Help! I hate the color I just dyed my hair

meganfm

O.G.
Oct 14, 2008
I don't know what to do....

My hair is naturally medium-brown, for years I colored it this very deep plum color and loved it. But for the past 2 years, I've had it a very light reddish brown. But the other day I went to my usual salon and asked to have it dark, without red, just for a change.

And I absolutely hate it. Everyone else likes it, and I admit my stylist did put some lighter pieces in it, but I feel like it's so bland and dark without a lot to it.

I can't afford another $200 to get it fixed. I thought about trying to use one of the boxed hair colors, but I'm not sure it will be strong enough to make any change to the professional dark dye.

Do any of you have any suggestions? I know my stylist won't fix it for cheaper/for free since *I* was the one who asked for this-so it's not her fault. But I can't wait 4mo to color my hair again!

go grab a box that has the reddish/purple-ish tint that you like and give it a shot. if you want to just waste away the $200 that you spent.

or

maybe you can back to your hair stylist and have her do some foils with other color. i think some salons just charge per foil if that's all that requested. just call them and say "i know this is my fault because it was my choice.. but i hate the color.. is there an inexpensive way to maybe make it more to my liking?"

^Thanks for your advice! It's a little embarrassing because my stylist in my best friend's mom, and she often teases me (but also gets a bit annoyed) because I never know what I want, but I don't like a lot of change. I guess old habits die hard! I try for a change and look where it gets me :P

If you are close with your stylist, I would just tell her you absolutely hate it, and that you would like her to tweak it a little, but that you can't afford XXX and see if she will work with you.

If you want to lighten it, you can try using some harsh shampoos, like Prell, or even Dawn dishwashing soap, which should strip some of the color out. You could also try layering over it with a temporary color like Clairol Natural Instincts or something like that, in a red tone to give it some depth. The only thing that concerns me is that you mention your stylist did put in some lighter pieces, which might not look so hot if you tried that.

Otherwise I'd try using some red-depositing products to add a little bit of interest to it. Aveda makes a nice red-care line, and even Sally Beauty Supply has some good products as well.

ITA!! A couple of times I've changed my color a bit and it is always such a dramatic change that it almost shocks your system, and takes a few days of getting accustomed to it. A couple of months ago I decided to color my light auburn hair about the shade of Emily Blunt's in "The Devil Wears Prada." It was seriously red, and at first I was like: :wtf: But after a couple of days of normal washing/slight fade, and getting used to it, I absolutely loved it.

Maybe if everyone else likes it, they're onto something!

ITA!! A couple of times I've changed my color a bit and it is always such a dramatic change that it almost shocks your system, and takes a few days of getting accustomed to it. A couple of months ago I decided to color my light auburn hair about the shade of Emily Blunt's in "The Devil Wears Prada." It was seriously red, and at first I was like: :wtf: But after a couple of days of normal washing/slight fade, and getting used to it, I absolutely loved it.

Maybe if everyone else likes it, they're onto something!

Yeah I'm also thinking I just need to get used to it, because most people DO like it on me. I thought about coloring over it myself, but with the lighter highlights I doubt it will turn out well :S I thought about going back and asking her to fix it, but I *did* ask for it like this, plus I already get a substantial "family" discount so I'd feel bad asking her to do more when she already did me a favor by doing it much cheaper than her regular rate.

My friend also suggested using those hot oil treatments-so I think I'm going to pick those up anyways because my hair is quite damaged from the coloring, and it could use some serious conditioning.

Dark hair is always hard to redye. I have jetblack hair and have often contemplated to color my hair, but it would do more damage then good. i reccommend finding a shampoo wash, which will actually tint your hair and be semi permanent- which lasts up to 6 months. :idea: Best of luck - i'm sure you'll look beautiful regardless of the outcome!