Heading to NYC next week - which bag to take?

alisonanna

O.G.
Aug 29, 2006
We'll probably mostly do casual activities, museums, shopping, walking, eating out.
I'll definitely bring my Longchamp for rain and a small crossbody that can just carry a wallet, but what other bag that can carry the extras?

Balenciaga Town - great but the crossbody strap is a little long
Fendi Chameleon - my first choice except it's a little on the heavy side
BV shoulder bag - no crossbody option

I have these nice bags, I might as well get them out and about!
We're packing light, so I don't want to bring them all.

I'd personally go with the Town. It's never any fun to sightsee with a heavy bag in tow, and I find the messenger option to be really useful especially if you plan to take the subway or have kids with you or do a lot of shopping and need your hands to be free.

Plus it's a good size - big enough for the day and not too big for evening. Also, it takes up hardly any space so would be really easy to pack in your luggage/carry on.

I don't know if you've tried wearing the strap of your town shorter, but whenever I got tired of wearing my Velo as a messenger, I would thread the strap through the rings and double it up so I could wear it as a shoulder bag.

Enjoy your trip!

I second doubling up the strap on the Bal. You can convert the length in a pinch. For a trip to the city, you basically need a hands-free situation. If you go shopping at all in mid-town, you'll want both your hands free to fondle all that delicious merchandise!

I live in NYC and can attest to the fact that having a crossbody bag is a lifesaver! Just make sure you bring a big enough back to carry whatever you need (water, snack if you need it, etc).