Tech Help me pick out a new cell phone.

LisaG719

Living life...
O.G.
Jun 16, 2006
Hey all,

Please help me pick out a new cell phone. I currently have the T-Mobile MDA. I love the functionality of this phone but the system lag and fickleness of it drives me insane. Ever since the time change it's been acting up worse than ever. Every morning it wakes me up atleast an hour before I have my alarm set. :hysteric:

So now I am hell bent on getting a new cell phone. Please help me pick out a new one. I was thinking about getting the White Blackberry Pearl 8100 (T-Mobile BlackBerry® Pearl™- White phone details from T-Mobile). Does anyone have experience with this phone and would recommend it? Or should I go for the SideKickIII (T-Mobile Sidekick® 3 phone details from T-Mobile)?

I appreciate any help you can provide and all suggestions are welcome. The only thing is I don't want to switch carriers. TIA! :flowers:

hmmm I like both.

the blackberry is a cool phone but no cam.

the sk3 is cool also, has aim, yahoo, cam, can play music.

i guess pick the one that fits your lifestyle.

hmmm I like both.

the blackberry is a cool phone but no cam.

the sk3 is cool also, has aim, yahoo, cam, can play music.

i guess pick the one that fits your lifestyle.

The Blackberry Pearl has a 1.3 megapixel camera on it and also has AIM, Yahoo, and plays music.

That's what makes this so difficult! :sweatdrop:

Thanks for your input!!

First of all, did you go to microsoft.com and download you DST patch and do all your necessary upgrades? If so, and it's still acting wonky...how bout the Dash. I've heard great things about that. It's the same OS so you won't have to learn anything new, and there are TONS of 3rd party software (games, skins, auto weather updates, etc etc) for it (unlike the Sidekick and Pearl)

370x400.jpg

Same price as the others too. ;)

First of all, did you go to microsoft.com and download you DST patch and do all your necessary upgrades? If so, and it's still acting wonky...how bout the Dash. I've heard great things about that. It's the same OS so you won't have to learn anything new, and there are TONS of 3rd party software (games, skins, auto weather updates, etc etc) for it (unlike the Sidekick and Pearl)

370x400.jpg

:shame: Um....That would be a negative. :noggin:

Looks like I have something to take care of when I get home. :s

I still want a new cell phone though. :Push: Soooo let's not tell hubby about that little patch..k? :supacool:

I picked up the SK3 last month and love it:party: .The biggest advantage for me was I wanted to be able to have unlimited web browsing, text messaging & IMing for 1 monthly price. It is all included for $19.95 w/ the SK3 on T-Mobile and all the other multi function phones had the monthly add on fee, but also limits on the amount of time or messages you send & receive. I love it and I can take
tPF with me everywhere:yes:

I picked up the SK3 last month and love it:party: .The biggest advantage for me was I wanted to be able to have unlimited web browsing, text messaging & IMing for 1 monthly price. It is all included for $19.95 w/ the SK3 on T-Mobile and all the other multi function phones had the monthly add on fee, but also limits on the amount of time or messages you send & receive. I love it and I can take
tPF with me everywhere:yes:

I bought the package that allows me unlimited use as well except for the MDA it was about $30 dollars a month. :Push: Definitely one of the better things with the SK3. I would be saving $10 a month off my bill. :wlae:

Actually, if you or your man is anywhere remotely technologically inclined, you can buy the T-Zones plan for 5.99 a month, change a few settings on your phone (Only the Dash, MDA, SDA...not the Sidekick) and get unlimited internet. If you want to give it a shot, let me know an I'll post the link with the step by step process. Really, it's not hard at all...it's basically changing your connections settings to go through a proxy and specifying the correct proxy. Easy!

Actually, if you or your man is anywhere remotely technologically inclined, you can buy the T-Zones plan for 5.99 a month, change a few settings on your phone (Only the Dash, MDA, SDA...not the Sidekick) and get unlimited internet. If you want to give it a shot, let me know an I'll post the link with the step by step process. Really, it's not hard at all...it's basically changing your connections settings to go through a proxy and specifying the correct proxy. Easy!

so with changing those proxy thingys I can get the real internet just like I can access now? Charles you are the coolest! :supacool:

I had the MDA also and hated it, too slow and didn't really have the need to have windows on my phone. I got the sidekick 3 and I absolutely love it.

Every time something new comes out I wanted so a few weeks ago I went to T-mobile to get the blackberry pearl...and I ended up just keeping the sidekick. I just didn't want to give up the full keyboard, which you don't get with the pearl, also the websites on the the SK look 'normal' as oppossed to the pearl where you only get a crippled version that is in my opinion difficult to navigate (its just words, and they're arranged different) You can always get the phone and T-mobile has a 15 day buyers remorse policy, you can return it or exchange.

Good luck!

I had the MDA also and hated it, too slow and didn't really have the need to have windows on my phone. I got the sidekick 3 and I absolutely love it.

Every time something new comes out I wanted so a few weeks ago I went to T-mobile to get the blackberry pearl...and I ended up just keeping the sidekick. I just didn't want to give up the full keyboard, which you don't get with the pearl, also the websites on the the SK look 'normal' as oppossed to the pearl where you only get a crippled version that is in my opinion difficult to navigate (its just words, and they're arranged different) You can always get the phone and T-mobile has a 15 day buyers remorse policy, you can return it or exchange.

Good luck!

Thanks polos26: that helps immensely. I use the internet ALOT so being able to view it normally is a huge deal to me. But the White Pearl is soooo CUTE. :crybaby:

Hi there.

I have the pearl in black. It is quite different to be using keys that have 2 letters but I got used to this phone so quick. Having short nails is the way to go when using this phone. I found that I was able to type very fast and I had no trouble hitting the wrong buttons. It just takes a day or so to get used to the set up to be fully comfortable. I think this phone is gorgeous but it is quite delicate. Dropping it results in very quick scuff marks to the plastic chrome piece and you have to be careful with the screen. As for internet viewing, I don't have a problem with it. It just takes longer to scroll down to get through the page. Luckily you can make use of the 3 and 9 keys to scroll down a whole page section instead of rolling the trackball all the time. And the 1 and 1 key takes you to the top or bottom. I just think it's easier to use these keys instead of the trackball. This applies to when you view SMS and emails too.

Another poster said the internet pages look different in the pearl compared to the sk but I don't have that problem. All the graphics appear for me. I can view the purseforum quite easily and all the usual options are there. In the internet options, there is an option to view webpages in the screen or handheld version.

I just love love love this phone. But I might be biased because I never used a phone with the full qwerty keypad. Maybe that was why i adjusted very well to this phone.

And have you seen the pearl in white in real life? Initially I wanted the white but once I saw it, it didn't appeal to me. I was expecting pearl white but it was more stark white. It still was beautiful but that type of white just didn't match me. I hope you get the phone you're looking for, whether it be the sk3 or pearl.