Help! I need instant-foster tips!!

Sep 25, 2008
So I have been in contact with the Turkish rescue organization helping the puppy in the other thread. When they heard I was in Canada they asked if I could foster. I said yes. On Sunday, 2 puppies arrive in NYC from Istanbul - one is going to his forever home in Connecticut and one will be coming to me here in Montreal. It will be one of these 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj8_3DvuBOk&list=UUjISfp5zGQYW3R4HpTs2iTw&index=22&feature=plcp - the only survivors of a litter of 9 (their mom died, too), they have recovered from parvo and are now healthy little pups.

So, any tips? I have 2 dogs already, they both love other dogs. I need to go tomorrow and get puppy a leash, collar, his own bowl, some chew toys etc. etc. I'm excited but a little nervous, it's been awhile since I had a puppy, so I'm going to need to get into that puppy rhythm again of going outside every 1-2 hours etc.

What sweet little faces.

What does the youtube description about "shelter from hell" mean?

That is a long way for those little babies to travel.

You're going to foster but how will the puppy eventually be adopted if these guys are out of Turkey?

Haze is one of the three puppies who survived parvo - all are healthy now and doing well. If you were asking about the puppy found at the garbage dump, Vania, he spent a couple of nights at the vet's and has gone to a foster home to recuperate. The vet is optimistic that he will make it now.

Re: this organization being in Turkey - this specific branch of it is, but there are LetsAdopt! chapters all over the world, including Canada. Another person in Montreal is fostering a dog for them, and a number of their dogs have been adopted to the US and Canada. There is a network in existence here and in the US that works with the shelter in Turkey. They (the shelter in Turkey) also work with rescue groups in Nashville to save dogs from the gas chamber there and find them new homes in the US/Canada.

'The shelter from hell' is one of the local Turkish 'shelters' - basically somewhere stray dogs are dumped and not fed or cared for. Many die of starvation and hypothermia - these little puppies are the survivor of a litter of 9.

LetsAdopt! has a Youtube link with a lot of info about their work and rescues. https://www.youtube.com/user/LetsAdopt?feature=watch