Help needed! Lightweight leather bag, practical for work?

bucha

O.G.
Aug 4, 2012
Hi all,

I have enough of those extremely-stylish-but-too-heavy leather bags. My collection basically consists of beautiful but useless bags for work! Does anyone know of a bag that respects the following criteria:

- lightweight
- stylish
- durable leather, preferably dark - even better, black
- numerous compartments (for keys, iPhone, pen, ID...)
- comfortable shoulder straps (as in, flat and sturdy - no thin straps à la Neverfull or Chanel-style chains)
- removable crossbody shoulder strap (could be a nice bonus)
- can carry an iPad 2nd generation
- budget $2,500, could stretch to $3,000

I know this is a long list, but I have so many bags and have been disappointed so many times. I don't want to have more back pain or costochondritis because of a bag!

Thanks in advance!
bucha

I find balenciaga to be the best lightweight leather bag. I just use the Velo to work and it can fit my 13" computer, a book, long wallet, pouch, small umbrella and water bottle. With all those, it still does not weigh me down like the Chloe Marcie, for instance. My bal velo is very sturdy! I am thinking of getting the Work for more room. The velo also looks great even with few things in it and it's a real crossbody bag. I like that option.

Second on my fave work bag is the LV Delightful MM. This one is roomier than the Velo and the wide shoulder straps is easy on the shoulders. The way the bag slouch hobo-style also is a plus as it doesn't look like a luggage even if full. It's light and leather quality is amazing.

Third is my Miu miu matelasse medium shopping tote. It looks structured yet soft and silky to the touch. It can hold a lot and yet still light. It has an optional straps for handsfree needs.

Hope this helps.

I find balenciaga to be the best lightweight leather bag. I just use the Velo to work and it can fit my 13" computer, a book, long wallet, pouch, small umbrella and water bottle. With all those, it still does not weigh me down like the Chloe Marcie, for instance. My bal velo is very sturdy! I am thinking of getting the Work for more room. The velo also looks great even with few things in it and it's a real crossbody bag. I like that option.

Second on my fave work bag is the LV Delightful MM. This one is roomier than the Velo and the wide shoulder straps is easy on the shoulders. The way the bag slouch hobo-style also is a plus as it doesn't look like a luggage even if full. It's light and leather quality is amazing.

Third is my Miu miu matelasse medium shopping tote. It looks structured yet soft and silky to the touch. It can hold a lot and yet still light. It has an optional straps for handsfree needs.

Hope this helps.

Thank you paparazzi bait for the suggestions!

I agree that Balenciaga is a good option if you are looking for lightweight.

You may also want to look at Longchamp. Their leather bags are very well made, sturdy, lightweight, and have great organization. I've owned many more expensive bags but find Longchamp to be pretty unbeatable as far as workhorse bags go.

I like Valextra. Their bags are lightweight with just the right amount of softness and structure to be comfortable to carry yet still look professional. (my issue with Balenciaga is that the bags are too slouchy - papers get wrinkled unless they're in a sturdy file folder. That, along with the rivets and tassels, make them not quite right for a conservative professional environment IMO.)

hi all..
this is my first post in tpf..been a silent reader for quite sometime..
i'm also looking for the right bag for work..something lighter since i carry a lot..
for now i'm using longchamp cuir/planetes..but it doesnt have much compartments..n being me that likes to dump everything inside, quite hard to search for my phone, keys or pen..n i dont like using bag organizer..

really need help in finding the 1 bag that fits the criteria mentioned by bucha :tup:
err..perhaps with a bit lower budget.. :P:P

thanks all..

hi all..
this is my first post in tpf..been a silent reader for quite sometime..
i'm also looking for the right bag for work..something lighter since i carry a lot..
for now i'm using longchamp cuir/planetes..but it doesnt have much compartments..n being me that likes to dump everything inside, quite hard to search for my phone, keys or pen..n i dont like using bag organizer..

really need help in finding the 1 bag that fits the criteria mentioned by bucha :tup:
err..perhaps with a bit lower budget.. :P:P

thanks all..

Welcome to tPF

Funny enough that's what I was going to recommend to the OP, my friend has one in black and I always think how great it looks

I would be interested to know too! I've hunted for a lightweight leather bag for years but never found the perfect one. I currently use a mulberry bayswater for formal work occasions, in the silky snake print and it happens to be a lighter weight leather than usual leather they use. But still once fully loaded up with documents and iPad etc, it weighs a ton!!

I've also eyed the LV speedy b in leather, but been told it's even heavier. Lately been eyeing either the YSL chyc or Loewe amazona. They seem rather lightweight. Don't know how these two would weigh when fully loaded though...

I have the same challenge (still looking for that "perfect" bag...). I am currently using an Alexander Wang 'Marti' bag in black washed leather, with some after-market strap changes. This is described by/ sold as a backpack, yet I have never worn this as a backpack. It comes with the backpack strap and a shoulder/crossbody strap - both removable. I have clipped the backpack strap on as a shoulder strap (cool padded strap with center zip that separates into two halves for backpack - yet looks way cool and is way comfortable zipped together as a shoulder strap). I have enough bags that I also have a good collection of removable straps, some clip-rings, and I often rig my own straps on my bags.

I am enjoying this bag for the tons of exterior pockets -- all with big beefy zippers. I can get to stuff while walking or on the train - yet the zips make it secure while navigating the city. It is buttery soft lambskin -- and I have treated it with several doses of waterproofing spray - but it is washed leather to begin with, so it handles rain quite well. I find myself petting the soft leather during the commute to work (train, I am not petting and driving...).

This is NOT in any way a conservative bag, though. I have moved from an academic setting (professor) to a senior level Director position in a corporate not-for-profit - I could do my thing freely when it comes to bags in both (work)places.

It is also expandable - I can carry a crapload of stuff to work, then shrink it back down for nights/weekends. It looks pretty weird in website photos -- have seen reviews (including some here on tPF) that liken it to an alien head. I have yet to see a web pic that does justice to what this bag looks like to wear. When I wear it around my city, I notice when someone looks back at it or comments to her friend "oh, that's a really cool bag". I discovered it in Neiman Marcus - would have scrolled right past it on websites. It's a lot like Givenchy Pandora that way - looks completely different in person/when worn than it does in photos or on display.

Good luck - and have fun shopping!

Last edited:
I also recommend Longchamp. The cuir (you could use a purse organizer if needed) is so lightweight and the strap is soft, not too narrow, and so comfortable to wear.

The Longchamp veau foulonne handbag is also lightweight and with a comfortable strap, and the handles are soft but sturdy. This one is a bit more structured than the cuir. My only complaint about this one is that the strap is very long (for me) and not adjustable.

Both come in black. And well under your price range but very nice quality for the price. Maybe some of their other lines would would be worth looking at also.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have gone to Holt Renfrew to compare my bags with Balenciaga and I will think about it. Next step is see the other bags you mentioned - Longchamp and the Coach especially. I didn't find Valextra's current season particularly attractive: however, I've seen their bags on Katie Holmes and they are beautiful, so I'll wait.

I also dug out my old bags and found an m0851 I really loved when I was a college student. The only reason why I am not wearing it anymore is that it is quite damaged from extensive wear. Here is a newer, similar design, with less pockets: http://www.m0851.com/shop/collections/nomads/bal-fz32-black-BALFZ321800099/
The leather is so lightweight on their bags and the design is quite stylish.
I am also eyeing this bag here from the same label: http://www.m0851.com/boutique/collections/globetrotters/sac-vertical-globe-trotteur-BALFC620700099/