA would be the one handling my purchase over the phone.

Should I need to exchange or return this item (or need any repairs in the future), I can go to any LV boutique, right? Since the client records are centralized at LV (even if the purchase is made in a department store)?

If I want to exchange or return, do I have to mail it back to the same NM location? Can I do this in person at any NM with an LV boutique or any standalone LV boutique?

Lots of question, I know.

Thank you, again!
- no, it's not a new policy. They have been transferring people to the centralized LV call center for years.
- they prefer not to transfer calls because people would be calling all day long with questions about products and prevent SAs to work on the sales floor.
- It appears that the personal commission is a newer policy. Whoever processes the sale would get the credit for it.
- yes. Your purchase will be kept in LV's sales record.
- you can exchange or return at any Louis Vuitton store, no worries there.

- no, it's not a new policy. They have been transferring people to the centralized LV call center for years.
- they prefer not to transfer calls because people would be calling all day long with questions about products and prevent SAs to work on the sales floor.
- It appears that the personal commission is a newer policy. Whoever processes the sale would get the credit for it.
- yes. Your purchase will be kept in LV's sales record.
- you can exchange or return at any Louis Vuitton store, no worries there.

Thank you, fabuleux!

You always have such great insights and advice...and you're so sweet and friendly about it! Very thankful.

Yay!

Reactions: fabuleux