Votes: 10 20.0%
  • YSL

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Gucci Dionysus

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters

catmdl

Apr 25, 2018
Hi all! I am looking to add a red bag to my collection to be a pop of color. I’d like it to be a timeless and elegant design I can wear for years to come and that can be dressed up or down. I’ve narrowed it down to the following four bags. I always try to find silver hardware (very hard with red), and these are all silver except the bvlgari which I just thought was stunning and which has light gold hardware. My two favorites are the bvlgari and Louis Vuitton. Would love others opinions! Which do you think is most timeless and elegant? Which is your favorite? Thank you in advance!

C10DDEB4-52A1-40A9-B228-512317C29D50.jpeg

890781D6-77AC-45C7-9B3E-10A8A92516C9.jpeg

334C43CE-786C-44FA-8A45-33201495DC9C.jpeg

40EE6645-8875-488C-BD90-AA32532CF66F.jpeg

The Bulgari is so eye-catching. I’ve seen it on someone in another color. Even at a distance, I could tell it was a QUALITY bag and couldn’t take my eyes off it. She was dressed casually and the bag elevated her entire look.

Reactions: americandreaming
Thanks all!

A bit more about my style/lifestyle: My personal style is quite dressy/classic, I work in a quite formal office and live in London (moved here from NYC). On my days off, my style is still quite classic, but with an “edgy” vibe - think lots of black, usually in a leather jacket and motorcycle boots. For luxury handbags I like to only invest in pieces that I think are timeless classics. The rest of my handbag collection consists of a black medium Chanel flap w/ SVH, black Chanel WOC w/ SVH, a Louis Vuitton speedy and neverfull both in DE, a black givenchy pandora, a black Prada saffiano tote, and a Mulberry mini zipped bayswater in oak.

A bit more about What type of bag I want: I’m not tied to these four or to buying new, so happy to go pre-loved. My budget max is about $2,500-3,000. I’m looking for something small to medium size that can go from day to night. I don’t love to baby my bags, so I tend to go for leathers/materials that are a little more carefree (think DE canvas, Chanel caviar, Prada saffiano) as I’ve always lived in cities where the weather can be a bit unpredictable. I much prefer silver hardware although this isn’t necessarily an absolute must. Crossbody strap is a must!

I’m really leaning towards the alma right now!

Hey, good to have a bit more info about you and your look etc and how you’ll likely use a bag. I think the Louis Vuitton is slightly less high maintenance than the others, and the strap handle would be more robust and comfy than the chains, as @A bottle of Red said. But the Louis Vuitton is not so strong in the night transition, which is its main weakness. The others are a bit more night, but the Bulgari could be a bit delicate and the Saint Laurent with that tassle, also potential for it to get damaged. Quite exciting to think about what bag you could get actually! (as I can’t afford one!), so I have come up with a some suggestions:

gucci red.jpgGucci Bamboo, £2600. Classic, timeless, "friendly" bag, a Gucci look through the ages, saffiano very tough, But very pricey, possibly a bit old-fashioned for your look, might not be edgy enough.
prada cahier 1.jpegprada c3.jpgPrada Cahier, £2200. Lovely and a statement, looks industructable. Timeless class. Chain, but with leather shoulder part. Will do the day and the night. However, definitely quite bling and could attract attention. A little pricey, but it's clearly had a lot of work put into it.
loewe red.jpgLoewe Puzzle Medium, £1400. Really interesting shape to me, all about the pattern and for someone who will look twice and appreciate it on its details. Practical and robust, nothing likely to get damaged. Possibly could be considered chunky and almost like a book bag, but I think it will transition to night, depends how it's styled - when you mention motorbike boots, for some reason I feel like this has good matching potential, there's something a bit like motorbike gear in those panels with the black glazing. I think this would work with a black leather jacket really nicely.
marni saf.jpgmarni saf 2.jpgMarni Trunk Medium, £1450. Really like this, quite soft and feminine design, saffiano again, so very tough, and a bit of an outlier brand which I think is cool, won't see many of these around, bought by people who really dig in fashion. Plenty of room and compartments inside.
bal red 1.jpgbal red 2.jpgBalenciaga Small Hourglass python-effect, £1450. Stunning, edgy, but not over fussy for the day, amazing night time potential, actually practical I think, has some width to it and great side profile. The red/black will let it match well with a darker wardrobe, but also light-coloured items. Might be too edgy?
Bal Hour Red.jpgBalenciaga Small Hourglass in regular, £1450. Also! In glossed leather though.

Last edited:
Hey, good to have a bit more info about you and your look etc and how you’ll likely use a bag. I think the Louis Vuitton is slightly less high maintenance than the others, and the strap handle would be more robust and comfy than the chains, as @A bottle of Red said. But the Louis Vuitton is not so strong in the night transition, which is its main weakness. The others are a bit more night, but the Bulgari could be a bit delicate and the Saint Laurent with that tassle, also potential for it to get damaged. Quite exciting to think about what bag you could get actually! (as I can’t afford one!), so I have come up with a some suggestions:

View attachment 5040847Gucci Bamboo, £2600. Classic, timeless, "friendly" bag, a Gucci look through the ages, saffiano very tough, But very pricey, possibly a bit old-fashioned for your look, might not be edgy enough.
View attachment 5040896View attachment 5040900Prada Cahier, £2200. Lovely and a statement, looks industructable. Timeless class. Chain, but with leather shoulder part. Will do the day and the night. However, definitely quite bling and could attract attention. A little pricey, but it's clearly had a lot of work put into it.
View attachment 5040852Loewe Puzzle Medium, £1400. Really interesting shape to me, all about the pattern and for someone who will look twice and appreciate it on its details. Practical and robust, nothing likely to get damaged. Possibly could be considered chunky and almost like a book bag, but I think it will transition to night, depends how it's styled - when you mention motorbike boots, for some reason I feel like this has good matching potential, there's something a bit like motorbike gear in those panels with the black glazing. I think this would work with a black leather jacket really nicely.
View attachment 5040855View attachment 5040858Marni Trunk Medium, £1450. Really like this, quite soft and feminine design, saffiano again, so very tough, and a bit of an outlier brand which I think is cool, won't see many of these around, bought by people who really dig in fashion. Plenty of room and compartments inside.
View attachment 5040853View attachment 5040854Balenciaga Small Hourglass python-effect, £1450. Stunning, edgy, but not over fussy for the day, amazing night time potential, actually practical I think, has some width to it and great side profile. The red/black will let it match well with a darker wardrobe, but also light-coloured items. Might be too edgy?
View attachment 5040950Balenciaga Small Hourglass in regular, £1450. Also! In glossed leather though.
Wow this is amazing! I have a real soft spot for Prada and I never considered the pup legal before but I’m going to give it a look now! thank you so much!!!

Wow this is amazing! I have a real soft spot for Prada and I never considered the pup legal before but I’m going to give it a look now! thank you so much!!!

Hey, you're welcome! I have a pretty good expertise in this area and it's fun to put it to use to help someone! Let us know how it goes! That Prada one is lovely, but, of course, only available in gold hardware. It's my favourite of the lot, but the Balenciaga python-effect I think is really nice too and fits the bill well, and at a slightly more manageable price point. It feels a bit much to be suggesting £2000+ bags to people!