Help me decide on an everyday purse that can go from day to night!

Which purse should I get to be my go-to everyday purse for the next year?

• YSL toy puffer black with black hardware

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • YSL Lou Lou small black with black hardware

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Prada Arque in black

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

Pinkpilates

Feb 8, 2023
My current favorite bag in my collection is the YSL toy puffer in vintage blanc -- but the vintage blanc seems too delicate for daily use. I do use it regularly, but I'm worried about further wear and tear since the corners already have scuff marks.

I have narrowed down what I want to the following options:

1. black w/black hardware toy puffer -- https://www.ysl.com/en-us/toy-puffer-in-lambskin-813085673.html

2. black w/black hardware small lou lou -- https://www.ysl.com/en-us/loulou-sm...OBXF8s6DdKY1X1lK4MMaAg3MEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. prada arque -- https://www.prada.com/us/en/p/prada...VQqOcNK6bDMcbeXXLMoaAqeZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I don't baby my bags but I also try to be careful not to put them on the ground and I almost never wear denim. This will probably be my only designer bag purchase for the next year so I want to make sure I have something I love that I can use regularly. I prefer a classic style bag and live in a warm and humid climate.

My dream bag would be a classic style chanel bag mini or small with silver hardware but its not in the budget right now. Hopefully that will be my next designer purse in a year or two.

Probably not what you want to hear . . . if you truly want a Chanel Mini or Small Classic Flap, why spend $3000, give or take, on a "placeholder" bag that isn't want you really want? Wouldn't it make more sense to put that $3000 aside now and add $250 or $300 each month to your "dream bag" fund? You'd most likely have enough for a Chanel boutique-fresh Mini next fall, or a Small the following year, and you won't have wasted $3000 on a fashion bag that you'll take a big loss on if you decide to sell it.
If you wait and save for your dream bag, your patience will be rewarded.

I agree with what @MillStream said above. Get the YSL bag because you truly want it, not because it’s a temporary “solution” to a Chanel mini. I have the Chanel Boy in old medium size in black. When I got it, I was really happy thinking I’d use it a ton. No, not really. I came to realize Chanel bags aren’t my thing. I like to be carefree and casual, so Chanel doesn’t seem to be the right choice. I also have the Chanel zipped coin purse, and that’s enough for me. Ultimately, Chanel mini may be the right choice for you, but you’ll need to ask yourself - does it fit your lifestyle?

Probably not what you want to hear . . . if you truly want a Chanel Mini or Small Classic Flap, why spend $3000, give or take, on a "placeholder" bag that isn't want you really want? Wouldn't it make more sense to put that $3000 aside now and add $250 or $300 each month to your "dream bag" fund? You'd most likely have enough for a Chanel boutique-fresh Mini next fall, or a Small the following year, and you won't have wasted $3000 on a fashion bag that you'll take a big loss on if you decide to sell it.
If you wait and save for your dream bag, your patience will be rewarded.

I have considered this! I do really like YSL too. In a way it does feel like a place holder but I do really like the YSL black hardware bag look or the prada arque. They seem more edgy than chanel so in an ideal world I would have room for all of them in my collection.

By fashion bag do you mean they are trendy and not timeless pieces? Not sure what fashion bag means.

Thanks for your input!

I agree with what @MillStream said above. Get the YSL bag because you truly want it, not because it’s a temporary “solution” to a Chanel mini. I have the Chanel Boy in old medium size in black. When I got it, I was really happy thinking I’d use it a ton. No, not really. I came to realize Chanel bags aren’t my thing. I like to be carefree and casual, so Chanel doesn’t seem to be the right choice. I also have the Chanel zipped coin purse, and that’s enough for me. Ultimately, Chanel mini may be the right choice for you, but you’ll need to ask yourself - does it fit your lifestyle?
I do truly want it but it might also make it harder for me to get my holy grail chanel purse one day. This is a good point! I'm pretty carefree as well. I do like that chanel just feels like it works with so many vibes and environments.

I'm not even sure the mini would work for me because I strongly prefer a 4 grommet handbag. The small classic flap at $10k is not something I'm sure I'll be willing to pay for.

I do truly want it but it might also make it harder for me to get my holy grail chanel purse one day. This is a good point! I'm pretty carefree as well. I do like that chanel just feels like it works with so many vibes and environments.

I'm not even sure the mini would work for me because I strongly prefer a 4 grommet handbag. The small classic flap at $10k is not something I'm sure I'll be willing to pay for.
I agree the 4-grommet style is definitely more versatile (or the strap has to be adjustable) - not just Chanel, but any bags.

I wouldn’t pay $10k for a purse, but that’s just me. You may also look at the pre-loved market if you really want the Chanel mini.

Btw, keep in mind, if you prefer YSL’s black hardware, the black paint may chip after many uses. I have seen it, not saying it’ll happen for sure.

I don’t really see enough style difference if you have fewer bags and your top choice is a Chanel mini. Of course, if you love it as much, then perhaps once you get it, it will become your dream bag. If not, I’d get soneth8ng entirely different than a 4 grommet shoulder bag, like a Dior saddle or a Loewe mini puzzle. Both of those can go easily from day to night. Or some kind of clutch or WOC that you can simply toss into a day tote. . . I also feel that the resale market is softening, and pre Christmas is not the time to purchase. If one can wait, the prices seem lowest in the mid summer months.

Last edited:
I ended up ordering a YSL toy puffer in black with silver hardware.

I'm a petite 5'4 and fairly active so I find myself gravitating to small purses that can switch between crossbody and shoulder bag for comfort.

The comment about chanel and lifestyle made me rethink my wanting a chanel. I like to grab and go and not worry about swapping my bags out constantly or if something is too flashy for where I'm going.

Lastly I like the toy puffer over the small lou lou because the small lou lou almost looks too big on my frame. It looks huge crossbody and when it's shoulder strap I think it still looks too big and feels like a tote bag!

I ended up ordering a YSL toy puffer in black with silver hardware.

I'm a petite 5'4 and fairly active so I find myself gravitating to small purses that can switch between crossbody and shoulder bag for comfort.

The comment about chanel and lifestyle made me rethink my wanting a chanel. I like to grab and go and not worry about swapping my bags out constantly or if something is too flashy for where I'm going.

Lastly I like the toy puffer over the small lou lou because the small lou lou almost looks too big on my frame. It looks huge crossbody and when it's shoulder strap I think it still looks too big and feels like a tote bag!
Yay for getting the YSL Toy Puffer! Based on your lifestyle, I think you’ll enjoy the bag :smile:. I am petite too, and still want to buy the small Puffer bag because the leather is so soft! We’ll see lol.

Reactions: Pinkpilates