Help me design my birthday/Christmas ring!

Dec 11, 2011
Hi everyone!
As you all know, Christmas is approaching quickly! And as you probably don't know, my birthday is as well :P My parents would like to custom design a ring for me as my gift, however I need some help in designing it!
I do have a platinum diamond solitaire that I wear on the ring finger of my right hand. I have attached 2 photos of it so you know what it looks like! (Please excuse my DIY manicure.)
Should I wear the new ring on the middle finger of my left hand, or should I also wear it on the ring finger of my right hand and just alternate with the diamond solitaire I have right now?
I am thinking of using rose gold as the metal... However, I have no idea how to design it so it doesn't just look like my platinum diamond solitaire... That's why I am here! Hopefully all the jewellery aficionados can share some thoughts.
Also, if I do wear it on my left hand, would it look weird with a rose gold ring on one hand and a platinum one on the other?
Please help!
Thanks in advance! :smile:

Attachments

• photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 164
  • photo 3-1.JPG
    photo 3-1.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 141
I think we would need way more information to be able to help you. There are, literally, infinite designs for a ring and it all depends on style preferences. You don't mention if its another diamond ring, or a gemstone ring, or just a gold band with some sort of design, or why you're going custom to begin with. My best advice would be to look at the catalogues of some jewelry stores online to get an idea of what you're looking for and then come back here with pictures and specific questions if you still need advice.

I think we would need way more information to be able to help you. There are, literally, infinite designs for a ring and it all depends on style preferences. You don't mention if its another diamond ring, or a gemstone ring, or just a gold band with some sort of design, or why you're going custom to begin with. My best advice would be to look at the catalogues of some jewelry stores online to get an idea of what you're looking for and then come back here with pictures and specific questions if you still need advice.

Hmmm I was thinking of another diamond solitaire with rose gold as the metal. I kind of like the princess bezel setting that I saw on Tiffany's site but I'm not sure what the side profile looks like..would you be able to see the diamond or is it completely closed?
I have only looked at Tiffany and Blue Nile so far... Not sure what else I can check out. I saw two rings from Blue Nile:
http://www.bluenile.com/ping-pong-princess-cut-diamond-14k-rose-gold-ring_23429
http://www.bluenile.com/ping-pong-cushion-cut-diamond-14k-rose-gold-ring_23428 but I don't know if they will look too similar to my RHR or not...
Thanks for the help acrowcounted !!

Since you have never designed a ring before, I would go to a professional ring designer. I went to one for my wedding ring as I couldn't find a diamond band that would go with my engagment ring.

Since you have never designed a ring before, I would go to a professional ring designer. I went to one for my wedding ring as I couldn't find a diamond band that would go with my engagment ring.

I'd go one step further - don't go custom at all. Usually custom designs are resorted to when you know EXACTLY what you are looking for and can't find it anywhere pre-made. I would broaden your search, look at department store jewelry (websites) for ideas, and get away from a solitaire diamond. I have no idea what the budget is for this but there are soooo many rings out there that would be stunning left hand middle finger rings. I wear this ring on my right hand middle finger everyday and love it. Also check out the thread "Show me your right hand" for a ton of ideas on non-engagement style rings.

Attachments

• tiffanybowring.jpg
    tiffanybowring.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 139