Have you ever changed hardware at Hermes?

If the bag is made with phw Hermes won't change it I had a birkin noisette in vache liegge this bag had phw but the stamp was brown so I thought they could change it because well honestly who would know but turns out NO said HERMES once a bag has phw it stays with PHW and so..... This is what I know but I think you may be able to order it if you like !

I am looking at buying a pre-owned birkin at a good price, but the hardware is really badly scratched. Its GHW. Will Hermes take this bag in from me for repair/spa service and change the hardware? How much does this cost? Since I am not the original owner is it possible they will refuse to service the bag? ... I read somewhere on the forum they have become stricter with the spa policy.. I have never bought anything from an hermes store either...

I am looking at buying a pre-owned birkin at a good price, but the hardware is really badly scratched. Its GHW. Will Hermes take this bag in from me for repair/spa service and change the hardware? How much does this cost? Since I am not the original owner is it possible they will refuse to service the bag? ... I read somewhere on the forum they have become stricter with the spa policy.. I have never bought anything from an hermes store either...
As far as I know Hermès has no issue changing hardware as long as you're not changing the color. They told me they'd replace the HW on my 1952 Kelly without my asking (I like the old brass HW with the different font so I said no). I have replaced the turnlock on a Kelly wallet as well.
No idea what it would cost as the wallet HW replacement was done gratis as after-sales determined it was faulty.
Personally I have never experienced issues getting resale bags serviced - they knew I bought the 52 Kelly at an estate sale; they were happy to service my pre-loved Bolide; I have never been asked for a receipt on any spa bag old or new. BUT I know there have been some different experiences here on the forum.

My vintage Kelly is in Paris at the moment having (amongst other things) hardware replaced. I have no previous history with Hermes and there was no problem with them taking the bag for service. They recommended replacing the hardware as the turnlock was quite loose. They have quoted £130 for the turnlock and £85 for the side strap plates.

Reactions: candyapple15
As far as I know Hermès has no issue changing hardware as long as you're not changing the color. They told me they'd replace the HW on my 1952 Kelly without my asking (I like the old brass HW with the different font so I said no). I have replaced the turnlock on a Kelly wallet as well.
No idea what it would cost as the wallet HW replacement was done gratis as after-sales determined it was faulty.
Personally I have never experienced issues getting resale bags serviced - they knew I bought the 52 Kelly at an estate sale; they were happy to service my pre-loved Bolide; I have never been asked for a receipt on any spa bag old or new. BUT I know there have been some different experiences here on the forum.
My vintage Kelly is in Paris at the moment having (amongst other things) hardware replaced. I have no previous history with Hermes and there was no problem with them taking the bag for service. They recommended replacing the hardware as the turnlock was quite loose. They have quoted £130 for the turnlock and £85 for the side strap plates.

Thank you so much for your response QuelleFromage and Tonimichelle.

The store in my country told me its best to give the bag for repair in Paris directly while on a visit. The cost to ship it there from the store here would be enormous. Is that true? I am not sure when I will visit Paris again! Also, how long does it take..Do they ship it back from there or do we have to head back there to collect it?

Thank you so much for your response QuelleFromage and Tonimichelle.

The store in my country told me its best to give the bag for repair in Paris directly while on a visit. The cost to ship it there from the store here would be enormous. Is that true? I am not sure when I will visit Paris again! Also, how long does it take..Do they ship it back from there or do we have to head back there to collect it?
Usually Hermès handles the shipping both ways. I've never been charged for shipping to or from Paris - I assume they include in the cost. However if you are close to Paris I would take it yourself as it will expedite the process hugely.

Reactions: lilacto
Hello! Does anyone knows if it will be faster if I send the bag in Paris itself for hardware replacement? I just drop my constance on the floor and the H is full of scratches and some chip off. By the way it is only 2months old! So heartbroken!

Attachments

• IMG_20180517_143105.jpg
    IMG_20180517_143105.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 473
Would Hermès change the Palladium Guilloché hardware on my black box Birken to regular Palladium hardware? I have had this bag sitting in my closed since 2014 as honestly, I was rather disappointed receiving my dream bag back then after having waited for it for almost 2 years not with the regular Palladium hardware. My SA back then said that in this year they did the guilloché hardware as a special. But to be honest, not too keen on it. Do you think they would easily change it? Any idea about the cost in 2021? Many thanks

Would Hermès change the Palladium Guilloché hardware on my black box Birken to regular Palladium hardware? I have had this bag sitting in my closed since 2014 as honestly, I was rather disappointed receiving my dream bag back then after having waited for it for almost 2 years not with the regular Palladium hardware. My SA back then said that in this year they did the guilloché hardware as a special. But to be honest, not too keen on it. Do you think they would easily change it? Any idea about the cost in 2021? Many thanks
I’d have liked a palladium guilloche, saw a few pics of those on box Kelly here on the forum and it looks amazing. I think when I got mine HW replaced, lock and straps but not feet, it was about 7-800 euros about 4-5 years ago and took about 6 months. My SA explained that it was a lot of labor involved. The artisan has to open up the front leather panel to replace the lock and then resew it back.

Wow, I’d kill for BBB with guilloché. I would not be surprised if you could find someone to trade a regular PHW box Birkin with you. My gut is H won’t change it, but worth asking.

Thank you very much for your insights. I know, feeling very bad about writing the above. Maybe I should just start using the bag and then see if I fall in love with it?

Trading it to the same specs but with palladium could be an option too - but I would need to be super super certain that I receive a brand new bag as mine has not seen the daylight at all....where would I find someone trading his/her bag with me?

And I'm def going to ask my SA when I'm sitting down next time with her. But my gut feeling is quite aligned with yours, most likely H is not going to change the hardware...

I’d have liked a palladium guilloche, saw a few pics of those on box Kelly here on the forum and it looks amazing. I think when I got mine HW replaced, lock and straps but not feet, it was about 7-800 euros about 4-5 years ago and took about 6 months. My SA explained that it was a lot of labor involved. The artisan has to open up the front leather panel to replace the lock and then resew it back.
Wow, I’d kill for BBB with guilloché. I would not be surprised if you could find someone to trade a regular PHW box Birkin with you. My gut is H won’t change it, but worth asking.
I believe that Hermes will not change any details of a bag from its original specifications.

Reactions: thelilachour