HELP!! Can't get meds in my cat

Sep 12, 2008
mable_new.jpg
This is my little cat Mable and she refuses to let me give her a flea treatment on the back of her neck and she won't let me give her pills. When I do catch her (which isn't very often) she goes crazy in my arms and wiggles free. She's very muscular despite her small build and always gets away from me.

Any thoughts on how I can calm her down to give her meds? I've tried putting a crushed up pill in her wet food and she refuses to eat the food.

View attachment 4184709
This is my little cat Mable and she refuses to let me give her a flea treatment on the back of her neck and she won't let me give her pills. When I do catch her (which isn't very often) she goes crazy in my arms and wiggles free. She's very muscular despite her small build and always gets away from me.

Any thoughts on how I can calm her down to give her meds? I've tried putting a crushed up pill in her wet food and she refuses to eat the food.
try a pet pill shooter for the pills. the flea meds are a little more tricky, can you handle her at all? maybe try sneaking the flea treatment on when she's eating? or try using a flea collar.

If you can get a hold of her try and get her from the back and bring your fingers around to get the jaw open. Hope that makes sense. If you try coming at her from the front, she is going to go nuts and when you come around the back you also have more control over where she can go because she can't wiggle out backwards. Also important is that once you get her to take the pill, you have to keep her jaw clamped shut and stroke her under her chin to encourage swallowing. I have had cats that foam at the mouth like the are rabid when I try to pill them. I wish you the best. It's certainly tough! Most important, be authoritative (but gentle.) If the cat senses you are nervous or hesitant they will get the best of you every time.

Reactions: b_illy
We had a cat that needed thyroid medicine twice a day. Usually he was pretty good about taking it (we basically did what Goodfrtune suggested). Sometimes we had to use a little pill device that we got from Dr foster and smith on line. You put the pill in the end and place it in their mouth as close the to the back of their throat as you can, and then push the pill out. Usually it gets so far back they have to swallow. Also make sure you see her swallow. Our cat was a champ at cheeking them and then spitting them behind the couch.

Reactions: b_illy
If you can get a hold of her try and get her from the back and bring your fingers around to get the jaw open. Hope that makes sense. If you try coming at her from the front, she is going to go nuts and when you come around the back you also have more control over where she can go because she can't wiggle out backwards. Also important is that once you get her to take the pill, you have to keep her jaw clamped shut and stroke her under her chin to encourage swallowing. I have had cats that foam at the mouth like the are rabid when I try to pill them. I wish you the best. It's certainly tough! Most important, be authoritative (but gentle.) If the cat senses you are nervous or hesitant they will get the best of you every time.
We had a cat that needed thyroid medicine twice a day. Usually he was pretty good about taking it (we basically did what Goodfrtune suggested). Sometimes we had to use a little pill device that we got from Dr foster and smith on line. You put the pill in the end and place it in their mouth as close the to the back of their throat as you can, and then push the pill out. Usually it gets so far back they have to swallow. Also make sure you see her swallow. Our cat was a champ at cheeking them and then spitting them behind the couch.
I agree with this method..it has proven effective for me in the past. I would also get these Greenies pill pockets for cats, which is basically a soft treat with an indent for the pill. I find taking just half of one of those pill pockets and smooshing it around the pill, then as mentioned come from behind, and try to squeeze both sides of the jaw (just where the teeth end and the jaw hinges) as this will help to get her mouth open. Shove that wrapped pill down the back of the throat as fast and far as you can, then hold her mouth shut (but be careful not to press down on her nose or throat too hard so she can still breathe). Then keep your fingers crossed that it got down and it's staying down, otherwise retreat and repeat later !

Stay as calm as you can.. the more nervous she senses you are the more she will be too. When you do it, do it with conviction.

Sorry if this was too much rambling, but hope it helps!

For the back of neck flea treatment it should be a bit easier. When she's her affectionate and relaxed self, and laying upright on her stomach u can go to pet her and just sort of pin her down firmly as you hold the scruff of her neck in a secure but comfortable grip.. cats tend to squirm less like this, I think because when they were kittens their moms would carry them like that and they would just sort of curl up and not move while being carried, so it's like a reflex.. while you're holding her down with one hand, this is your chance to squirt that treatment behind her neck.

Good luck!

Thank you all so much for your advise!!!!

I have tried EVERYTHING that you have suggested over the past year and this little girl will NOT let me hold her. When I do get her in my arms she does this thrashing thing (I think of an alligator doing it's rolling thing) and gets out of my arms. Once this happens she holds a grudge with me for a few days and won't come near me.

I think this just needs to be a 2 person operation. I will catch and hold her and someone else will give her meds.

Thanks again!!!

I feel your frustration. This may well be a 2 person job.

One of our cats (Houdini) was/is impossible, even the poor vet (who had a knack) gave up on pills and used behind the neck alternative treatments exclaiming "life is too short". Even impossible with 2 people. And of course the problem is, we reinforce they're reasons for fear if the only time we pick them up is to do something 'nasty'. My advice is to look for any alternatives for pills and warm the lotion in the tube in your hand before breaking the seal so it's not shockingly cold. I also don't give them treats/food just before or after, otherwise I think it interferes with trust (and other times bribery is needed).

Pill popper! It makes it so much easier. You can get it at a vet.
Trap the cat between your legs with the backside facing you. Squeeze the jaw and stick the pill popper deep in the mouth. Shoot the pill in. Takes practice, but it is quick once you get the hang of it.

Kneeling is the easiest to handle the cat in this position.

I feel your frustration. This may well be a 2 person job.

One of our cats (Houdini) was/is impossible, even the poor vet (who had a knack) gave up on pills and used behind the neck alternative treatments exclaiming "life is too short". Even impossible with 2 people. And of course the problem is, we reinforce they're reasons for fear if the only time we pick them up is to do something 'nasty'. My advice is to look for any alternatives for pills and warm the lotion in the tube in your hand before breaking the seal so it's not shockingly cold. I also don't give them treats/food just before or after, otherwise I think it interferes with trust (and other times bribery is needed).

I have always picked my cats up and carried them around to try to get them used to it, but this little Mable is a force to be reckoned with. I have owned cats my whole life and I've never experienced anything like this. I call her my "oddball" b/c it seems like she's on high alert all the time and only wants love and to cuddle when I'm laying in bed at night....yet if I move (even slowly) she spazzes and takes off...and comes back 5 minutes later to redo the whole thing again.

She's the first Calico I've ever owned and has the weirdest personality (territorial of me, fight instigator, sneaky, etc). I know all cat's have their own personalities, but this one is just ODD. I feel like I should start a thread on Calico cat advice.

Reactions: papertiger
I have always picked my cats up and carried them around to try to get them used to it, but this little Mable is a force to be reckoned with. I have owned cats my whole life and I've never experienced anything like this. I call her my "oddball" b/c it seems like she's on high alert all the time and only wants love and to cuddle when I'm laying in bed at night....yet if I move (even slowly) she spazzes and takes off...and comes back 5 minutes later to redo the whole thing again.

She's the first Calico I've ever owned and has the weirdest personality (territorial of me, fight instigator, sneaky, etc). I know all cat's have their own personalities, but this one is just ODD. I feel like I should start a thread on Calico cat advice.

Ha ha, she sounds like Houdini used to be but he has calmed down (he is now 7). When we moved he decided to go on hunger strike and hide in a rolled up carpet for 3 days, inconsolable. Now he comes on holiday with us and has 2 houses.

You could, although I have 2 tabbies from the same littler and they are 'chalk and cheese', even their stripes go i opposite direction :biggrin:.

Pill popper! It makes it so much easier. You can get it at a vet.
Trap the cat between your legs with the backside facing you. Squeeze the jaw and stick the pill popper deep in the mouth. Shoot the pill in. Takes practice, but it is quick once you get the hang of it.

Kneeling is the easiest to handle the cat in this position.

Thank you, but when I get her between my legs I will reach for pill, flea meds, etc and she does her wiggle/thrashing and gets free. I squeeze with my legs really tight and she uses the first sign of me letting up to make her escape.

This little 5 lb cat has me up in arms!! I have a 20 lb cat who also puts up a fight with me when getting meds, yet I win every time with him.
*banging my head on my desk*

we had a cat like that
he would want to scratch or bite if you tried to force him to do anything including the flea treatment on the neck
For a while we would place him on a slippery surface where he couldn't get traction. DH would hold him and I'd apply the treatment. But he was so difficult that DH didn't want to do it anymore. So I would just wait until he was very relaxed -kinda sleeping and sneak up on him. Sometimes he'd be too quick for me but eventually I'd get it.

For pills - forget it. I'd put them in food and it might work the first time but then he'd be on to me and would not eat it. One time I mashed the pills in Laxatone - hair ball treatment - which he loved. After a while he hated that. But I could smear it on his chin and he'd pretty much have to lick it off.

This cat had some personality. He was fun and active but he had a mind of his own. The vet I used to go to had "biter" on his chart

GL

Reactions: papertiger
we had a cat like that
he would want to scratch or bite if you tried to force him to do anything including the flea treatment on the neck
For a while we would place him on a slippery surface where he couldn't get traction. DH would hold him and I'd apply the treatment. But he was so difficult that DH didn't want to do it anymore. So I would just wait until he was very relaxed -kinda sleeping and sneak up on him. Sometimes he'd be too quick for me but eventually I'd get it.

For pills - forget it. I'd put them in food and it might work the first time but then he'd be on to me and would not eat it. One time I mashed the pills in Laxatone - hair ball treatment - which he loved. After a while he hated that. But I could smear it on his chin and he'd pretty much have to lick it off.

This cat had some personality. He was fun and active but he had a mind of his own. The vet I used to go to had "biter" on his chart

GL
You feel my pain!!! :annoyed:

Her flea meds come in this week, so it's going to be an all out war between Mable and myself.