Help me with my bag collection!

Dec 27, 2008
Hi lovely members,
I need a little bit of help expanding my purse "collection". So far, I have a gucci super mini dionysus, YSL baby monogram, prada cahier belt bag, patent chanel classic mini, and a LV pochette felicie mono, all in fairly neutral colors. As you can see, all my bags are tiny crossbody bags (I also have a clutch for special occasions) - and I do prefer it that way; since I'm slender and petite, proportions wise, they sit perfectly on me. Plus I don't carry much on the go (just my keys and phone) so the space they offer is also very suitable for me.
Also, since I'm a student, the price points on the mini bags in designer collections are also usually priced much more reasonably than the bigger bags, which means I can get more goodies that I love!

HOWEVER, I can't help but think (especially after browsing PF and seeing all the eye-candy) I should try to add varied sizes and shapes to my collection - but I don't know how to go about it. I know I don't want a tote bag (WAY too much space for my needs) but I do want to expand the types of bags I currently have.

For example, I do love the dionysus and I was thinking of getting the "small" size - but it's so expensive (2.5-3x the cost of the super mini), and I don't know if I should add another dionysus to my collection. One other consideration I have is I need my bags to last and not be trendy - at this point in time, I need to invest in classics that will last the test of time without looking outdated in a few years. But at the same time I've always bought what I loved (if something is really popular but I don't like it, I won't buy it just because of the hype) and as a result, I've never regretted any of my purchases. So I'm a bit scared of going out of my comfort zone now...

One thing I've tried exploring is buying bags in different colors - like olive and burgundy, but those are very hard to find at a reasonable price on the pre-loved market, since they are much rarer than the blacks and browns :sad:

I know this is a tiny bit vague, and I can provide more details if necessary, but what do you suggest for someone in my situation?? Thank you so much! Lots of love :smile:

Reactions: misstrine85
Don't add large bags just because you 'think' you should. Only add them if you will actually wear and use them. I also use almost exclusively small bags. I am also very petite and don't carry much with me. After I got out of college, I thought I should add a bigger bag to my collection only for it to sit in my closet never getting used because I always reached for my small bags. I ended up selling the couple larger bags I bought and now my only larger bags are used for travel and a laptop bag. If you actually think you will use a larger bag, then go for it.

A couple styles to check out to add some diversity. I really love my Fendi Mini By the Way bag. It is a very understated and casual style that can be carried in multiple different way (crossbody, longer shoulder, shorter shoulder, clutch). It also comes in a couple larger sizes if you want to try out the larger sizes instead of the mini. I would also suggest looking at some Chloe styles. I really love my Chloe bags. I have the mini Marcie satchel but it also now comes in a small size which isn't too big. I also really love my nano Hayley and mini Marcie saddlebag. They fit all essentials, but if you want something a bit bigger then they also come in larger sizes also. Also, love my Balenciaga mini city which also now comes in a small size. This bag looks especially great with the metal edge hardware or the blackout version which has no hardware. I have the mini in metal edge and the blackout in the small. So these are some suggestions that come in both minis and larger versions in case you are still interested in getting a bigger bag. And I tried suggesting bag styles that you haven't already got in your collection.

Don't add large bags just because you 'think' you should. Only add them if you will actually wear and use them. I also use almost exclusively small bags. I am also very petite and don't carry much with me. After I got out of college, I thought I should add a bigger bag to my collection only for it to sit in my closet never getting used because I always reached for my small bags. I ended up selling the couple larger bags I bought and now my only larger bags are used for travel and a laptop bag. If you actually think you will use a larger bag, then go for it.

A couple styles to check out to add some diversity. I really love my Fendi Mini By the Way bag. It is a very understated and casual style that can be carried in multiple different way (crossbody, longer shoulder, shorter shoulder, clutch). It also comes in a couple larger sizes if you want to try out the larger sizes instead of the mini. I would also suggest looking at some Chloe styles. I really love my Chloe bags. I have the mini Marcie satchel but it also now comes in a small size which isn't too big. I also really love my nano Hayley and mini Marcie saddlebag. They fit all essentials, but if you want something a bit bigger then they also come in larger sizes also. Also, love my Balenciaga mini city which also now comes in a small size. This bag looks especially great with the metal edge hardware or the blackout version which has no hardware. I have the mini in metal edge and the blackout in the small. So these are some suggestions that come in both minis and larger versions in case you are still interested in getting a bigger bag. And I tried suggesting bag styles that you haven't already got in your collection.

Thank you for the detailed reply! I am worried I won't get the wear out of larger bags to justify the cost so maybe a medium size is the way to go. Currently I like the LV Croisette (imo the speedy is way too overdone) but I wish it came in mono... what do you think?

I think you should go after your needs - if you use only small bags, buy small bags. If you need a bigger bag, get one. Don't buy just for the sake of it. There's no law or regulation that says you have to have a certain array of bag sizes at your disposal.
I only owned huge bags in the past, because I never used small bags. I only got my first small day bag in 2012 because that was the first time I wanted to carry one (because I didn't have to commute to work and carry a whole heap of stuff). Now I own everything from tiny to XXL and I use all sizes.
If you want do add color, you might want to look at seasonal collections and sales. Some of my friends have made amazing deals when sale shopping for cruise collections etc.

Reactions: leechiyong
Agree with the others on not buying bags because you think you ought to buy them. Buy them because you love them. 90% of my collection is tiny bags. The other 10%? They were bags I fell in love with for different reasons. These purchases occurred slowly over time.

Buy what works for you as it works for you as you can afford it.

Thank you for the detailed reply! I am worried I won't get the wear out of larger bags to justify the cost so maybe a medium size is the way to go. Currently I like the LV Croisette (imo the speedy is way too overdone) but I wish it came in mono... what do you think?
I have actually considered the Croisette in the past as it is not too big for my tastes. It is about the limit I will carry size-wise. The other LV bag I have looked at is the Saint Placide...similar size to the Croisette but no vachetta leather as it has a chain strap instead and I like the colored flap. It is a bit more expensive though. I truthfully find the Speedies too big for my liking (the nano is a bit too small). I also find the Speedy to be very overdone. I would go try on bags at different stores and see what suits you best.