Food Healthy snack suggestions???

volleyballgal

Oct 18, 2007
I would love it if you ladies could suggest some healthy snacks! My homework load has increased drastically in the past couple of weeks and I found that I study better if Im eating. (Not a good habit, I know, but I tried drinking only water once and I did not do well on the test the next day...) It can be from a store or a homemade recipe! Just something light weight I can munch on for a couple of hours that wont make me become out of shape or spoil my dinner. :yes: As my name suggests, I do play volleyball and its really important that I eat healthy!

Buy a bag of cut up carrots and munch on those. Nuts are always good too as long as you don't end up eating the whole can;) Or what about plain air popped popcorn?

edamame
baby carrots
grapes
cherry tomatoes
Cheerios
dried fruit
unsalted nuts
sliced up apples
banana chips (Well, not really that healthy but indulgent enough to replace the usual unhealthy snacks)
Yogurt
small plate of fruit and cheese
Pita bread
bagel chips
whole wheat crackers w/veggie dip

I wish I wasnt so picky! I only like carrots with ranch and I could definitely eat a whole bag of walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc. ^^ Thanks for the list! No clue what edamame is but I will try bagel chips, grapes, and yogurt.

Are there any more suggestions out there?

Edamame is a Japanese snack. It's basically just soybeans and it's a great source for protein. You open up the pod, eat just beans, and throw the shell away. Another good thing about edamame for people on diets is that you have to use your hands to open up every pod while you eat so you end up eating less. It's active snacking!

august06_edamame.jpg

I buy celery, baby carrots, and grape tomatoes. Then I cut up the celery and throw a few pieces on a plate with some carrots and tomatoes. I use a spoonful of 30 calorie per serving diet ranch dressing for dipping. Sometimes I cut up a slice of deli turkey (25 calories per slice) into pieces and roll them up and skewer them with a toothpick. And then I have a whole plate of filling muchies for less than 100 calories. At times I'll add a few Wheat Thins (50 calories). And it makes me feel like I'm at a party to boot.

Veggies w/ hummus- the spicy kind is great! Wheat or other bread w/ high fiber count to fill you up, with a little bit of peanut butter, for protein, hard boiled eggs, if you take study breaks at home, you can make a quick egg scramble w/ veggies or replace eggs w/ egg beaters. What about making fruit smoothies w/ fruit, a bit of juice, yogurt and ice?

I make my own snack trail mix - unsalted roasted almonds, dried cranberries, raisins, occasionally mango and prunes, and sometimes I'll throw in a few chocolate chips to give it a sweet kick. I just put it in a little ziplock baggie and take it to work with me - great midmorning snack to hold me over until lunch!

I make my own snack trail mix - unsalted roasted almonds, dried cranberries, raisins, occasionally mango and prunes, and sometimes I'll throw in a few chocolate chips to give it a sweet kick. I just put it in a little ziplock baggie and take it to work with me - great midmorning snack to hold me over until lunch!

Yum! I love homemade trail mix :drool: It's a great snack that's filling.

sliced apples and a tablespoon of peanut butter
low fat string cheese and a piece of fruit
carrots and a tablespoon of peanut butter (don't doubt, just try)
sliced veggies (carrots, cucumber, black olives, etc.) and hummus
whole grain crackers and hummus
make-your-own fruit parfait with low fat vanilla yogurt, sliced strawberries and blueberries and low fat granola or a crunchy cereal like kashi go lean or optimum slim
individual size light butter or kettle corn popcorn bags
zone bars
oatmeal! buy old fashioned oats, zap it in the microwave for about 1 minute 20 seconds, add raspberries or sliced strawberries, a bit of honey and almonds :drool:

raw veggies with lowfat dressing or hummus
fresh fruit
reduced fat cottage cheese with fruit
Claussen dill pickles
greek yogurt with a tiny bit of honey
nuts, in the shell (like Archipelago said, it's good because they take awhile to eat!)
1% milk
deli turkey or chicken breast
Balance Bars

I also love to make banana "milkshakes." You just take one frozen banana and throw it in the blender with 1 cup of skim milk. Sometimes I add a little bit of whey powder too, for added protein. It tastes JUST like a banana milkshake, but it's actually healthy! It also works with frozen strawberries, blueberries, etc :wlae:

Sunflower seeds (shelled, it's fun to open them, plus you don't end up eating as much)

Carrots, celery and other veggies (maybe a dip, hummus?)

What I do with beans is usually rinse and drain the canned ones, spice them with a bit of oil and fav. spices then put them in the oven on low, they just roast and the oil kind of dries up but they become crispy (with a tender centre) little snacks. I can't imagine they'd be too unhealthy.

I like walnuts and dates as a snack, but walnuts can be fattening. A bit of nuts should be ok.

Raisins are another one of my favourite snacks, and they're healthy too.

Something a little more troublesome but worthwhile is a yam/sweet potato, I think it makes a great snack, I wrap them up in a foil then bake at 400 F or so until it's tender, the juices/sugars tend to come out and become a bit thick and carmalized on the bottom, a good source of fiber, and makes a nice "sweet" healthy snack.

Popcorn was another good suggestion. Other seeds like pumpkin seeds or a healthy trail mix is good.

And another weird idea that I sometimes enjoy are peas, just boiled (the frozen ones)