Help me think about how to start out please & decide on a black bag.

GoAheadLilly

Mar 12, 2024
Hello dear forum members!!!

I am in need of some big sister (or brother) advice for my next black bag. I have *very* few bags. I am now starting my collection. This is what I have now (attached):

There’s a black Ferragamo for work; white Chloe crossbody; camel vintage Gucci hobo; the row black evening suede bag. And a floral Chloe Nile

smile.gif

What’s not pictured is a black custom Leather backpack which I use for work a lot AND…..my Valentino black glam lock which I used for *years*. Dinner, flight, party, lunch….. fancy vs athleisure. It served me so well! I sold it for a nominal amount and now I don’t have a black shoulder bag.

How would you go about building my collection? I can’t buy 10 good bags at the moment but I CAN buy 2-4. I’m really looking for style, quality… IT bags.

My first thought was that I am looking for:

1. a “replacement” for the Valentino, so a flap bag, black, with a chain. Structured. And maybe something which can be edgy, vs just elegant (eg most Hermes).What comes to mind is Chanel 2.55, Chanel classic flap small caviar, Miss Dior, Mulberry Lily..??
  2. and a beige / cream / white summer bag (eg Prada re edition small white….)

I have so many ideas of what I want. Dark cherry lady Dior…. Light pink Chanel WOC…. Vintage LV Pleaty…. Gucci Jackie vintage in velvet…. But I don’t even have the “basics”, before the fun colours…. So I am trying to focus on 1 and 2 first.

Thoughts? And any suggestions for number 1 (black one)?? ❤️

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_7885.jpeg
    IMG_7885.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Mariapia
Hello dear forum members!!!

I am in need of some big sister (or brother) advice for my next black bag. I have *very* few bags. I am now starting my collection. This is what I have now (attached):

There’s a black Ferragamo for work; white Chloe crossbody; camel vintage Gucci hobo; the row black evening suede bag. And a floral Chloe Nile

View attachment 5973699

What’s not pictured is a black custom Leather backpack which I use for work a lot AND…..my Valentino black glam lock which I used for *years*. Dinner, flight, party, lunch….. fancy vs athleisure. It served me so well! I sold it for a nominal amount and now I don’t have a black shoulder bag.

How would you go about building my collection? I can’t buy 10 good bags at the moment but I CAN buy 2-4. I’m really looking for style, quality… IT bags.

My first thought was that I am looking for:

1. a “replacement” for the Valentino, so a flap bag, black, with a chain. Structured. And maybe something which can be edgy, vs just elegant (eg most Hermes).What comes to mind is Chanel 2.55, Chanel classic flap small caviar, Miss Dior, Mulberry Lily..??
  2. and a beige / cream / white summer bag (eg Prada re edition small white….)

I have so many ideas of what I want. Dark cherry lady Dior…. Light pink Chanel WOC…. Vintage LV Pleaty…. Gucci Jackie vintage in velvet…. But I don’t even have the “basics”, before the fun colours…. So I am trying to focus on 1 and 2 first.

Thoughts? And any suggestions for number 1 (black one)?? ❤️

TIA
Love your collection. Were you tired of the Valentino? Or did you rehome it bc it was losing its luster. If so, have you thought of replacing it with same or similar? Otherwise, I would seriously try, try, try, every bag on your list IRL before buying. The black shoulder candidates you have currently on your list vary widely in style and price. For Dior bags, I would consider resale bc Dior tends not to hold value as well, and bc there is a great authenticate thread on TPF. Midnight blue or a truly dark cherry might also sub for black; I wouldn’t necessarily rule them out.

My other thought is beige cream white bags are nowadays not just for summer. It can be a pop of winter white.

I prefer to buy only one bag at a time bc if I buy two, one of them is invariably going to be somewhat ignored. My advice, with prices like they are today, only buy what you absolutely adore. I hope to see action pics of your candidates if you are so inclined.

ETA: the fashion pendulum is swinging back to larger bags, so I wouldn’t discount them. My personal favorite small bag is the original Loewe mini puzzle. In pebbled off white leather, it has survived all sorts of travel and weather, and still looks great. I also happen to adore some men’s style bags: I prefer the men’s adjustable strap saddle bag.

Love your collection. Were you tired of the Valentino? Or did you rehome it bc it was losing its luster. If so, have you thought of replacing it with same or similar? Otherwise, I would seriously try, try, try, every bag on your list IRL before buying. The black shoulder candidates you have currently on your list vary widely in style and price. For Dior bags, I would consider resale bc Dior tends not to hold value as well, and bc there is a great authenticate thread on TPF. Midnight blue or a truly dark cherry might also sub for black; I wouldn’t necessarily rule them out.

My other thought is beige cream white bags are nowadays not just for summer. It can be a pop of winter white.

I prefer to buy only one bag at a time bc if I buy two, one of them is invariably going to be somewhat ignored. My advice, with prices like they are today, only buy what you absolutely adore. I hope to see action pics of your candidates if you are so inclined.

ETA: the fashion pendulum is swinging back to larger bags, so I wouldn’t discount them. My personal favorite small bag is the original Loewe mini puzzle. In pebbled off white leather, it has survived all sorts of travel and weather, and still looks great. I also happen to adore some men’s style bags: I prefer the men’s adjustable strap saddle bag.
Very wise advice to try on the bags for size and comfort!
Go slow op, I know it's tempting to buy a lot but going slowly and seeing what you really want and fits your needs is always a good idea

My advice is also go slow. #1 to me suggests perhaps a Gucci with BHW (several options there). But I have Gucci on the brain right now. #2 I like your Prada idea (I also have Prada on the brain right now). There are a number of nice spring options from them.

Also a tip, if you're thinking "resale value" when purchasing, that means you're already planning to be tired of the bag. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a useful thing to be conscious of.

Have you considered a ysl flap bag?
This! YSL was my first thought as well. Price and quality are superb compared to many other premium designer brands.
For a structured look, check out Sunset and for bit more Chanel'y chevron style, LouLou.

Chanel is outrageously (over)priced these days and the quality isn't in line with the pricing.
Mulberry quality has sunk since 2013 so if you can find a preloved Lily pre-2013 it will last you for a long time!

Omg this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for!!!! Thank you!
I got rid of Valentino hastily because I was tired of it. But I learned my lesson - sometimes we go back to things later and miss them / love them again.
YES to one bag at a time. Sometimes with other items, I tend to rush into “I MUST fill these gaps in my closet” and then I end up rush buying things I don’t love.

Ahhhh yes to white being a winter white and dark red being more versatile than I think!!!

I am I think gearing up for my first Chanel 🥹 how about I go and try the different sizes / leathers on? My eye is set on small or medium classic flap caviar but it may not be set in stone!!!!

For Chanel, I *may* buy vintage (from Japan) but…… the point still stands I want to try them on first. Or would you not recommend vintage? I 10000% agree I want something I love and adore. Even if it means paying full price. Or waiting a bit.

My advice is also go slow. #1 to me suggests perhaps a Gucci with BHW (several options there). But I have Gucci on the brain right now. #2 I like your Prada idea (I also have Prada on the brain right now). There are a number of nice spring options from them.

Also a tip, if you're thinking "resale value" when purchasing, that means you're already planning to be tired of the bag. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a useful thing to be conscious of.
Wow that’s very interesting. I like that. I will try to look for what I wouldn’t want to let go of ever. Not just when it comes to bags 💕

And yessss I love Gucci too! Maybe a black Jackie even although not a flap……..

• Love
Reactions: 880 and bagnut1
This! YSL was my first thought as well. Price and quality are superb compared to many other premium designer brands.
For a structured look, check out Sunset and for bit more Chanel'y chevron style, LouLou.

Chanel is outrageously (over)priced these days and the quality isn't in line with the pricing.
Mulberry quality has sunk since 2013 so if you can find a preloved Lily pre-2013 it will last you for a long time!
Oh yay! Didn’t know re mulberry, yes I will look for a pre 2013 one. And agree re Chanel —> I’d go vintage I think…… saw some good ones on Amore Japanese site.

I am LOVING the sunset one!!!! The silver hardware also feels like you could dress it to look edgy vs classy……..
do you also recommend to try them all on in person?

• Love
Reactions: Amazona and 880
Oh yay! Didn’t know re mulberry, yes I will look for a pre 2013 one. And agree re Chanel —> I’d go vintage I think…… saw some good ones on Amore Japanese site.

I am LOVING the sunset one!!!! The silver hardware also feels like you could dress it to look edgy vs classy……..
do you also recommend to try them all on in person?
Vintage Chanel is always the best bet, you'll get better hardware with gold plating and also craftsmanship was better then than it is now.
Silver hardware is my jam as well, I feel like gold is so in-your-face-all-the-time that it's difficult to dress down but I think that's just me. 😄

If you have the chance to try on the bags, I strongly encourage it because not even the best modshots tell a full story. People are different sizes and shapes and you might find that a bag that looks amazing on someone else just isn't right for you. Or vice versa - you might fall in love with a bag that doesn't look so great in pictures. When you spend a lot of money on something you want to be sure you're getting something that makes your heart beat a little faster! :love:

PS. Another brand you might want to check out is Aspinal of London. Lottie has a chain strap and it comes in several colors, sizes and leathers.