HELP!!! How to care for patent leather?

I know patent leather is hard to take care of but I couldn't resist the beauty of it. I got the YSL patent wallet from last season earlier this year and am too careless about it. I got a really tiny pen mark and some reddish color from my LV purse on it. Can you please share your tips on how to care for patent leather or direct to another post/thread on the topic (I tried doing a search but couldn't find much info about it). THANK YOU!!!

I know patent leather is hard to take care of but I couldn't resist the beauty of it. I got the YSL patent wallet from last season earlier this year and am too careless about it. I got a really tiny pen mark and some reddish color from my LV purse on it. Can you please share your tips on how to care for patent leather or direct to another post/thread on the topic (I tried doing a search but couldn't find much info about it). THANK YOU!!!
I had the same problem with getting ink on my cream patent leather bag too. I did some research and found that if the ink stain is relatively fresh I was able to remove some of it with petroleum jelly. I didn't want to go over board with using this method so I only got about 20% of it off. Good luck to you though!

I once had a cobbler tell me that furniture polish is good to clean patent leather. Of course he was referring to shoes so don't know if I would chance it on a prized possession.

(I am resposting this- as I asked this question twice....)

Okay Purse Forum enthusiastists! I actually solved my own problem with the removal of adhesive residue from my Marc Jacobs patent leather wallet. I read and read and finally found something that sounded reasonable: Windex! While it worked for me (and I rubbed and rubbed), I still would like to know if it has worked for others? It didn't destroy the finish, and took all the ugly sticky off with no consequences. Yay! Good luck with cleaning patent leather- it is a pain! :smile:

You can use nail polish remover to remove a fresh stain (like an ink mark). However the nail polish remover eats through the plastic film on the patent leather so please be careful and use very small amounts on a tip of a cotton bud. Then wipe with wet cloth. If you destroy the plastic film, the affected area will start cracking later on.

Apart from that there is little you can do to get rid of a stain which has penetrated through the plastic. Unfortunately, patent leather absorbs color from whatever it comes in contact with, like jeans, so be very careful with pale colored patent leather.

I find wet wipes designed to take makeup off, especially those for removing eye makeup, are gentle yet effective at removing stains and sticky stuff.

I normally use one finger with the wipe and work at the patiently. Sometimes additional toner may be needed. Anyway, I find that makeup removing stuff are effective at removing most (if not all) of the stains, so it's definitely worth a try :smile:

hairspray is magical for removing ink, but it is a solvent, so I'd test a hidden spot to be sure it doesn't damage the finish. I'd put it on a Qtip and wipe immediately with a clean soft cloth.

Hi all,

I joined this forum to ask a question very similar to this so I thought I'd just ask my question as a follow-up rather than start a new thread (which I'm sure would be exactly identical to past threads!).

Attached are pictures of my favorite handbag. The company that makes this bag is called Arcadia. In my area, I see these bags around a lot but I've never seen them for sale in a national department store so I'm not sure how familiar they are to most people, the company's website is: http://shop.arcadiabags.it/ if anyone is curious. I bought this bag for no more than $120 at a TJ Maxx "Runway" store a couple of years ago. It's been a lesson learned about properly storing and cleaning my bags because, though I now have some bags that are more "high end" than this one, this is still my favorite bag. I've used it a lot and, as such, have never properly put it away aaaaaaand it shows. I've actually taken to checking ebay to see whether this exact bag (or one very similar) ever goes up for sale because, unfortunately, this one is more or less ruined. I do still use it but the marks on it are pretty obvious so it kind of defeats the purpose of carrying an expensive-looking (if not actually expensive!) handbag. . I have no idea what they are all from! I guess it's one of the drawbacks of a cream-colored patent bag. At this point, I'm about to stick it in a garment bag only to bring it back out when science discovers a cure for marks like this (they're honestly more like stains) in patent leather.

Things I have used to try to remove the marks/scuffs/stain from the bag include: nail polish remover and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Is there anything else I can try? Also: would a leather care expert be able to help me out at all? I live in an area where there is probably someone who specializes in cleaning and/or restoring handbags, does anyone think that would be worth it?

Any and all tips would be appreciated! Thanks!!! :smile:

101612145826.jpg

101612153039.jpg

101612145833.jpg

101612145844.jpg