Help me decide: to tweed or not to tweed?

BeaC

Apr 21, 2013
Hi all, just visited the Chanel boutique and tried on this tweed mini. It would be my first tweed piece; I loved the pop of colour against my black jacket but thought I would get some opinions from you lovely people. Do you think the tweed will wear well? Do you consider this a timeless piece?

Apologies in advance for my photography skills.

659791BE-598E-4892-800F-4B99DA55162A.JPG

IMG_7042.PNG

Yes it’s timeless, yes it will wear well ….but as the owner of many tweed bags, this one does nothing for me. Chanel makes so many beautiful intricate tweeds this one strikes me as just ok.

Tweed needs some extra care but I've had mine for many years now and it still looks amazing. Chanel doesn't repeat tweed patterns (unlike colors) so if you like a tweed bag you should get it when you have a chance.

Reactions: tonialbj
That is a lovely bag! I've not got any experience with tweed but have heard it wears out more quickly than leather. I don't know how the design of this one compares to other Chanel tweeds – might be worth looking them up on the forum to compare the pattern with other tweeds from different seasons, it may change your mind about this one or confirm that it is absolutely the one for you. In terms of whether to go for tweed or leather, you may want to think about if you're planning on using the bag everyday versus on special occasions, or if you just want a bag to enjoy and you don't mind if it gets worn out in the process. I think any Chanel flap will always be timeless! It might be nice to have something that's a statement piece, a bit different from the typical leather bags, especially if this pattern is a one-off. Have you seen any other bags that you like that you may want to go for instead?

Thank you all so much for your thoughts and helping me! I decided not to go back for the bag, although it is still on my mind! A tweed bag is definitely on my wish list but I think it may be behind a grey mini, hopefully I will be able to get my hands on something soon.

Tweed does not age well but I love tweed bags! It's so iconic Chanel! I feel like if special care is taken when wearing the bag it could preserve well!
Hi there, I know this is an old thread but I am very curious to hear your detailed experience with tweed bags. I am considering a medium 19 with tight threads (dark colors - blues, blacks, and reds) and although pre-owned it's in excellent condition. No wear or tears. How often do you use yours and how do you care for them? I contacted Leather Surgeons and Gerry said that he cleans the bags and fixes other mechanical issues but they don't fix threads. I wouldn't wear it as an everyday bag, but I would wear it maybe twice a month when out and about. Would love to hear your experience.