help me decide pls.. Chanel round vanity with top handle and chain vs Dior 30 montaigne

simplycho

Dec 25, 2008
hi all! having a hard time deciding between these 2 bags (photos attached)

im early 40s and of medium build (uk10)
the dior montaigne 30 in blue oblique caught my eye as it is functional yet classy

then came the chanel vanity in caviar ghw! it just looks so cute! but its so small

my bags are usually practical, even the small ones can fit my iphone (like my constance 18)
i like my timeless pieces like Chanel Diana, 255, classic flap, GST, Lady Dior, kelly 25

so i’m worried i would get bored with the dior montaigne 30 because its just another flap bag..

but the chanel vanity, i only like it in round.. im worried i wont use it as much since it cant fit my iphone and im worried if becomes outdated😂

pls help a girl out!

Attachments

• IMG_6217.jpeg
    IMG_6217.jpeg
    11.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6218.jpeg
    IMG_6218.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 35
I have a Dior Montaigne in lizard and I LOVE IT. It feels very classic and fits all of my necessities. Very practical bag. I also live for a bag that can be doubled on shoulder, clutch or crossbody. I’ve owned round bags (not the one above) in the past and they’ve never worked for me. The Dior is more timeless imo.

thanks all!
is the blue oblique gaudy in real life? 😂 i’ve seen it on pictures but have not tried it yet
other than my book tote, this would be the only bag with blue oblique prints

Of the two, I prefer the Dior, but also not in the oblique. I know that’s not particularly helpful, but between the CD logo, and the monogram, it is a bit much for my tastes as well. I’ve seen it many times, examined it, and am not a fan. In leather, it’s a beautiful bag, though, and very classic. The Chanel is cute, but doesn’t seem particularly practical.

Reactions: averagejoe

the dior montaigne 30 in blue oblique caught my eye as it is functional yet classy

then came the chanel vanity in caviar ghw! it just looks so cute! but its so small

my bags are usually practical, even the small ones can fit my iphone (like my constance 18)
i like my timeless pieces like Chanel Diana, 255, classic flap, GST, Lady Dior, kelly 25

so i’m worried i would get bored with the dior montaigne 30 because its just another flap bag..

but the chanel vanity, i only like it in round.. im worried i wont use it as much since it cant fit my iphone and im worried if becomes outdated😂

pls help a girl out!
Neither are practical or timeless. I would skip, especially given your very legitimate concerns above

Of the two, I prefer the Dior, but also not in the oblique. I know that’s not particularly helpful, but between the CD logo, and the monogram, it is a bit much for my tastes as well. I’ve seen it many times, examined it, and am not a fan. In leather, it’s a beautiful bag, though, and very classic. The Chanel is cute, but doesn’t seem particularly practical.
thanks
that’s the dilemma i face too
there’s only black available in leather which i felt was similar to my constance in black

the micro bags seems like a no-go since there arent much chance to use

thanks
that’s the dilemma i face too
there’s only black available in leather which i felt was similar to my constance in black

the micro bags seems like a no-go since there arent much chance to use

It doesn’t seem like you’re in love with either of these bags, so I personally would hold off. While I’m not a fan of tiny bags (if my essentials don’t fit, it’s a no go for me), you should always get something that makes YOU happy. It sounds like you have an amazing collection of practical, and classic bags. If a mini bag is what brings you joy, then go with that!

pls help a girl out!
I'm also in my early 40s and I think the chanel vanity is cute haha!
1 thing I would like to point out, please do not buy a bag that's fit your phone and nothing much else - because the moment you take your phone out, the bag is almost empty. Do it a few times more it can really get on your nerves.
I personally went through 1 round clutch with chain and the cube vanity, both can fit the samsung flip but once I get the phone out, I am carrying an empty bag. Also, the opening is not the easiest so imagine doing it multiples times.
I've sold both of them and now I've learnt to put my phone in my pocket rather than to fit into a bag that can only fit that much.
Sorry can't help much here :smile:

Reactions: simplycho
I wanted to chime in with another perspective. Since your collection is already very practical, maybe get one that you just love but is not the most practical?
I actually changed my phone to a smaller one so I can "justify" getting micro/mini bags. I know we're on the Dior forum but between your choices, I'd pick the Chanel vanity. Not sure if it'd fit any of the averaged sized smartphones in the market right now but I think it is pretty and will fit all other essentials in a jiff.

Reactions: simplycho
thanks for all the different perspectives! i went ahead with the montaigne 30 🤣

then, after paying.. a lady dior in small in black caviar caught my eye on my way out😩
shall wait for new colours

still love the vanity but i have 2 phones - iphone pro max and samsung S23 which are both big😂

i’ll reconsider the vanity in future if i should change to samsung fold phone!

Reactions: papertiger

pls help a girl out!
second one