Help and Advice Please :) 17S Chanel So Black Hardware Problems.

Hiraeth

Jun 1, 2017
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read about my problem. A few months ago I bought the 17S So Black Mini Square in Crumpled Calfskin and I have only worn it out once. However, after looking closely last night (perhaps I should not have) I can see there are so many flaws on the so black hardware - in particular, the chain meets the grommets. As I have zero knowledge about these things I have attached a few photos and circled around the flawed area, I cannot even tell if it is tarnish/chipping off/rust etc/wear and tear. For other owners of 17S So Black flap bags, do you have the same experience as well? If so what preventative measures or actions can I take to stop it worsening.

And for everyone still reading: thank you, I appreciate any input you may have whether you think this is inevitable (after one use even) or that my bag not up to quality and I should contact Chanel for their response.

Thank you :smile:!

Attachments

• IMG_9810.jpg
    IMG_9810.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 2,611
  • IMG_9823.jpg
    IMG_9823.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 2,706
  • IMG_9827.JPG
    IMG_9827.JPG
    573.2 KB · Views: 2,610
  • IMG_9828.JPG
    IMG_9828.JPG
    540.9 KB · Views: 2,708
  • IMG_9834.jpg
    IMG_9834.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 2,588
  • IMG_9836.jpg
    IMG_9836.jpg
    685.9 KB · Views: 2,593
  • IMG_9837.jpg
    IMG_9837.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 2,594
I'm guessing it's chipping from the rubbing of the chains against the grommets. There has been similar issues in the past with the so black hardware unfortunately. I thought they may have addressed it by this collection.

Reactions: Sharifshopping
I have a crumpled calf reissue. I've had the same problem on my hardware. It chips to reveal a copper colored hardware underneath. I had mine repaired but it came back chipped in a couple spots too. It took about 2 months from sending out to getting it back. You can send it back before the 1 year warranty is up. I plan to enjoy the bag and just know I will need to send it in for repair eventually. Good luck!

I had the so black mini rectangular
sadly, the stitching was bad and I sent it back for return because I was so upset by it. I regret that immensely. Meaning I wish I had just had it repaired. If you love the bag as much, send it in to be repaired. I'm sorry this has happened to you. It's unfortunate that these bags have had issues. They are so beautiful.

I'm guessing it's chipping from the rubbing of the chains against the grommets. There has been similar issues in the past with the so black hardware unfortunately. I thought they may have addressed it by this collection.
Thank you for your explanation, it makes sense now that the problem area is any part of the chain that is in contact with grommets. I also read in another thread the earlier so black hardware were prone to chipping and that this season's so black hardware is an improvement - alas, no such luck :sad:.

I agree, it looks like chipping. This is such a shame because the black hardware is beautiful. You can send it for repair.
Thanks for your advice! Just out of interest how did you (and the other members who replied) identify it as chipping and tarnish? Sorry I am completely ignorant in this area. Also, if this were your bag would you send it for repair after one use, or are these imperfections that you just accept? Thanks again :smile:

I have a crumpled calf reissue. I've had the same problem on my hardware. It chips to reveal a copper colored hardware underneath. I had mine repaired but it came back chipped in a couple spots too. It took about 2 months from sending out to getting it back. You can send it back before the 1 year warranty is up. I plan to enjoy the bag and just know I will need to send it in for repair eventually. Good luck!
Ahh!! Thank you for your reply, I searched the forum and there was nothing related to 17S so black hardware issues. I am pretty sure I have the same problem as you and will take your advice and just enjoy the bag before sending it for repair within a year. I was wondering if you could tell me: 1) If the chipping on your bag was mainly confined only to the grommets-chain contact area, or elsewhere even to the clasp? 2) Did Chanel Repair give you any advice on how to prevent this problem from occurring in the first place. Thank you for your help and time and I will adopt your outlook in using the bag as it is :smile:

I had the so black mini rectangular
sadly, the stitching was bad and I sent it back for return because I was so upset by it. I regret that immensely. Meaning I wish I had just had it repaired. If you love the bag as much, send it in to be repaired. I'm sorry this has happened to you. It's unfortunate that these bags have had issues. They are so beautiful.
Thank you for your support and I think you should not regret returning that bag. At these prices, the last thing a bag should make you feel is sad by bad stitching. Perhaps if you got the stitching repair, you may develop a hardware problem like me! Anyway, with Chanel releasing So Black bags more frequently I know that you will find your perfect so black mini soon :smile:

Reactions: Rachel
Ahh!! Thank you for your reply, I searched the forum and there was nothing related to 17S so black hardware issues. I am pretty sure I have the same problem as you and will take your advice and just enjoy the bag before sending it for repair within a year. I was wondering if you could tell me: 1) If the chipping on your bag was mainly confined only to the grommets-chain contact area, or elsewhere even to the clasp? 2) Did Chanel Repair give you any advice on how to prevent this problem from occurring in the first place. Thank you for your help and time and I will adopt your outlook in using the bag as it is :smile:
The chipping I had was on the chain only. Not in the grommets, but I would imagine it might happen in the future. Mine is the double chain so the chains just slides through all the time when switching from double to single. I haven't gotten feedback on how to prevent it really just that they can always repair it and that it shouldn't happen with a new bag. I'm just really careful on when I slide the chain out of the bag now and how i store the bag when not in use. I think maybe over stuffing the bag can add stress to the chain near the grommets too! Good luck!

Hey OP, sorry to hear about your issues with the hardware, this must be so disappointing given that you've used your bag only once!

I have seen a few posts about issues with the black hardware from the 17S so black's, and if I recall correctly, they all seem to be problems associated with the minis only. I don't recall complaints about the hardware for the classic flaps, and so am now wondering if this was another problematic batch of minis?

Hey OP, sorry to hear about your issues with the hardware, this must be so disappointing given that you've used your bag only once!

I have seen a few posts about issues with the black hardware from the 17S so black's, and if I recall correctly, they all seem to be problems associated with the minis only. I don't recall complaints about the hardware for the classic flaps, and so am now wondering if this was another problematic batch of minis?
I have meticulously checked my so black 2017 classic medium flap and it's absolutely fine..phew! it's strange though if it is just affecting the minis?
I do hope you can enjoy your bag..the so black is just absolutely gorgeous!

Reactions: beaver232

Thanks for letting me know about the other mini owners so I feel less alone with this problem :smile: I have read some of the other threads about problems with Minis and problematic batches seem to the norm, I guess I just have to view this defect as 'wear and tear' :sad:.

I have meticulously checked my so black 2017 classic medium flap and it's absolutely fine..phew! it's strange though if it is just affecting the minis?
I do hope you can enjoy your bag..the so black is just absolutely gorgeous!
Yay! I am happy for you that you do not have this problem :smile: I will try to enjoy my bag even though I feel I need to extra careful about the chain.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read about my problem. A few months ago I bought the 17S So Black Mini Square in Crumpled Calfskin and I have only worn it out once. However, after looking closely last night (perhaps I should not have) I can see there are so many flaws on the so black hardware - in particular, the chain meets the grommets. As I have zero knowledge about these things I have attached a few photos and circled around the flawed area, I cannot even tell if it is tarnish/chipping off/rust etc/wear and tear. For other owners of 17S So Black flap bags, do you have the same experience as well? If so what preventative measures or actions can I take to stop it worsening.

And for everyone still reading: thank you, I appreciate any input you may have whether you think this is inevitable (after one use even) or that my bag not up to quality and I should contact Chanel for their response.

Thank you :smile:!

I have the same problems with my Chanel So Black le Boy bag in Old Medium!! What frustrated me the most that I have not even used the bag! It was bought in March this year in London. I only realized the chirping on the chain few days ago when I was about to use the bag!!! Eurghhh....

Sadly these chirpings appeared in different spots of the chain.

Needless to say, I went back to Chanel and complaint about the bag. Since it was already passed the 2 weeks exchange period, they could only advise me on repairs. They took the bag and suggested that I wait for their after sales/repairs department to contact me for further advice/solution.

It is a frustrating situation, however, since I love the So Black collection so much and I searched high & low for the So Black Le Boy, I am willing to forego these chirping issues.

Last edited: