Home & Garden Help me please! What can I do with my yard?

You don't mention a budget, but have you considered a Gazebo? Landlord/Property Management might not permit it, so you'd have to check. It would make a good place for a gathering, even if rainy.

A 10' x 10' unit would cover a lot of the yard, leaving less to landscape, maintain and water. You might even be able to add gutters and collect rain water from it.

I would very much appreciate suggestions on what to do with my yard. I live in a townhouse so it is not a large yard but a decent size. Some details:

- I do not have a back outside tap to water anything with a hose or sprinkler
- it faces east so does not get a lot of sun
- I had my rotting deck ripped out a year or so ago
- I had the grass (more like thistle) killed several years ago and rainbow rock put in with an area set with patio stones for a table and chairs to sit on
- I had the rock removed a couple years ago as it was impossible to get the dead leaves out of it every spring

So now I am left with a yard full of dirt with a section of patio stones and various sprigs of grass and weeds sprouting out. Ugh!

Any suggestions on what to do with this eyesore? I do not want to spend a tonne of cash on my yard.

Thanks so much! (Apologies for any typos - I had my eyes lasered recently and my vision is still blurry.)

Sounds like what I deal with every Spring/Summer so annoying! I actually had a landscaper come and place stones all over my small yard which had patches of grass when I moved into the house (it was a mess) that was a serious eyesore. He laid a tarp (think that's what its called) to help fight the weeds but they are busting thru it which is why much too often i'm out there pulling weeds. I have this on one side of my back yard and the other side concrete where my patio table sits but the weeds grow so rapid and high I can never enjoy my back yard. I also live in a townhome so I share my neighbors weeds :pout:

Bnjj, do you have a tap on the side? Is there a possibility that there is a hose bib but it is either in the ground where you cannot see it or has been stubbed out? Its really unusual that there is no water there.

Do you have raingutters? I think the first thing is to figure out how to get water out there, because a lot of things will depend on that.

Also, you say dead leaves....are there trees out there? what are they like? Do they need trimming to provide more light?

Are the patio stones flat pavers?

any chance for pictures of this future little piece of paradise?
I need a visual :P

Also, what zone are you in?
And whats your budget/comfort zone?
Lastly, do you enjoy gardening projects...or, not so much...?

I bet you'd show that yard whose boss :lol:

I bet you'd show that yard whose boss :lol:

:P:P

mow-the-lawn.gif

You don't mention a budget, but have you considered a Gazebo? Landlord/Property Management might not permit it, so you'd have to check. It would make a good place for a gathering, even if rainy.

A 10' x 10' unit would cover a lot of the yard, leaving less to landscape, maintain and water. You might even be able to add gutters and collect rain water from it.

There's nothing preventing me from doing something like that but it's not what I want to do out there. Appreciate the suggestion, though!

This weekend I have to spray all my weeds and grass that are sprouting up but I don't know if I can find an eco friendly product to do that. The yard needs to be rid of them before I can do anything.

Some people have suggested hostas to me but I hear they can take a few years to take hold. Maybe be a starting point.

Sounds like what I deal with every Spring/Summer so annoying! I actually had a landscaper come and place stones all over my small yard which had patches of grass when I moved into the house (it was a mess) that was a serious eyesore. He laid a tarp (think that's what its called) to help fight the weeds but they are busting thru it which is why much too often i'm out there pulling weeds. I have this on one side of my back yard and the other side concrete where my patio table sits but the weeds grow so rapid and high I can never enjoy my back yard. I also live in a townhome so I share my neighbors weeds :pout:

And all this time I had no idea we were neighbours!!!

Sounds very much like when I had the rock put into my yard. That didn't work out though.

There's nothing preventing me from doing something like that but it's not what I want to do out there. Appreciate the suggestion, though!

This weekend I have to spray all my weeds and grass that are sprouting up but I don't know if I can find an eco friendly product to do that. The yard needs to be rid of them before I can do anything.

Some people have suggested hostas to me but I hear they can take a few years to take hold. Maybe be a starting point.

This is a concern of mine as well, all those pesticides run off right into the ground. I haven't been using any just pulling them, blah!