HELP!!! How do you buy Louis in Europe and bring it back to US?

HELLLLP!!!
Does anyone know how you buy in Europe and bring back to US?
Is Louis cheaper in Europe?
How do you travel and where do you leave your purchases in the hotel room?
Is it safe to buy them and leave it in the hotel?
How much is the tax?
How do you bring them back to US? Is there any import taxes?
Do you have to declare each and every item on paper when you enter the US?
How much are you allowed to bring back?
Any advice is greatly appreciated as I would like to go to Europe-especially Paris to do some shopping!!!

THANKS!!!

Yes...it has been cheaper to buy LV in Europe...sans England for quite awhile. It is best if you are traveling with someone you can count as a family member and if it is your only big purchase. If there are two of you, you can combine Vat free purchases for up to $1600 if I am remembering correctly. Its basically $800 duty free for each member of the family. That means, if you purchase a $800 bag at LV in Europe, you can get your tax back, and the price is already about 12% less, or more depending on the dollar. It adds up to a nice chunk of savings, and a great souvenir. High price purchases are more tricky. The US will charge for anything over $800 per person. Keep that in mind.

You need to ask LV or any store you are shopping at for a VAT back/duty free receipt. They will most likely ask for you Passport number to fill out this form.

When you leave Europe, you will need to pack anything you want a tax back in your carry-on because some airports might require you to show the goods.

You will need to locate a Duty Free exchange location at the airport you leave from or the largest city you are in. You DO NOT have to wait until you get to the airport to do this. If you have the right paperwork, you can get your tax back before you leave for the airport. You can ask the store if it is a early declare form. In my opinion, it is best to have the VAT put back on the card you purchased with.

You may need someone at customs to stamp your store receipt, and then you will have to stop at the designated VAT back location at the airport to get your money back. The airport is easiest...and it should be at the airport you are heading BACK to the US from. Ask the LV store you are purchasing from. They deal with VAT back all the time.

My aunt bought my Retiro for me in Spain last Spring and she said the process was quite easy. She had the bag and the receipt ready at the airport and they credited her credit card for the VAT soon after her return. I saved over $800 when you figure what I would have paid in the US with tax vs. what I paid after VAT refund. Prices in Europe have since gone up though so my savings now wouldn't be as high.

And I usually start using my items as soon as I buy them. It makes the vacation more special. I take a basic black backpack rolled up in my luggage, and keep my nicer purchases in there while I am out. No one thinks to look in an old, black bag. I have never had a problem doing this...even in Northern Africa.

We go abroad every year and I always get luxury items because its such a good deal. Last year we went to Italy and I got a Prada bag and an Hermes cuff. Saved SOOO much money and have lovely memories and photos using both!!

HELLLLP!!!
Does anyone know how you buy in Europe and bring back to US?
Is Louis cheaper in Europe?
How do you travel and where do you leave your purchases in the hotel room?
Is it safe to buy them and leave it in the hotel?
How much is the tax?
How do you bring them back to US? Is there any import taxes?
Do you have to declare each and every item on paper when you enter the US?
How much are you allowed to bring back?
Any advice is greatly appreciated as I would like to go to Europe-especially Paris to do some shopping!!!

THANKS!!!

This past year, I've been to Paris and to London. I picked up several items each time because it was significantly cheaper.

If you visit their websites, the price you see is the price you pay - tax (~20%) is included. If you spend more than €175 in France or £30 in the UK, you qualify for a VAT refund. To claim a VAT refund, you have to ask the sales associate at the time of purchase for a VAT refund form. For Louis Vuitton, you can bring a copy of your passport. For Chanel, you need your actual passport because they scan it.

If you opt for a refund back to your credit card, the refund is 12%. If you opt for a cash refund at the airport, the refund is 10%. Some people prefer the cash refund because they don't have to worry about waiting for a refund. Keep in mind, getting a cash refund takes longer.

At the hotel, I either lock my purchases in the safe or in my luggage. I always bring small luggage locks for safety.

When you pack your items, pack them in your carry-on. A customs agent may ask to see them. The items need to be new.

If you depart from Charles de Gaulle airport, you can use a PABLO kiosk to obtain your customs stamp. It's quick and easy. After that, if you're getting a credit card refund, all you need to do is deposit the form into the appropriate box near the PABLO kiosks. They have a box for Premier Tax Free and a box for Global Blue.

If you depart from Heathrow, you have to wait in line for a customs agent at Travelex. They do everything - stamp your form and process your credit card refund. You'll receive it within five business days.

Extra tidbit: If you depart from Heathrow Terminal 5, there's a duty-free Louis Vuitton! You save an average of 17% off the retail price.

You can bring back $800 worth of stuff without paying import tax. After $800, you pay an import tax of 2%.

This past year, I've been to Paris and to London. I picked up several items each time because it was significantly cheaper.

If you visit their websites, the price you see is the price you pay - tax (~20%) is included. If you spend more than €175 in France or £30 in the UK, you qualify for a VAT refund. To claim a VAT refund, you have to ask the sales associate at the time of purchase for a VAT refund form. For Louis Vuitton, you can bring a copy of your passport. For Chanel, you need your actual passport because they scan it.

If you opt for a refund back to your credit card, the refund is 12%. If you opt for a cash refund at the airport, the refund is 10%. Some people prefer the cash refund because they don't have to worry about waiting for a refund. Keep in mind, getting a cash refund takes longer.

At the hotel, I either lock my purchases in the safe or in my luggage. I always bring small luggage locks for safety.

When you pack your items, pack them in your carry-on. A customs agent may ask to see them. The items need to be new.

If you depart from Charles de Gaulle airport, you can use a PABLO kiosk to obtain your customs stamp. It's quick and easy. After that, if you're getting a credit card refund, all you need to do is deposit the form into the appropriate box near the PABLO kiosks. They have a box for Premier Tax Free and a box for Global Blue.

If you depart from Heathrow, you have to wait in line for a customs agent at Travelex. They do everything - stamp your form and process your credit card refund. You'll receive it within five business days.

Extra tidbit: If you depart from Heathrow Terminal 5, there's a duty-free Louis Vuitton! You save an average of 17% off the retail price.

You can bring back $800 worth of stuff without paying import tax. After $800, you pay an import tax of 2%.

This advice is excellent. Everyone traveling for the first time should read this! ⬆️
I would simply add to clarify that the reason you save
more at the duty free store in T5 at Heathrow is because it's a direct tax free purchase. When you do the VAT refund paperwork, the company that processes the claim takes a small cut of the refund.

And again, any luxury store employee is well used to this process. We do it many times per day.

I might get this wrong but I thought you had to show the item purchased before you enter security. Can't you then check the bag with your other things or carry it as your own bag after this point?

If you want to keep the box that's a whole other story. I've packed the box with clothing items in my suitcase so it fits but you have to have a big enough bag to take it. Of course you could try to get a box from your local Louis Vuitton store.

I might get this wrong but I thought you had to show the item purchased before you enter security. Can't you then check the bag with your other things or carry it as your own bag after this point?

If you want to keep the box that's a whole other story. I've packed the box with clothing items in my suitcase so it fits but you have to have a big enough bag to take it. Of course you could try to get a box from your local Louis Vuitton store.

I believe there are customs agents before and after security. For some items, you need to go to the customs agents after security. If all you have are bags and SLGs, then, yes, you're correct!

For a sense of security, I always pack my items in my carry-on, though. I've had a laptop go missing that got checked (it was my laptop, but my sister's doing).

If you visit their websites, the price you see is the price you pay - tax (~20%) is included. If you spend more than 175 in France or £30 in the UK, you qualify for a VAT refund. To claim a VAT refund, you have to ask the sales associate at the time of purchase for a VAT refund form. For Louis Vuitton, you can bring a copy of your passport. For Chanel, you need your actual passport because they scan it.

Is it really you only have to pay 2% for the import tax?

Reactions: blushnbellinlvoe
Is it really you only have to pay 2% for the import tax?
You do pay tax on the residual amount above the allowance. The exact rate depends on the item and the manufacturing country of origin. Some countries also have a ban on some exotic leathers etc, so it is best to double check beforehand. Your country’s border and customs website should have a compressive list and some might even have an online calculator to help you estimate.