Help! Bag for first job as a corporate lawyer.

Sep 26, 2007
Hi all, I need help finding a professional bag to wear to work that would be able to carry documents, some makeup, wallet, keys, etc. Something classy, preferably black, and professional looking. Any thoughts or ideas? Also price range under $500 please. Thanks so much!!

I agree with the tpf-ers above. Coming from someone who's been there, I started out with a black coach hobo and then slowly started building up my collection. Don't bring something too flashy until you are at least more comfortable with your colleagues (you dont want to be the centre of gossip when you are new) or become more established. Mine was the dark black signature series so you couldn't see the "c" logos unless you stood super near the bag and under good lighting. Alternatively, you could look for their dark leather bags. Of course, pple who know bags know that it's branded but it's not ostentatious branded. Good luck with the bag hunt! :smile:

My advice is, wait to buy something that will be a major investment until you have been working there for a little while. That will give you a better idea of how much stuff you will be carrying home on a regular basis. You will also be able to see what kinds of bags other people have. I agree that going with a plain black tote to start with can't go wrong.

I think I would just get a Longchamp tote for now and see how people dress. This also depends on where you are in the country. I think in NYC Coach wouldn't be popular in the big firms, from what I've heard. The female associates tend to wear bigger designer names, like some of my friends wear Prada or the Fendi Spy. In DC people seem to wear Coach more often, but I prefer other brands, Prada, Gucci, or lately Belen En. Maybe a non-logo LV or a nice Chanel tote. I think you really want to see how the female associates who are a few years out are dressing. Are you going to be at a major law firm? Also, you can get a good deal on some beautiful designer bags right now. I think its important to invest in your career wardrobe.

My advice is, wait to buy something that will be a major investment until you have been working there for a little while. That will give you a better idea of how much stuff you will be carrying home on a regular basis. You will also be able to see what kinds of bags other people have. I agree that going with a plain black tote to start with can't go wrong.

ITA Excellent advice. I started out with a coach briefcase years ago and now have gravitated towards bigger handbags since I really don't carry a lot home with me at night. Some other attorneys here, however, schlep their laptops home every night (I just login remotely) so it really depends on what kind of work you are doing, how much you will be carrying home, etc.

For court, I always use a briefcase with a should strap. I just have too much to carry by the handles.

My Cole-Haan Aerin (used to be the Paige) just arrived and it would be perfect. I bought mine in raisin (brown) on ebay for 300 bucks, usually 450.

I think the MBMJ Delancey is huge, i.e., too big for a corporate lawyer's tote.