Help a Chanel Newbie with some questions!

supersweet

Nov 29, 2010
Hey girls,

I wonder if you could give me some advice. I'm new to Chanel bags but am looking to buy, really like the 2.55 style with GHW, likely to buy in Hong Kong.

My BF has offered to treat me to a bag. Initially I was keen on Miu Miu but I'm not convinced the quality is all there (my poor lambskin baby) so I'm considering Chanel for design, durability and quality. Also the 2.55 is a must have.

Have been reading this forum, but have some questions...

1. What is Chanel handbag quality like? Is the leather hardwearing? Do these bags need babying? Do they last for years?

2. Which other brands are top for durability? I hear LV and Hermes are good. Any thoughts?

3. Do the 2.55 or classic styles ever go on sale? I'm looking to buy something classic that doesn't go on sale and won't date or lose value, something I can use for years and years

4. I'm particularly interested in a large (jumbo?) 2.55 GHW in black or patent black. I LOVE patent. Does the patent last better than black? Thoughts? Black + GHW? Good? Want something that looks gorgeous but can be worn with almost any outfit. Is black patent widely available in HK?

5. I've read about caviar v lambskin and caviar lasts longer. What is "caviar"? A type of leather? What do I ask the SA for?

6. Size. Is the jumbo 2.55 a decent size for everyday use? I don't want something huge, but not tiny either

7. Aftercare. Since having issues with Miu Miu leather quality I'd like to know what help/services Chanel offer if there is an issue...or maybe Chanel bags never have problems?

8. The Chanel pearl necklaces look gorgeous, but on the website it says they are 'glass pearls' or something. They don't use real pearls?? Roughly how much are these necklaces if they're not real pearl?

9. Flats - do they last?

Hi and welcome to the world of Chanel. I will try to answer some of your questions but there are some ladies on here who are truly experts.

1. Lambskin bags you will need to baby but not so much cavier or calfskin. A Chanel can last a lifetime if cared for properly. If you do not baby your bags cavier is your best bet. I have read that the leather quality is better in vintage bags then it is today.
2. LV is great for being durable but the hardwear turns in my opinion way to fast, I have had bags that it has started to turn after a year. I can't speak for Hermes as my pockets do not run that deep and all in all prefer the look of Chanel.
3. Classics never ever ever go on sale. Your best bet is to open a card at a department store like Bloomies and get 10%-15% off your purchases that day and buy a classic.
4. Patent is great but you have to deal with the issues of transfer or it getting "cloudy" after a while. If this is your first bag I would go with a leather bag not a patent which will involve a lot more care.
5.Cavier is just a type of leather Chanel does. It is kind of pebbles if that make sense that is the easiest way to describe it. You would just ask a SA for the bag you want in cavier. They will know what you want.
6. A jumbo is good for everyday use but it all depnds on what you carry. It would be best to go in store and see them in person so you can have a better idea of sizes and how the differnt leathers look. It is one thing to see the bags on tpf and another sometimes to see them irl.
7. Chanel does offer "spa" services if something happens to your bag. They do charge for these services. They vary but imo are not to expenseive considering you are havng a Chanel bag serviced.
8. Chanel costume jewlery is just that costume jewlery. The pearls on the necklaces are not real pearls. These necklaces start at about $1500+ it all depends on length and design.
9. I have some flats and they do still look good that being said I do not wear them everyday. Again it is all about how you care for them.

Hope this helps a bit. Check out the reference section and it will have a lot of useful info. Also use the search feature and you will find threads with a lot more info about some of the questions you asked.

Welcome to the Chanel subforum. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Hey girls,

I wonder if you could give me some advice. I'm new to Chanel bags but am looking to buy, really like the 2.55 style with GHW, likely to buy in Hong Kong.

My BF has offered to treat me to a bag. Initially I was keen on Miu Miu but I'm not convinced the quality is all there (my poor lambskin baby) so I'm considering Chanel for design, durability and quality. Also the 2.55 is a must have.

Have been reading this forum, but have some questions...

1. What is Chanel handbag quality like? Is the leather hardwearing? Do these bags need babying? Do they last for years?

I know a lot of members here have problems with the quality of more current bags and long for the quality from 4+ years ago. Personally, I haven't had any issues with quality with bags I've purchased in the last 4 years. You can search "vintage Chanel" on eBay and you will see how Chanel bags hold up. They are very sturdy.

3. Do the 2.55 or classic styles ever go on sale? I'm looking to buy something classic that doesn't go on sale and won't date or lose value, something I can use for years and years.

The classic styles in leather do not go on sale (though I've read a few people have been lucky enough to find one or two - usually those are returns and may have some quality issues). Classic styles that are introduced for a specific season in fabric (tweed, satin, denim, etc.) do go on sale.

4. I'm particularly interested in a large (jumbo?) 2.55 GHW in black or patent black. I LOVE patent. Does the patent last better than black? Thoughts? Black + GHW? Good? Want something that looks gorgeous but can be worn with almost any outfit. Is black patent widely available in HK?

Black with gold hardware is my favorite. The only problem with black patent is that your finger prints will show up and you'll constantly be wiping it down if the finger prints bother you.

5. I've read about caviar v lambskin and caviar lasts longer. What is "caviar"? A type of leather? What do I ask the SA for?

"caviar" is embossed calfskin leather. Lambskin is also very durable. Search eBay for "vintage Chanel" and you will see that most of the vintage bags are made of lambskin. A lot of people worry because lambskin gets scuffs, but they can be rubbed out.

6. Size. Is the jumbo 2.55 a decent size for everyday use? I don't want something huge, but not tiny either.

Jumbo is a great size for everyday use.

7. Aftercare. Since having issues with Miu Miu leather quality I'd like to know what help/services Chanel offer if there is an issue...or maybe Chanel bags never have problems?

You can send any Chanel off to a boutique for cleaning at any time for a fee. For a new bag purchased from the boutique, the bag is covered for any repairs for one year.

8. The Chanel pearl necklaces look gorgeous, but on the website it says they are 'glass pearls' or something. They don't use real pearls?? Roughly how much are these necklaces if they're not real pearl?

Chanel pearl necklaces last for a very long time. Try searching "Chanel pearls" on eBay and you will see plenty of vintage pieces that look fabulous. The current retail prices of Chanel pears start at around $1,500.

9. Flats - do they last?

Yes, Chanel shoes hold up very nicely as well.