Heating leather before applying conditioner

faithbw

Mar 22, 2017
I was doing a Google search for where to buy leather conditioner in person (I don't feel like waiting for a delivery from Amazon) and during my search, a video came up suggesting that you heat leather with a hair dryer before applying leather conditioner so that the leather really absorbs the moisturizer. Here's a link below:

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/easy-tip-for-leather-conditioner/

The man in the video does this with shoes but I was wondering if anyone here has done this with a leather purse. Sometimes I do feel as if leather purses don't truly absorb conditioner but I have to admit I'm a little afraid to apply direct heat from a hair dryer to them.

I’ve never noticed a need to do this...I’ll occasionally gently heat part of a bag that has been sitting/folded wrong and warped, but I don’t know a reason this would make conditioner absorb differently.
What it will do is change the consistency of the PRODUCT slightly, making it a little more liquid and possibly then allowing it to be more easily worked into the crevices and grains.
But you could also accomplish this by gently heating the conditioner slightly.
Heating the leather itself does nothing good. Leather does have pores, but pores are not being ‘powered’ by anything and cannot open or contract. So heating or chilling the leather will not affect the pores at all.

I’ve never noticed a need to do this...I’ll occasionally gently heat part of a bag that has been sitting/folded wrong and warped, but I don’t know a reason this would make conditioner absorb differently.
What it will do is change the consistency of the PRODUCT slightly, making it a little more liquid and possibly then allowing it to be more easily worked into the crevices and grains.
But you could also accomplish this by gently heating the conditioner slightly.
Heating the leather itself does nothing good. Leather does have pores, but pores are not being ‘powered’ by anything and cannot open or contract. So heating or chilling the leather will not affect the pores at all.
Agreed! Don't heat the leather, bad idea! :smile:

Reactions: Shelby33