Have you ever recieved a big Hermes gift from a dear someone, and if so> Questions

jedimaster

O.G.
Dec 21, 2006
As always, I am interested in other people's experiences of this. If you have ever gotten a big Hermes gift (a birkin, a kelly, etc) - how did it happen? Was it

1. A "planned surprise" ? (in other words, husband knew you wanted a specific bag, and then went to the store and asked them to try to get it for him. you didnt realize he was doing this. you were not surprised by bag, but were surprised at its arrival).

2/ A "non-planned, non-surprise?" (You were in the store with your husband, you saw the bag, you said, I really like this but I feel guilty spending the money on myself, and your husband said, well, how about it i get it for you. You not really surprised by the bag or its arrival, but surprised at the sudden gesture.)

3. A "planned non suprise" (you said, honey I really want a [whatever] for my birthday, and he said, ok, find it and i will buy it for you. You are not surprised at anything, but grateful for his generosity. You have probably been married a long time and are beyond surprises)

Or - now this I would be really interested in hearing about:

4. A "Non planned Surprise" (you come home one day, there is a big orange box. you have no idea what is in it. turns out, husband went to store, asked to see your SA, made her show him some bags that she thought you might like, and then he just said I LIKE THIS ONE. I'LL TAKE IT. In this scenario, you are really surprised, if not downright shocked)

Would love to hear the stories...as for me, I cant say I have had any Hermes surprises yet, but thats OK.

1. A "planned surprise" ? (in other words, husband knew you wanted a specific bag, and then went to the store and asked them to try to get it for him. you didnt realize he was doing this. you were not surprised by bag, but were surprised at its arrival).

This happened with my Toto...saw it..wanted it for a year or so..DH came home with it one day for no reason!!

2/ A "non-planned, non-surprise?" (You were in the store with your husband, you saw the bag, you said, I really like this but I feel guilty spending the money on myself, and your husband said, well, how about it i get it for you. You not really surprised by the bag or its arrival, but surprised at the sudden gesture.)

Happened with my Barenia Picotin. I had just bought a bag less than a month before, Got an email for the Picotin...DH said..let's take a look..He saw it..loved it...we got it..

3. A "planned non suprise" (you said, honey I really want a [whatever] for my birthday, and he said, ok, find it and i will buy it for you. You are not surprised at anything, but grateful for his generosity. You have probably been married a long time and are beyond surprises)

Happened with my Kelly and Trim. DH knew I wanted both bags. We called all over and finally found the Kelly. He had wanted to get me a Kelly for two years and was ready to make the purchase. For the Trim, it was my first H bag. He felt it was time that I get something "large" from H. We went to the store, and we got it after calling the store to see if they had any Trims in stock.

Or - now this I would be really interested in hearing about:

4. A "Non planned Surprise" (you come home one day, there is a big orange box. you have no idea what is in it. turns out, husband went to store, asked to see your SA, made her show him some bags that she thought you might like, and then he just said I LIKE THIS ONE. I'LL TAKE IT. In this scenario, you are really surprised, if not downright shocked)

This happened with my Evelyne! I had a great Christmas for 2006. DHstarted small...Some Chanel flats, a Burberry coat, CD embroidered saddle bag, some other items...

Then he presented me with a small orange box...in it...a pink calache bracelet...I though nice...that was my H Cristmas gift...

But then he presented me with a long orange box...that was my Chaine D'Ancre bracelet. Wow! Two H gifts...

After that he presented me with two square boxes...Two Scarves...Well alright! It was an Orange Christmas...

I thought we were done

Then he pulled out a large H box...It was my Chartruese Evelyne! I had remarked that I was thinking about Chartruese and showed him the bag last time we were in the store...never thinking he would by it. We had always bought bags together! I was floored!! Best Christmas I have ever had!!!

^^^

I grew him in a Petri dish...I'm thinking of going into business with it, but I can't work out the kinks of him falling asleep on the couch and not picking up his socks....

Seriously, after years of him getting me the completely wrong gift or not having a gift at all(trust me..I have horror stories)

...he finally figured out that something from the Orange box = Wife Happy= DH Happy....

One stop shopping...he's all about making it easy on himself... :P

^^^

I grew him in a Petri dish...I'm thinking of going into business with it, but I can't work out the kinks of him falling asleep on the couch and not picking up his socks....

This is SO funny (and so sweet!)... Quinn's mom - I bet Quinn will grow up to have a great sense of humor and a great sense of generosity, too - just like his parents!

3. A "planned non suprise" (you said, honey I really want a [whatever] for my birthday, and he said, ok, find it and i will buy it for you. You are not surprised at anything, but grateful for his generosity. You have probably been married a long time and are beyond surprises)quote]

This happened this Christmas at the mothership. A lovely Kelly that will always have a special place in my heart for this reason. (You are right, we've been married a long time and were never much into surprises. I have to say though that this surprise thing is growing on me. I will always love to be surprised by a Kelly from DH.)

QM, your DH is a doll! Socks? Couch? Who cares!! They all have that kink....

Tamarind, what a nice story and what a lovely DH!

My story still has no ending. I told my boss two years ago that he was buying me a Kelly (that I had already ordered) for my 10th anniversary with the firm. That date came and went last year but the Kelly still has not arrived. We'll see if the boss really whips out the credit card when the Kelly finally arrives! He'd better or he will be in big trouble....

Ninja Sue, thank you -- I'll be sure to tell DH.
Sometimes I think I am a little inconsistent: I have always taken pride in my ability to buy my own H things, but it was so nice to be surprised by the non-surprise nevertheless. I hope your new Kelly comes soon.
When I read on tpf stories of people who surprised (especially the "real surprise" kind) by their loved ones with H gesture, I often cry. Sometimes I am just so sappy beyond belief.

I recieved my first and only birkin from my Husband. He knew I was always into bags and had asked my what would be my ultimate bag. I told him a Birkin. 8 months later my husband was in NYC for business and he went into the Madison Hermes store. He had never been to an H boutique in his life. The SA asked if he needed help and he said "yes I would like a birkin". He was told by the SA that they did not have any birkins available. He told them that he was not leaving without a bag and he would use "jedi mind tricks if necessary". Thirty minutes later they offered him a 35 orange swift and that is how I got my birkin.

Now we go to Hermes together and he always manages to get me gift while there. (Kellly 35, 6 scarves, pocket squares)

Most recently, I was on vacation last week in vegas. He called the store without me knowing to see if they had any bags I might be nterested in. He was going to have them hold them or buy to surprise me when I walked in the boutique. Unfortunatley, LV inventory was pretty low so his plan did not work . . . but it is the thought that counts

Def #2.

I walked in with my husband knowing I was going to walk out with a bracelet and my husband asked the SA if there are any Birkins and she said we have a high handled birkin (HAC) ...she asked my favorite color and hardware and I said pall and bleu jean and her face brightened and went searching in the back for it.

If it wasn't for my Hubby asking I don't think I would have asked since I never get a yes from any of the SA's I've encountered.

And I wasn't dressed appropriately...it was cold and I forgot my good coat at the hotel and was dressed in a sweatshirt and plain black skirt.

I bought it on my husbands birthday, and he's the one that put his name on the receipt so he could claim that he bought it for me.