Help me find the perfect BLACK bag!

basia123

Mar 1, 2009
My friend is in New York at the moment and I want her to buy me the 'perfect' black bag. I would really appreciate suggestions :biggrin:

This is what i'm looking for:

- classic shape that i can still wear in 5 years
- up to $2000
- good quality leather
- something i can carry on my shoulder as well as in my hand
- something i can wear everyday, dress it up or down
- nothing with logos all over it or made in China!

I love Bally bags for their quality and design, if that helps.

I was thinking maybe a MJ Stam? But i don't know how good their quality is as they have very limited range here in Australia.

Please help!

I would go for Rebecca Minkoff Morning After Bag, it is big enough to carry everything you need and yet classy to take with you in the evening. I just got one in blueish color with orange trim, and thinking of getting one in black for the winter.

I just got a Treesje Magnolia in black patent and I love it! It's shiny, black, has ruffles, and you can carry it in your hand and on your shoulder.

You know something? I never bought a Rebecca Minkoff bag but I would probably say to buy one because they seem to be made exceptionally well and if it means anything, this past June they were plastered all over Henri Bendel in NYC! That says a lot about them! I am so tempted to buy a Mini Nikki. The only thing that has stopped me is its closure. I prefer a more secure closure (spillage!). I own a YSL bag but I would still recommend the Minkoff. It is made of Italian leather right here in the good ole USA!!! - I think I just convinced myself to buy one!! :lolots:

I just checked out the Rebecca Minkoff bags and they are really nice! I'd never actually heard of the brand before! Not a big fan of the Balenciaga though. It's so hard when you can only pick one!

You know something? I never bought a Rebecca Minkoff bag but I would probably say to buy one because they seem to be made exceptionally well and if it means anything, this past June they were plastered all over Henri Bendel in NYC! That says a lot about them! I am so tempted to buy a Mini Nikki. The only thing that has stopped me is its closure. I prefer a more secure closure (spillage!). I own a YSL bag but I would still recommend the Minkoff. It is made of Italian leather right here in the good ole USA!!! - I think I just convinced myself to buy one!! :lolots:

Just FYI, not all RM bags are made in the US now. RM has outsourced a decent chunk of its production to China as well, so it's not a guarantee that you'll get an RM that's made in the US. There are ways of differentiating the styles (aside from looking for the Made in China tags), and the RM subforum has got more info on this. Also, there are actually a number of recurring QC issues with RM bags, in addition to the random ones, so I'd also definitely check out the RM QC thread for a better idea of what to expect.

Back to basia's original question, given your budget, I think I'd go with something higher end! The Balenciaga City is definitely a good idea, but since you don't like the look, the YSL Muse is another great suggestion, IMHO. The MJ Stam would also be quite classic.

For more mid-range bags, Jenny Yuen is also made in NYC (no outsourcing AFAIK) and the quality is great, with fairly classic, non-trendy styles. The Gatsby is fantastic, whilst there are smaller styles like the Sherlock and Esme that come with detachable shoulder straps and definitely fit your requirements, I think. I also quite like Treesje and Botkier for mid-range designers, but their bags are made in China and/or Indonesia. (Quality's still excellent, though.) If you're willing to consider online orders that can be shipped straight to Australia, Belen Echandia (London-based, made in Italy) and Ignes (based and made in Uruguay) offer customised bags that are great too! HTH!