Help and Beware of Discolorization of Vernis

oh my god! how aweful :sad:.. vernis is so sooo delicate... i sold my bedford for almost same reason and the stains from my dark jeans left a mark on it....try to go to LV store...

So sorry to hear that!!

I have a Vernis Ludlow wallet in white and I carried it in my little gucci bag with fucshia trim, and the fuchsia color got onto the edges of the wallet. So I guess discoloration is pretty common in this type of leather. Hope everything will work out for you.

The polyurethane coating is a little like coated varnish - so you can see where it would pick up other colors, newsprint, etc. and why storing too tightly might cause it to become moist or even to mildew, if that makes sense.

i think its so sad too as i really want some of the light coloured vernis pieces, but i guess i'll have to rethink that now. i do think its quite slack that such discolouration happens due to no fault of your own and little wear..
LV should atleast issue warnings (not going to happen, i know =))
or when you bought it did they tell you not to keep it in the dust bag?
does it come with a special care instructions booklet to prevent disc?
if not i think they should start this!

LV said they advise all customers when they buy Vernis now and there is instructions provided on how to maintain it. But when I bought it in Paris, the LV shop there never said anything about it. I have spoken to their customer service a couple of times and they will get back to me in a couple of days. I will keep you all posted on the progress (if you are interested).

Reactions: 3kidsmakes5
LV said they advise all customers when they buy Vernis now and there is instructions provided on how to maintain it. But when I bought it in Paris, the LV shop there never said anything about it. I have spoken to their customer service a couple of times and they will get back to me in a couple of days. I will keep you all posted on the progress (if you are interested).

Wow - That's terrible - they should have given you full instructions. I know about year ago, I was looking at a Marshmallow item and my SA warned me against it due to color transfer. I'm SO sorry that they didn't warn you!

Keep us posted!

I have several bronze vernis pieces, and I think the darler colors show less color transfer. I don't really baby my bags, and yet, I've never seen any problems with my vernis pieces.
The lighter colors are beautiful, and I've considered them, but I will be hesitant now.
It's too bad really.:sad:
I'd be interested to hear about care options when you find out challenger. Thanks!

I have several bronze vernis pieces, and I think the darler colors show less color transfer. I don't really baby my bags, and yet, I've never seen any problems with my vernis pieces.
The lighter colors are beautiful, and I've considered them, but I will be hesitant now.
It's too bad really.:sad:
I'd be interested to hear about care options when you find out challenger. Thanks!
I agree I think the darker vernis colours are a safer bet and lighter ones are higher maintenance. I have a red vernis cles which is new and there have been no problems so far. Your poor bag...you must be so upset.

I just checked my vernis pieces and didn't find any discoloration and I haven't used it for quite a while now, ( just realize its been over a year). But from now on I'm going to take my vernis out then to let it "breath" every now and then just in case. Now I'm even more hesitant to get the light colors event though they are so beautiful. It is just too much hassle and I don't like to be babying my bags all the time. I will be sticking with the darker pieces, that's for sure.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you, challenger. Please keep us posted.

I thought that the discolourization would only occur if you expose it to direct sunlight for a prolonged period. I think we have to think hard and twice before spending on Vernis. Does anyone know if patent leather bags from other brands such as Dior, Chanel, Gucci, etc. have the same problem or it is just LVs ?